Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying used RC F Advice

Hey folks,

I've owned an IS250 for 5 years and been keeping an eye out for something a bit bonkers to keep for a couple of years before kids/responsibilities come along.

Test Drove a '16 RC F this weekend and loved it. Sound, interior and performance put it above the M4 I tried out with no contest.

Anyone have any advice on:

- What to look out for? Beyond usual used car things anything to double check on the RC F?

- It's a SEAT/Mitsubishi franchise that have it, they've got a decent rep but I've had great experience with Lexus in the past. My local lexus dealership haven't had any pop up so I'm struggling to decide between travelling across the water (I'm in NI) to get the 2 years approved warranty or risking going with what's left on the manufacturers's warranty from the seat guys. 

Hello and welcome, I'm new to RC-F ownership so not as knowledgable as many members on here.

I too tried a 16 reg RC-f and really liked it, I went home and did a bit of research and discovered that the 17 reg/year cars had Adaptive Variable Suspension fitted which appealed to me despite the increase in budget. Now being a self confessed gadget freak I was pleased with the AVS model and was glad I did a bit more research.

The cars seem to be pretty reliable and I'm not aware of any issues to date. You can buy the extended warranty for what I consider a very reasonable price that is compared to other cars I've owned.

• Like 1

Other than some slight misting in both headlights which were changed under warranty I didn't have any issues with mine, I came from a GS 450h f sport which had AVS which gave me the option of changing the ride comfort the RC-F did not have this and I felt the ride comfort was a bit hard for me,  but as David has mentioned the 2017 model has AVS, 

• Like 2

No weak points or issues to speak of, condition and service history is everything in my opinion.

I came from an IS250, bought an IS-F and then moved on to a GS-F and I have never looked back, absolutely fantastic cars, not sure about them out performing an M4, unless its wet, but the rarity and rock solid reliability swing it for me every time, get one and you will love it...………..

• Like 1

Take the plunge and get it. I'm 8 years into continuous F ownership and can't see me changing for many more

I suggest you find a dealer to build a relationship with for servicing, though you may not be spoiled for choice in NI

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all the great helpful comments!

I was curious why the car had made its way to a different dealer when it had originally been traded in to Lexus. Local franchise sales guy is saying the car had been in accident with £12k in repairs performed so they'd passed it on, the seller denied any knowledge but on close inspection you can see uneven panel gaps on the rear. 

Unfortunately that's the only RC F for sale in NI and given their rarity I'm looking at getting one from the mainland - through Lexus or going over and bringing one back on the boat.

Lexus are happy to ship one over albeit just seeing pictures - so if anyone's got the lowdown on any of the 15/16 non-carbons currently for sale I'd be very happy to receive any tip offs :D! (Or any that are coming up, I'm not in a huge rush)

10 hours ago, Dylan1312 said:

Thanks everyone for all the great helpful comments!

I was curious why the car had made its way to a different dealer when it had originally been traded in to Lexus. Local franchise sales guy is saying the car had been in accident with £12k in repairs performed so they'd passed it on, the seller denied any knowledge but on close inspection you can see uneven panel gaps on the rear. 

Unfortunately that's the only RC F for sale in NI and given their rarity I'm looking at getting one from the mainland - through Lexus or going over and bringing one back on the boat.

Lexus are happy to ship one over albeit just seeing pictures - so if anyone's got the lowdown on any of the 15/16 non-carbons currently for sale I'd be very happy to receive any tip offs :D! (Or any that are coming up, I'm not in a huge rush)

Naughty dealer, still I guess everyone has to earn a living regardless of their principles.

There is a low mileage red RCF at Lexus Poole that I tried, it had the Torque Vectoring Diff and possibly the worst case of swirls in the paintwork in the universe. I drove and loved it, very tidy apart from the paintwork I made an offer on it which they didn't accept but considering the diabolical paintwork it may be worth a punt.

If you check used approved Lexus there are quite a few on there from Lexus dealers that red car is £32K

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links