Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello

I have a 2008 Is250SE with 80000 on the clock. The rear near side drive shaft has started spraying grease out onto the rear wheel. I have researched this and it appears you can not get a refurbished one with new boot. The new Lexus price is £815 and in US about $1000 plus shipping,

Does anyone have any idea on if you can get a part cheaper. I have seen the ones on E Bay for about £150 but that may not last long and you have wasted your labour money. The U tube estimate is 1.5 hours to change the shaft.

Any help welcome live in Devon but will travel

thanks

2 minutes ago, Caravanman said:

Hello

I have a 2008 Is250SE with 80000 on the clock. The rear near side drive shaft has started spraying grease out onto the rear wheel. I have researched this and it appears you can not get a refurbished one with new boot. The new Lexus price is £815 and in US about $1000 plus shipping,

Does anyone have any idea on if you can get a part cheaper. I have seen the ones on E Bay for about £150 but that may not last long and you have wasted your labour money. The U tube estimate is 1.5 hours to change the shaft.

Any help welcome live in Devon but will travel

thanks

Can you not just replace the split boot? If there is no clunking coming from the shaft.

• Like 1

Looking at the shafts I think it's likely that you can't dismantle them, at least in your garage with normal tools. The replacement boots advertised are split ones which you glue together - don't waste your time.

Sent from my PSP7551DUO using Tapatalk

They are a good company and source for parts - quite a few of us on here have used them.

Prompt delivery - only take a few days and good prices.

You can get the split boots from many motor factors - they are branded 'Bailcast' and are universal - not IS specific.

As I said they are completely and utterly useless - you have to wrap a floppy rubber thing around a very greasy thing whilst keeping the edges of the rubber which you are going to glue spotlessly clean and free of grease.

Do not bother!

If using a split rubber boot then I reccomended fitting the new boot to the shaft Before you play with the failed boot and get grease everywhere, when you are happy the new boot has bonded fully and satisfactory then cut away the old boot and slide up the new one! This is assuming of course there is room on the shaft, not sure on the IS250 as its the rears but all the FWD cars I have done have had quite long drive shafts!

apologies for the 1970's P0rn music, but like this...

paul m

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links