Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS220d smoking issue, confused when inspected

mark720b

Hi

im wondering if someone with expertise can help me. I purchased an IS220d a few months ago. When purchasing the previous owner told me the EGR valve had been recently changed which looks correct.   However, now it is smoking like the orient express and its beyond embarrassing.

I left it with my local mechanic, who after having it a few days said it could be an injector, and his lack of confidence left me thinking this could be a very expensive incorrect diagnosis. 

I paid for a full diagnostic from a diesel engineer. We went through the normal checks, all of which came to the conclusion the EGR valve could be cleaner but ok, all injectors look perfect. Dpf confirmed to be ok also. Lamda sensor starting when warm as it should. 

When checking the actual engine we noticed that the air intake at the air filter ( sorry if my terminology is wrong) was piped wrong. The pipe that should have been connected was blanked off and the drain on the bottom of the air filter was attached to it instead, with the correct one cable tied to it?!? Please see pics

Does anyone know why someone would have done this? In trying to resolve this I am guessing at putting this back to standard and starting from scratch, which is what I have done. But the pipe I removed I’m not exactly sure where it is supposed to go..is it just a drain for water in the air filter that should be grounded?

i refitted the pipe that should have been installed to the head again, and fitted a new air filter as the previous one was full of oil which had came from the head. but the smoking issue it’s much the same. 

I need to stop this smoking, it’s undriveable. Please someone help!! 

7CEA024A-F841-4028-B57B-A1F287214726.jpeg

954CEA1E-4715-4DD6-995A-86D2189246BD.jpeg

• 1 month later...

The hose to the head is for crankcase ventilation,why it would go in to the air box like that I don’t know. Mine goes from cam cover to the intake pipe down stream of the Maf. I do not have a pipe on air box other than the intake from front and outlet to maf.

looking at the amount of oil in air box I would suspect maf is contaminated with oil which could cause issues,a clean might help but it’s possible it will need replacing.

also how many miles have you done since putting pipe back to normal? A substantial amount of oil could have gone through system so a could take a while to burn it all off.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links