Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just bought an IS250c - Tyre recommendation?

Hi Everyone,

I've just bought an IS250c and am collecting it this weekend.

As part of the deal, the wheels are being refurbished. 

This has got me thinking about getting new tyres at the same time as a couple of them could probably do with replacing.

I've researched a little and the wheels are 18" and it is suggested that runflats were fitted from new. I used to own an E93 BMW which also had runflats but a lot of owners replaced with normal non-runflat tyres.

What do people recommend? Also, which brand is recommended?

Many thanks for any help!

Chris

Rather than runflats, I'd research what tires are available with a gel insert that increases puncture resistance.

My 10 is250c has Michelin on the front and some Chinese Ditch finders on the rear.  No I didn't fit em.

My Passat alltrack has conti sport contact 3 with the gel inserts.  They are at 30,000 now and still not down to the wear indicators.

Uniroyal rain sports are very popular on the is250 Lexus forums and obviously a lot cheaper than the premium contis

With the ride quality of runflats and risk of cracked rims from potholes with run flats, it's certainly not something I'd consider.

The tires with the gel liner seem a far better alternative.

I'm sure there are other manufacturers that do the gel inserts.

The Michelin's tramline dreadfully by the way.

Good year efficient grips are popular and quiet too.

From my own experience........ I have a 250 SEL with 18" wheels (the staggered set up).

I had Bridgestones (Turanza or Potenza can't remember which) on the car when I got it. I found them to be pretty awful....noisy, particularly on the rear wheels and tramlining was a bit grim.

I replaced them with 

Front: Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 225/40/18

Rear: Goodyears Eagle F1 Assymetric 2's  255/40/18  they didn't, (and still don't as far as I know) make the Efficientgrip Performance in this size.

Very pleased with them. Much much quieter and no tramlining. Get full geometry done after fitting all four wheels/tyres .... it's worth it!

Here's a post that may help.

Out of interest.... my wife has Bridgestone Turanzas on her MX5 and they are not too bad. I do find them noisy on the back, but it is a PRHT version so there is effectively a large sound box behind the seats where the roof folds into!! They are all going shortly when worn sufficiently. May try Kumho's next time as quite a few MX5 drivers recommend them.

4 hours ago, normski2 said:

From my own experience........ I have a 250 SEL with 18" wheels (the staggered set up).

I had Bridgestones (Turanza or Potenza can't remember which) on the car when I got it. I found them to be pretty awful....noisy, particularly on the rear wheels and tramlining was a bit grim.

I replaced them with 

Front: Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 225/40/18

Rear: Goodyears Eagle F1 Assymetric 2's  255/40/18  they didn't, (and still don't as far as I know) make the Efficientgrip Performance in this size.

Very pleased with them. Much much quieter and no tramlining. Get full geometry done after fitting all four wheels/tyres .... it's worth it!

Here's a post that may help.

Out of interest.... my wife has Bridgestone Turanzas on her MX5 and they are not too bad. I do find them noisy on the back, but it is a PRHT version so there is effectively a large sound box behind the seats where the roof folds into!! They are all going shortly when worn sufficiently. May try Kumho's next time as quite a few MX5 drivers recommend them.

Ku39 khumo are brilliant on the mx5.  But get a full geometry setup from somebody like wheels in motion or roddisons racing Sheffield.  Once set up the feeling / feedback of how much grip you've got is unbelievable and very close to how a motorcycle tire transmits it's feedback in that you can feel the tire biting into the tarmac.

Thanks for the info!

It looks like I might be going the Goodyear route. Have asked the dealer to check the condition of the tyres and he's going to report back.

I just can't stand the thought of getting the wheels refurbed and then trusting another tyre fitter a couple of months later 😃

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links