Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

CT200h insurance ..expensive?

MadJam250

Just swapped my insurance over and seen my premium increase by 50%! For someone who's been driving for 30+ years with a good history and no points etc, I'm not the overall risk that's hiked the price, so it must be the car. The only thing I can think of is that it's a hybrid (ie. replacement parts?). Will certainly be shopping around at renewal.

Anyone else notice the same for their insurance?

Hi Martin,

I suppose it depends on what you were insuring before?

Mine also doubled, but then I went from a 2008 IS220d worth about £1000 to my current GS450h with a value 18 times the IS.

It wasn't the increase in cost that annoyed me the most though, it was the excess - from £95 to £345!  As someone who likes to minimise risk, the fact that no insurance is available with a lower excess is frustrating.

Still, hopefully I will never have to use it. :smile:

• Thanks 1

Hi Martin. I have not insured a CT, but I did have a Prius that uses the same mechanical's as the CT. The insurance for that with everything included even breakdown cover was below £200 with an excess of £150.
Having now changed to a GS450H I am still only paying £285 for the same cover, and an excess of £50. Millage is limited to 10,000 miles, but I have another car, and am able to easily keep this limit.

I do shop around every year at renewal time.

John.

• Thanks 1

It is higher than something like a Ford Focus where by parts are plentiful and cheap but it isn't too bad. I doubt there as many pattern parts for a Lexus so repairs are going to need expensive oem parts (all the better for it I say).

I went from a 2014 Advance to a 2018 F Sport and the price hardly moved as the increased value was offset by the lower insurance group owing to the auto emergency braking now included. 

• Thanks 1

i have a 17 plate IS300h F Sport my insurance August this year is £248, i'm 50 and have been driving for 33 years

my insurance went up £100 when i changed from a CT to an IS300h so the ct's aren't expensive to insure

but it does depend on what you insured before.

I used to drive a 2006 IS250 and, also, being in my 50s, it was reasonably priced to insure. I have since owned a BMW 1 series (bad mistake), Ford Fiesta Ecoboost and a 1.0 VW Polo, all of which were reasonably priced also, and less that the IS. The Polo's renewal, in September, was £198 and replacing that with the CT it's gone up to £350! I will do some online quotes and see if I can end my policy early and go elsewhere, or just wait til next Sept to bag a better deal then. I do feel I have been ripped off though. 

10 minutes ago, MadJam250 said:

I used to drive a 2006 IS250 and, also, being in my 50s, it was reasonably priced to insure. I have since owned a BMW 1 series (bad mistake), Ford Fiesta Ecoboost and a 1.0 VW Polo, all of which were reasonably priced also, and less that the IS. The Polo's renewal, in September, was £198 and replacing that with the CT it's gone up to £350! I will do some online quotes and see if I can end my policy early and go elsewhere, or just wait til next Sept to bag a better deal then. I do feel I have been ripped off though. 

Your risk increases after a certain age so it could be that.

Also, there might be more thefts or car insurance claims in your area from last year. 

Remember that you are insuring a relatively rare luxury car in a higher insurance bracket than a 1.0l Polo for which plenty of parts are available at a reasonable cost. When Lexus gets into an accident, you can be sure the parts are expensive and sometimes this factors into insurance cost. 

#actually, I think that Lexus cars are comparatively cheap to insure: they are very reliable and, despite the fact that they are often powerful, they are not your typical boy racer cars.

• 3 weeks later...

64 years old, 2 cars on separate policies, fully comp, both max NCD,  protected, wife driving, etc etc.

2008 Prius runaround, £237.16

2011 5 litre V8 ISF, funcar,  £239.27!!!

Yep, £2.11 difference.

I did check to make sure there hadn't been a mistake. Obviously being an old git and eligible for Saga has benefits!!