Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Water pouring sound when starting engine from cold

Hi Guys, 

I wonder if you could help me, recently whenever I've started my car first thing in the morning I hear a sound of water rushing/pouring through the engine. It's rather like the sound my central heating makes when I turn it on and the radiator pipes start filling up. I have never had this problem before I'm absolutely lost on to what it could potentially be? There is no leaks under the car or any warning lights etc

I'd be really grateful for any ideas? 

Mine made that noise when the water pump was on the way out. Open the bonnet and look down to where the water pump is to check for leaks. As suggested also check your coolant levels.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Genuine part is £135 but same part can prob be had for about £100 if searched, but make sure it is supplied with the metal/rubber gasket. Genuine pump is made by Aisin and stamped Toyota but can be sourced with the Toyota ground off but still made by Aisin.

Genuine Toyota part £135 eBay item No 173380166962

paul m.

Thank you Paul. 

I won't be able to do anything until the weekend unfortunately and I have to use the car daily for the next week (for once). 

Do you think it would last the week or am I going to end up on the hard shoulder of the m25? 

Kind Regards, 

Mo 

I can't say for sure but you do need to check coolant level is good before every use if you now know you probably have a failing coolant pump. If it is a slight leak from the pump shaft seal then it may go on for a long while like this or if you are unlucky it may fail big time tomorrow.

genuine coolant is red in colour  and a leak from around pump shaft area will show up as a pink stain or crusty deposit.

if doing the pump change yourself then check out this how to video. 

Hi Guys I checked it this morning and the coolent level was below the min line. I noticed some crust on the tank too. Called my indy this morning and they said don't worry just top up coolent for now and bring it later in the week. 

20181029_081508.jpg

20181029_081702.jpg

A good 5 or 6 years ago I had this on my first 250 - The noise came from the drivers footwell and at the time I was pointed to the coolant being low and that there could be an airlock in the system as a result. I topped the coolant up and there was never an issue with it after that.

There was a bit of white crusting on the water pump but nothing major - seemed to me it came from the overflow pipe on the top up tank which if I can remember correctly, one pipe feeds into the tank and another (on the right side?) vents any overflow out of the tank.

The first thing you need to do is to top the coolant up - especially now with the cold weather. Remember this also cools the gearbox so important to keep it at a good level.

20 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

A good 5 or 6 years ago I had this on my first 250 - The noise came from the drivers footwell and at the time I was pointed to the coolant being low and that there could be an airlock in the system as a result. I topped the coolant up and there was never an issue with it after that.

Thank you Is200 Newbie - I breath a sigh of relief (once again your experience has given me piece of mind). 

This is exactly the same noise and location I heard it from. Yesterday I bought the toyota pink coolent from the dealer (signed up to green flag too dreading the worst) and this morning I drove it to and from one my works offices (m25 - 50mile round trip). The noise wasnt there on start up and (didnt occur on the way back either). 

I understand that when the pump goes its usually a high pitched noise from the engine and I made sure the radio was off when driving so I kept an ear out and heard nothing. 

Worth mentioning that my local indy said that if the pump does go dont panic, turn the heating on at full blast for a bit and then drive it. Top with coolent as often as possible (when the engine is cold ofcourse).

On 10/29/2018 at 12:35 PM, Herbie said:

Hearing water gurgling from inside the cabin could also be the heater matrix on its way out.

Im told that usually a puddle appears in the foot well if it is. In this case its hasnt - ps I been told that costs a fortune to replace.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links