Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cleaning Under The Bonnet - Obsessive Behaviour?

Yesterday I took my car to the local car-wash (where I use the highly effective plain-water jet wash and, no doubt like all Lexus owners, avoid the rotating brushes like the plague).   As I do every 2-3 washes or so - and have done with every car I have ever owned - I opened up the bonnet in order to remove spots and splatters, vacuum dust from the screw cavities, and wipe the plastic surfaces.  To my surprise the people in the adjoining bay, who had been eyeing me somewhat shiftily, came over and congratulated me for doing such a thorough job.  It was obvious, however, that they actually thought I was being over-zealous to the point of neurosis.  While agreeing that it is rare to see people cleaning under the bonnet - at least in public car-washes - I maintained that is perfectly normal and natural and necessary thing to do.  Surely I’m not alone in this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Clean mine also. Not that there is a lot to clean apart from the big plastic covers. Aero303 gives quite a nice finish or chemical guys matt protectant. 

Seconded..

Not every wash in my case but defo something that should, IMHO, be done occasionally. If no other reason it would highlight in good time any issues? 

A friend of mine always used to include the under bonnet area in his car washing routine ....even to the extent of rinsing with the hose. Personally I'd never risk that but I do wipe around with a cloth to remove dust etc.

I clean under the bonnet now and again as the dust and dirt builds up. soap suds and a paint brush with no metal parts to get in awkward corners. Then rinse off with hose on low pressure, sure wouldn't risk the pressure washer tho.

The engine bay I find is pretty well isolated with the aero plate underneath, so I've found so far only the odd wipe over is needed. However, if you have spent an awful lot if money on what is a fine piece of automotive technology that double as a work of art, no amount of cleaning detail can be defined as too far. Keep up the good work.