Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Winter tyres - Bridgestone Blizzak

Looks like your model doesn't display individual tyre pressures. It's a simple fault indication with warning light.

Your handbook also doesn't indicate one can register two sets of ID codes, implying one will have to get the dealership to swap the wheels over come spring and register that set of ID codes to the system again.

My apologies, my posts above don't appear relevant to your model. :blush: 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Looks like your model doesn't display individual tyre pressures. It's a simple fault indication with warning light.

Your handbook also doesn't indicate one can register two sets of ID codes, implying one will have to get the dealership to swap the wheels over come spring and register that set of ID codes to the system again.

My apologies, my posts above don't appear relevant to your model. :blush: 

No problem @NemesisUK, at least I'm not going mad! 

2 hours ago, Vlady said:

I see no point in having 4 TPMS if they do not show the pressure in each wheel, why would Lexus do that?

I’ve never had a car which displayed pressures by tyre in the car...but this is my fourth or fifth with TPMS.

There are two common systems for providing tyre pressure loss warning.

The ABS relative rotational speed system, a change in relative rotational speed of one wheel compared with the other three can indicate a change in tyre pressure. No individual pressures are reported. A simple warning light is displayed.

The second is the use of valve pressure sensors, constantly reporting pressure and temperature of each tyre. This system can report individual pressures if the manufacturer so desires. It seems Lexus use this system across the ranges but only implement it's full capabilities in certain models. Perhaps to differentiate those models?

AFAIK the former (ABS) system is the minimum required to comply with current EU regulations.

• Thanks 1

My commute is 15 miles on c-roads and single track lanes. Over the past two mornings the roads have been icy with below feeezing temperatures added to damp conditions.

The initial signs for tyre grip are good. These Bridgestone do inspire confidence, and feel very grippy indeed. I don't think they're any better than my previous Falken Winter tyres, but they are quieter. Fingers crossed they are good if and when the going gets snowy...but so far I'm impressed.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Fair to say that the Winter tyres have had a good workout this week! Snow yesterday gave way to rain and then it all froze solid. Some of the rural lanes were almost impassable with even a slight incline - a stranded BMW was very brave even attempting the lanes in those conditions imho and even fwd cars found one long hill impossible to get up - but my NX with the Bridgestone Blizzaks took everything in their stride without any fuss at all.

I'm unable to compare what the NX would have been like on the standard Summer tyres, but I am impressed with how surefooted it was with the Winters fitted. Very pleased. Money well spent.

• Like 1

Unfortunately one of my Winter tyres has a nail in it - and it's unrepairable ☹️

Worth pointing out this exact model - the Blizzak Evo-80 - has now been discontinued. I have been able to get a new tyre to match online, but won't be able to for long so have to hope this doesn't happen again. There is a new Bridgestone Blizzak available instead.

Only upside is that while we await the replacement tyre to get to Lexus Swindon - 3 or 4 days - I have a nice courtesy car...

fullsizeoutput_508.thumb.jpeg.854526bcefa8760e9c74ec8e2db3707f.jpegfullsizeoutput_50a.thumb.jpeg.a41f5b68a8080d2049c28282ee619f81.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My Summer wheels and tyres went back on this morning (so blame me if we now have a freezing Easter!). Very impressed with the Blizzaks, and going back to the standard fit Yokohama BluEarth shows how much quieter they (the Blizzaks) are which is unusual for Winter tyres in my experience, and how much softer they make the ride.

I can't wait to get enough miles on these Yokohamas so that I can replace them, but that may take some time given my mileage! 

Have to say I also prefer the look with the black wheels vs the standard fit silver finish. Ho hum. 

• 11 months later...

Another Winter with the Blizzaks fitted is almost over, and they continue to impress. Although we've had hardly any really cold weather this year, when the roads are damp and the temperature is between 0 and 5 degrees they do inspire confidence.

Wear seems good too. I guess they've done about 8k miles over the two Winter periods that they've been fitted, and are only 10-15% worn, if that.