Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A few questions from a new owner

1st post, probably in the wrong place but hey that's what mods and admins are for 🙄🤣 

So anyway today I bought my first Lexus, a 2006 LS430 in silver with beige leather (or cream or whatever its called these days) car was an "import" from Southern Ireland into the North and so now has a nice new 2018 registration (thanks DVLA) 1 owner from new (elderly gentleman) some service history including a bill for the complete replacement of both front shocks and other bits and only 76,000 miles on it. 
anyway its missing a few bits namely the chrome trim on both the front and rear bumpers, back left parking sensor (the one on the corner) and the drivers side front inner arch plastic cover thing. I also need to replace the right rear light cluster and for some reason my front right fog light seems to be unplugged (i'll investigate that tomorrow) 
Being an "import" the speedometer is in KPH and not MPH - is there an easy fix for that or does it involve changing clocks and dealers and loads of money?  (I can live without it doing the maths in my head) 
I'd also like to update the Sat Nav (not important its just if its cheap enough to do) 
So is there any where in the UK that I can find those bits? eBay confuses me and I think a 2nd hand sensor would do (as long as it was silver) 
I am really taken aback by the car so far, everything still works, I don't have the rear electrics (just heated seats)  but also wonder is it possible to retro fit the cooler?  And lastly does anyone have a nice UK manual for the car they would like to sell? 

Lexus 1.jpg

Lexus 2.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome onboard, lovely looking car.  The best way is to call Paul Frost, he breaks LS's.  He trades on eBay as Lexussparesdirect and you'll find his number there.  He'll be able to help you with all those issues.  

Yes a great looking LS, I would say that though as mines identical and 06 year!

Second for Paul.  Very nice helpful chap and will have the bits you need including a manual.  I'm not sure it would be worth retro fitting the rear cooler,  I think I've only ever used mine once in nearly two years.  I've used a freezer bag far more for trips away.

1 hour ago, nickd said:

Yes a great looking LS, I would say that though as mines identical and 06 year!

Second for Paul.  Very nice helpful chap and will have the bits you need including a manual.  I'm not sure it would be worth retro fitting the rear cooler,  I think I've only ever used mine once in nearly two years.  I've used a freezer bag far more for trips away.

In that case you've used your cooler more than me!  I agree about a retro fit, a massive amount of work, especially as it's cooled through the AC system.

Ok cheers I'll look Paul up and get in touch - as for the cooler it was just a thought as I would have used it but as you say I can live without it 🙂 Radiator seems fine is there something lurking within I may not be aware of? I'm getting the belts done as I cant see any reference to them in the history and as the cars 12 years old I think it worth doing (just in case) unless I am missing something there as well? 

10 minutes ago, BMCWP said:

Ok cheers I'll look Paul up and get in touch - as for the cooler it was just a thought as I would have used it but as you say I can live without it 🙂 Radiator seems fine is there something lurking within I may not be aware of? I'm getting the belts done as I cant see any reference to them in the history and as the cars 12 years old I think it worth doing (just in case) unless I am missing something there as well? 

The radiator coolant has been know to contaminate the trans fluid causing failure which it terminal.  For that reason some have taken the precaution and replaced the rad.  The only thing separating the the two is a couple of O rings.  The tranny is cooled through the rad, easy job though.

4 hours ago, The-Acre said:

The radiator coolant has been know to contaminate the trans fluid causing failure which it terminal.

do bear this in ind Brian, it is a simple enough and cheap enough " fix " and should prevent you having a terminal car on your hands ...  it sure isn't in any service manual, just the wisdom gained here from a couple of owners who have had that  very expensive failure

Malc

Ok cheers I'll get that added to the list of things to do 🙂
I'm doing the cam belts as mentioned as I can't find any reference to them - also on the dash cluster I might leave that as I am on the border of Northern Ireland and while we are in MPH the south are in KPH 😕 it would have been handy to have a simple readout in MPH but I can do the basics such as its just near here we get a lot of speed camera vans and mobile patrols with itchy operators looking for somebody a few MPH over so I will err on the side of caution or just use an app on my phone for now and save the cost (as the car was over 10 years old when "imported" I don't need a MPH speedo for MOT 🙂

