Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200t 2016 or IS300H

I have my eye on an IS200T 2016, having read the reviews are the issues with turbo lag and automatic gearbox shifting issues really a big issue, would be interested to hear from any owners comments. Is the IS300h a safer bet? 

Can't comment on the IS200T but having owned a 2014 300h f Sport I would certainly buy another if I were in the market for that size saloon.

Don't know what the VEL is on the 200T, but think it was either £20 or £30 for the 300h.

I like the cvt gearbox , but you may prefer a conventional auto. I had excellent fuel consumption details of which were recorded in my posts here.

The 200t is certainly the more sporty offering. I think the tax was quite a chunk more than the IS300h is. The 200t's are rare though and therefore command a little bit of a premium. 

Whilst driving, the turbo lag is minor, its only from a standstill where it takes a bit to get going but its not much different to the IS300h.

Drive both, see what you think.

• Like 1

With the eCVT, the 300h already has its own form of turbo-style lag, so as mentioned above I doubt either 200 or 300 will offer much difference on that point.

But the 200 has a traditional auto box which behaves quite differently to the cvt in the 300, and you could find that you substitute gearbox shifting issues with a gear-less cvt “box” that may not give you the same driving experience as the 200 would. 

They look the same (apart from the dual exhaust on the 200t), but rather different to drive.
You really should test drive both to make an informed decision.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Comedian said:

You could remap the turbo for more power.

Sent from my BV5800 using Tapatalk

Very true, Stage 1 is around 270hp but I doubt it would do anything for the lag itself. 

I drive IS 300h and this car is good for quiet movement from A to B. There is enough power if you want accelerate. But... almost since beginnig I have vibrations at 70 km/h, 90 km/k and 140 km/h. So if I had a choice again I wouldn't buy 300h because of that issues. I don't believe any more that Lexus care about customers. 

This mean: I would be carefull what you buy. Better simple engines and transmissions, even worse mpg but no issues in future.

1 hour ago, Undziak said:

I drive IS 300h and this car is good for quiet movement from A to B. There is enough power if you want accelerate. But... almost since beginnig I have vibrations at 70 km/h, 90 km/k and 140 km/h. So if I had a choice again I wouldn't buy 300h because of that issues. I don't believe any more that Lexus care about customers. 

This mean: I would be carefull what you buy. Better simple engines and transmissions, even worse mpg but no issues in future.

I dont think this is a widespread issue. Certainly no vibrations on my car which is an early 63 plate. 

Lexus customer service in the UK is exemplary, can't comment on other countries apart from the US

2 hours ago, Undziak said:

This really seems to affect non-UK vehicles, very rare for UK owners to notice the problem. I was able to replicate the issue at 50 mph on a slight incline but changing the speed by a couple of mph either way solves the issue so I never felt it worthwhile trying to get the TSB fitted which reduces/solves the issue.

Thanks for responses so far, test drive of 200t is imminent. Another question, is the cambelt a servicable item on the engine or is it a chain that does not need the same servicing.... I'm coming away from a ct200h and the 200t is an f-sport... Will it be any more comfortable on the road as Ct is quite a harsh ride on the back roads.... 

25 minutes ago, cadman2k said:

Thanks for responses so far, test drive of 200t is imminent. Another question, is the cambelt a servicable item on the engine or is it a chain that does not need the same servicing.... I'm coming away from a ct200h and the 200t is an f-sport... Will it be any more comfortable on the road as Ct is quite a harsh ride on the back roads.... 

Theyre massively more comfortable than the CT. The IS F-Sport is much more comfortable than even a base CT. 

They're all chain driven I believe

• 3 weeks later...

Having driven both they are very different machines. Off the mark the 200T is a little frustrating to move off quickly due to a lag. Turbo lag then on is not an issue, it’s the same in my Audi S3 with the massively hyped dual clutch gearbox. The 8 speed is generally very good. Power far superior and it gets 500 miles from a tank doing 70-75mph on the motorway. There is also the absence of the Battery charging noise or CVT whine but I would say the Hybrid is overall a more relaxed drive but less fun.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links