Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Moving from RX400 to...?

Thinking of changing my 10 year old RX400. Reluctantly, because it has never let me down in the five years I've owned it, and it's a lovely drive, of course. So would like another hybrid and am thinking of a 4 or 5 year old RX450 or maybe an NX. Also, the new RAV4 Hybrid looks tempting. Any thoughts, comments or advice most welcome!

We went from a 2005 RX300 to a late 2013 (63-plate) RX450h and we love it.

The 300 was brilliant but the 450h is a whole order of magnitude better. Comfier, plusher, quieter, better in every way. You won't be disappointed if you go for an RX450h, I promise you.

• Like 2

I went from an RX400h to a NX300h. As the new RX's are larger the NX is actually similar in size to the RX400h. Length and width are very similar. Height is slightly less. The figures I've seen suggest the boot capacity is bigger on the NX. It doesn't look it in real life so I don't believe the figures although the wheel arches intrude less at least. It feels similar size inside while driving although the centre console seems higher and doesn't move so it feels a like it cocoons you a bit more.

I've found the ride and seat on the NX slightly harder (and I have a Premium not an F Sport). I do find the adaptive cruise control makes a huge difference to making driving more relaxing though.

My RX would do 28-31mpg. This does 37-40mpg. CO2 is lower so tax for my 15 plate is £110 instead of £270 for the RX. Insurance was about the same. However it feels pretty slow in comparison. Figures are 9.5s to 60 instead of 7.6s but it also feels like it's trying hard when you push it. The RX was effortless, the NX is just loud and revy when pushed. Around town up to 40 in sport mode its pretty nippy and there's not much between them but over 40 and you realise the RX is in a different league. 

I do love the NX. With the Premier I have a shed load of toys, the styling inside and out is great. I like the better fuel economy of the NX and greener credentials but I do miss the engine in the RX. It's a pity that 10 years on Lexus couldn't manage green and fast.

Someone rear-ended the NX a week ago and I've had a base spec(?) manual diesel 318 as a loan car. I've missed the quiet, smooth comfort of my NX so much.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, javadude said:

I went from an RX400h to a NX300h. As the new RX's are larger the NX is actually similar in size to the RX400h. Length and width are very similar. Height is slightly less. The figures I've seen suggest the boot capacity is bigger on the NX. It doesn't look it in real life so I don't believe the figures although the wheel arches intrude less at least. It feels similar size inside while driving although the centre console seems higher and doesn't move so it feels a like it cocoons you a bit more.

I've found the ride and seat on the NX slightly harder (and I have a Premium not an F Sport). I do find the adaptive cruise control makes a huge difference to making driving more relaxing though.

My RX would do 28-31mpg. This does 37-40mpg. CO2 is lower so tax for my 15 plate is £110 instead of £270 for the RX. Insurance was about the same. However it feels pretty slow in comparison. Figures are 9.5s to 60 instead of 7.6s but it also feels like it's trying hard when you push it. The RX was effortless, the NX is just loud and revy when pushed. Around town up to 40 in sport mode its pretty nippy and there's not much between them but over 40 and you realise the RX is in a different league.

I had an NX for a couple of days last week while my 400h was being serviced. Chris has saved me a long post because I'd agree with all that.

I've always considered the 450h to be the next step after a 400h.

• Like 3

On 10/26/2018 at 7:30 PM, olliesgrandad said:

If you are considering an NX make sure you have a long test drive in the model you are considering. I tried one and after 10 miles my back ached. I now have a 2015 RX450h and it's the most comfortable car I've ever driven. 

Over the past year I’ve had ‘standard’ NXs and an F-Sport on long term loan, and I’d agree with you @olliesgrandad

The F-Sport ride and seats were too hard for me, I find the standard set-up more comfortable.

Should add that I’ve also had an RX450h F-Sport and a standard Sport model and found similar - the standard set-up was far more to my taste (and quieter too).

• Like 1

On 10/29/2018 at 8:25 AM, First_Lexus said:

Over the past year I’ve had ‘standard’ NXs and an F-Sport on long term loan, and I’d agree with you @olliesgrandad

The F-Sport ride and seats were too hard for me, I find the standard set-up more comfortable.

Should add that I’ve also had an RX450h F-Sport and a standard Sport model and found similar - the standard set-up was far more to my taste (and quieter too).

On the other hand, I prefer the set up of the F Sport: I find the seats firm, but supportive in the right places. My coccyx area used to go numb after a long drive in our previous RX400h and RX450h, something I have not experienced in the NX F Sport. I also find that the F Sport is better controlled around tight bends and roundabouts. You should try and secure a 24 hour test drive with each...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links