Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

They've eaten my aerial... again!

The-Acre

For the second time this month the plastic covering my roof aerial has been chewed to bits, anyone else had this? I'm assuming its foxes but there doesn't seem to be any footprints.

IMG_20181029_132736624.jpg

My Sister had similar issues with crows a couple of years back. Amazing the damage they could do...but they tended to focus on window and sunroof surrounds, I assume because of the reflections?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

mmmmm - I wonder whats causing that - Never had that problem in 6 years of ownership.

Is that available as a replaceable spare part?

Fortunately the top part is easily replaceable.  I've not had it happen on either of my previous ones.  I may look at getting a shark fin one to replace it.

As there are no visible footprints that would indicate a larger animal, it could be mice or rats - they love to chew. Put some talcum powder on the roof overnight for a couple of days and see if any clues are left. After that, it's poisoning time!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

As there are no visible footprints that would indicate a larger animal, it could be mice or rats - they love to chew. Put some talcum powder on the roof overnight for a couple of days and see if any clues are left. After that, it's poisoning time!

I went out to the car just before dark, and with the dew and the covering of sawdust from my neighbours woodwork I saw a faint line of pawprints across the whole car!  Small prints so a fox or cat.  

Modern eco plastics can be tempting to critters, apparently they find the soy based coatings delicious.

Relatives on the Belgian coast have gad their engine wiring gnawed so no have a gizmo installed that deters them. It makes some weird noises that often spook me as i walk past!

Wow! Never seen that before.

I'd replace that with a metal one. Black aluminium or something. I know they're available because I've bought the little stubby ones before off the Bay.

14 hours ago, The-Acre said:

I went out to the car just before dark, and with the dew and the covering of sawdust from my neighbours woodwork I saw a faint line of pawprints across the whole car!  Small prints so a fox or cat.  

Could be a mouse on the back of a rat riding a fox...like something out of Wind in the Willows 😂

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

Could be a mouse on the back of a rat riding a fox...like something out of Wind in the Willows 😂

If that's the case I'm camping out with my camcorder!  I've done yet another repair with rubber and heat shrink tubing but I've also ordered a universal shark fin.  Very cheap, and if it fits OK should actually look quite good. We do have lots of creatures here, squirrels, foxes, magpies, crows and lots of cats (owning a greyhound makes the latter interesting!)🐾🐀🐺🐱🐧

Could be BMW or Audi owners. We've got loads of them around here and they cause all sorts of bother. Caught one going through my bin the other night. You chase them off but they always come back.

• Haha 2

Unbelievably it happened again last night! This is after I'd repaired it for the second time, but this time I put grease mixed with leather cleaner all over it, still they've chewed it off!  The damage is't so bad this time, presumably due to the new flavour. There was a line of paw prints all along the bonnet and roof.  Looks like I'm going to have to park off of my drive until the novelty has worn off, or at least until the shark fin arrives.  It's keeping the neighbours amused though! 

I lived in southern Germany for 9 years and we used to have similar problems with pine martens, stoats and the like, particularly in the winter. They would sleep in the engine bay where it was nice and warm... And while in there would chew cables, pipes, etc.

It is a well known issue over there and you can get replacement leads covered with a plastic the critters don't like the taste of.

Never heard of them chewing aerials though...

Squirrels maybe?

Try spraying WD-40 on yours? After a few days they should give up.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DanD said:

I lived in southern Germany for 9 years and we used to have similar problems with pine martens, stoats and the like, particularly in the winter. They would sleep in the engine bay where it was nice and warm... And while in there would chew cables, pipes, etc.

It is a well known issue over there and you can get replacement leads covered with a plastic the critters don't like the taste of.

Never heard of them chewing aerials though...

Squirrels maybe?

Try spraying WD-40 on yours? After a few days they should give up.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

What did do was to coat it in cayenne pepper, grease and chilli! Time will tell.