Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Where is this smoke coming from??

I know this isn't a great deal of information but is anyone able to help diagnose? 

It happens obviously allot more when the car is warmed up and it seems to be coming from the left hand side of the engine bay around the turbo but not actually the turbo.. 

Something is clearly leaking but just hoping someone may be able to know something thats common issue that happens around this area?

IMG_20181029_072702.thumb.jpg.1923de56ca4ba9b3e3229f58937d9cf0.jpg

IMG_20181029_072711.thumb.jpg.f60464635cf17c4dfe1467a9370a7a74.jpg

Well, from the video it would look like the front of the exhaust manifold is leaking, but it is hard to tell.

Does it look like it is swirling around the front?  That would suggest it is blowing forward and then the fan is pushing it back.

17 minutes ago, Farqui said:

The second pic looks sooty, so maybe you have an exhaust gasket blowing.

I hope you don't have a cracked manifold.

I was thinking manifold because of the sheer amount of smoke plus it smells so bad in the cabin exactly like the exhaust :s

11 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Well, from the video it would look like the front of the exhaust manifold is leaking, but it is hard to tell.

Does it look like it is swirling around the front?  That would suggest it is blowing forward and then the fan is pushing it back.

Yes it swirls as you say, when it reaches the fan... guessing its the manifold i suppose i need to investigate further but know its not an easy task to remove said manifold.

18 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

Is it the oil pipe or breather on turbo.

Turbo seems to be acting fine though comes in as and when it should - would it effect its operation if this was to be bad?

It also has a layer of some kind of soot on the plastics? so again i suppose this suggests the manifold?

It is looking likely.

Not sure how feasible it is now, but in the old days we used to disconnect/stop the fan and move a bit of tissue paper around the manifold to see if air was escaping.

3 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

It is looking likely.

Not sure how feasible it is now, but in the old days we used to disconnect/stop the fan and move a bit of tissue paper around the manifold to see if air was escaping.

Will try and give this a go! will have to wait until the weekend for now just hope it lasts until then!

So this is where the leak was coming from was missing the bolt circled as shown.

1.thumb.jpg.832931cee4659404c884dbce9a646c77.jpg

Replaced this and the leak has gone, however I don't think that's going to fix everything and believe that its all backed up everywhere and the whole system needs clearing out.

Going to be doing intake and manifold clean and may even replace the DPF as its caused nothing but issues however no more check engines in the recent months so thought it had cleared itself out... obviously not...

Also check out this air filter !

IMG_20181103_152722.thumb.jpg.cda98b47c6ce4ee46eb0c67189d8c1cf.jpgIMG_20181103_152727.thumb.jpg.df34247b2d6b54bcbaaad4b33d05bd3c.jpg

Depends on the environment the car is used in but I agree that it should not get into this state. Don't think it is linked to the soot as the car pulls the air from the front grill area unless there is a hole in the system and its pulling soot through ... what does it smell like ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links