Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Warming up the car

Hi all. With the cold mornings now upon us, does anyone know if it's possible to warm the car up safely locked on the driveway? I could do that with my previous car, but does the keyless entry on the 300h prevent this? Would be handy, especially given the rather weedy seat warmers! Thanks. 

49 minutes ago, Pink said:

Hi all. With the cold mornings now upon us, does anyone know if it's possible to warm the car up safely locked on the driveway? I could do that with my previous car, but does the keyless entry on the 300h prevent this? Would be handy, especially given the rather weedy seat warmers! Thanks. 

The keyless entry system will stop you locking the car with the car in ready mode, I do not believe this can be overridden simply.

John.

• Thanks 1

in the USA they have enform app on their cars

this app lets them remotely start / stop heat or cool their cars

i'm not sure if this is available in the uk here is a link https://www.lexus.com/enform

or there is the webasto car pre heaters

here is a link https://www.webasto.com/gb/markets-products/car/retrofit-parking-heater/

• Thanks 2

US models have a completely different Infotainment systems. Sat. radio, GPRS/3G data connection for remote app, concierge service, auto emergency services calling in an accident.

Replicating the same in Europe is quite a challenge. Different languages, different laws, different carriers for data agreements, low sales volumes etc.

You could try using the door buttons to lock the car from the inside and then closing the door obviously with the keys in your pocket. 

It'll beep 3 times but that's it. 

There's no reason to warm the car up in cold weather. When I had my 300h work was 1 1/2 miles away and the car reached warm within a mile. 

Plus I believe it's illegal to leave a car running unattended. 

Sorry to pee on your bonfire. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

There's no reason to warm the car up in cold weather. When I had my 300h work was 1 1/2 miles away and the car reached warm within a mile. 

Whilst cold leather seats in the morning aren’t ideal, it’s much more about clear windows for me. Bit OCD about it. I like full clear viz all around before I pull off the driveway, and running the car for a few mins first achieves that. My bonfire’s still good tho’, no worries ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Glad your bonfire still good Pink. Nowt wrong with being a bit OCD. Yup misted up windows is a curse and as I mentioned in another thread a time ago that I wish Lexus had a system like Ford. Ford screens demist in seconds not minutes like in the 3 Lexus I've had. So I feel for you.

• Like 1

Not sure if Ford still hold the patent on the heated screen tech. I had it on my SEAT Alhambra (Ford Galaxy) and it was fantastic.

Mercedes have it on their Protection option but at a massive premium.

IMHO this tech should be freely available, fantastic at virtually instant screen clearance,  obviously a significant safety function.

On 11/2/2018 at 7:47 PM, Mr Vlad said:

Not only can I pre-heat our other car using a phone app, I can even unlock it, open/close doors, 'start' the car - keyless driving, and even 'summon' - move the car with no one inside it at all.....

I use the preheat feature all the time at the moment, its fab been able to step into a warm car even when its close to 0 degrees outside, not been arrested so far:).

new-tesla-app-header.jpg?resize=1024,0&q

On 10/28/2018 at 7:39 PM, 200h said:

in the USA they have enform app on their cars

this app lets them remotely start / stop heat or cool their cars

i'm not sure if this is available in the uk here is a link https://www.lexus.com/enform

or there is the webasto car pre heaters

here is a link https://www.webasto.com/gb/markets-products/car/retrofit-parking-heater/

Looks great, why doesn't Lexus do this in the UK?

Nissan/Renault/BMW/Jaguar/Tesla all have Apps in the UK that offer these services.

15 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Looks great, why doesn't Lexus do this in the UK?

Toyota don't believe the climate in the UK warrants the extra cost. The series II Prius in the UK never had the big vacuum flask that stored all the coolant in overnight to keep it warm, the IS300h doesn't have a shutter on the radiator intake to stop airflow in winter as other European markets do, the older Yaris didn't have a cooled EGR etc. etc.  

Ganzoom you ain't gonna get arrested either with that function your tesla has.

Yes Toyota / Lexus miss out on functions other manufacturers have fitted for years. 

i've always been sceptical regarding the use of warm water on a cold windscreen

so i've always used cold water as its still warmer than the ice on the windscreen

and it melts the ice really quickly.

2 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

I use warm water to defrost the windows and a coat to keep the inside warm.

Being in t’North, you’re much hardier than us Southern folk ! 😜 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Pink said:

Being in t’North, you’re much hardier than us Southern folk ! 😜 

you've got that right gareth no softies up here

• Like 2

Have you considered an electric engine preheater. There may be a "proper" one available for the IS, there is for the RX available on eBay or just get a generic one that pubs into the cooling circuit

DEFA make the Toyota/Lexus ones that fit in a socket on the back of the block

On 10/28/2018 at 11:07 AM, Pink said:

One possible solution 😮

8C5CCACB-10B0-4474-8573-2E776B11DBC4.jpeg

• Haha 1