Also just on that, the tax for my car is only £255 for the year and that came as a bit of a surprise as my last car a 3.0V6 VW was £550 😕 but that was nothing to the tax in the south  

Tax Disk Ireland.jpg

my other car, 2006 56 plate Honda Legend 3.5ltr is £550 road tax too .......  my elderly Ls400 is only £255

you seem to have escaped the clutches of the hefty road tax............... lucky you

Malc

I don't know about the 430 but I've just had my 460 Nav updated. It is a 4 disc set covering the whole of Europe, Ukraine and Turkey.  The price was 129 Euros (£115),

Welcome aboard. You are very lucky because the tax changed in March 2006, so you must have one of the last cars on the lower rate.

I imported my 430 from Ireland when the road tax went up to 1800 euro a year. At that time there were more 430s for sale in Ireland than in the UK! Curiously though, my facelift 204 model, first registered in Galway, has an mph speedo.

Does yours have no sunroof? A nice advantage of the Irish model spec.

Jon

On 10/28/2018 at 2:33 PM, jonthetourist said:

Welcome aboard. You are very lucky because the tax changed in March 2006, so you must have one of the last cars on the lower rate.

I imported my 430 from Ireland when the road tax went up to 1800 euro a year. At that time there were more 430s for sale in Ireland than in the UK! Curiously though, my facelift 204 model, first registered in Galway, has an mph speedo.

Does yours have no sunroof? A nice advantage of the Irish model spec.

Jon

Yes I must have one of the last before the hike, the car has no sunroof but thankfully the AC still works (in fact everything does except the steering wheel) I even found out I have the soft close doors by basically not closing it properly and watching in amazement as the door pulled itself closed - I just assumed it did not have them as it was not mentioned when I bought it 🙂
I found an app for my phone called DigiHud and it works perfectly and I checked its reading with a speed detector sign and it read 1mph out so that's fine for me and one less thing to worry about. 
Getting the car booked in soon for the engine work (belts) and to a local upholstery person to refoam the drivers seat base as its gone thin. 

1 hour ago, BMCWP said:

Getting the car booked in soon for the engine work (belts)

you do know this is an extensive labour job and cambelt, pulleys and waterpump usually changed at the same time .........  about 8 hrs ..  :Jumpy:

Malc

Yes I am aware all of that needs done but I intend to keep the car as long as possible so I am quite happy to do it 🙂 (Its booked in for 2 days as I am getting a service and all the other little things checked while I am at it) one other thing though does anyone know where to get replacement drivers seat foam from for the ventilated seats?  my seat needs re-done 

2 hours ago, BMCWP said:

Yes I am aware all of that needs done but I intend to keep the car as long as possible so I am quite happy to do it 🙂 (Its booked in for 2 days as I am getting a service and all the other little things checked while I am at it) one other thing though does anyone know where to get replacement drivers seat foam from for the ventilated seats?  my seat needs re-done 

If you were in my part of the world I'd recommend someone.  Maybe the best way is to ask St Google for car trimmers in your area. Keep us posted on the future work, you've got a real beauty there!

Plenty of trimmers and upholsterers but as soon as I mention ventilated seats there is a sharp intake of breath... 😕 I'll get a soft cushion made for now until I can find something 

Lovely car.  Congratulations :)

My front and rear bumper strips could probably do with replacing, - I enquired to the eBay Lexus guy above, and he said that he couldn't help as they crack when removed.  What you have - no strips  might be the best option... ?

Seemingly its just a stick on 3/8ths inch chrome strip (about 9.52mm) that you can buy in the likes of Halfords - I will have to double check that as I cant find the link to confirm  the size 😕 I was up there last week and they had some but could not remember the size, I think if I can find some on eBay that will do rightly 🙂
I emailed that eBay chap through ebays system but have had no reply yet. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BMCWP said:

Seemingly its just a stick on 3/8ths inch chrome strip (about 9.52mm) that you can buy in the likes of Halfords - I will have to double check that as I cant find the link to confirm  the size 😕 I was up there last week and they had some but could not remember the size, I think if I can find some on ebay that will do rightly 🙂
I emailed that ebay chap through ebays system but have had no reply yet. 

Yes, self adhesive. I used it on a previous LS, bought from Halfords and it looked fine.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links