Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

You can see the VIN number through the windscreen at the very front of the top of the dash on the passenger side. Whether it's etched on the screen itself is another matter.

I'm not sure of the validity of the reg number or VIN being etched on the screen - it might be a dealer extra at point of sale but it's not universal by any means.

• Like 1

You can see the VIN number through the windscreen at the very front of the top of the dash on the passenger side. Whether it's etched on the screen itself is another matter.
I'm not sure of the validity of the reg number or VIN being etched on the screen - it might be a dealer extra at point of sale but it's not universal by any means.

Thanks John. Does the pic I uploaded on this thread of the controls on the steering wheel seem in the right position.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, kellogsj said:

Thanks John. Does the pic I uploaded on this thread of the controls on the steering wheel seem in the right position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks correct.

If you push the stalk 'up' it does one wipe. The stalk does not stay up it auto returns to the rest point....kind of 'off' point if you will.

Down one notch is auto/intermittent

Down another notch is 'continuous' wipe

Down another notch is 'fast' wipe.

Mmmm ...... should an old bloke be doing stuff like this from memory??

• Like 1

Another thought occurs

When viewed from outside the car.

Look closely at the sensor area...its something like 40mm x 25mm. Is it a completely solid black colour? If you see any silvery patches in or around the sensor that can contribute to it misreading. The sensor screen, the gel pad and windscreen all have to be in perfect contact with no air bubbles visible.

Another thought occurs
When viewed from outside the car.
Look closely at the sensor area...its something like 40mm x 25mm. Is it a completely solid black colour? If you see any silvery patches in or around the sensor that can contribute to it misreading. The sensor screen, the gel pad and windscreen all have to be in perfect contact with no air bubbles visible.

It looks like theres a silver line running right through the sensor. I’d say about 1 or 2 mm thick. From one side of the sensor to the other.

It looks like theres a silver line running right through the sensor. I’d say about 1 or 2 mm thick. From one side of the sensor to the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c32a1aed113f06ebee8c45c2bb02a17a.jpg

Have you released the bottom clip on the rain sensor cover to have a looksee?

The Gel pad is defo in there? Is it nice and clean...no grubbiness or finger prints...and the sensor screen face is clean too?

Here is a thread, albeit from different model but it still applies to others.

If you get no joy ... as a last resort you could just disconnect the feed to the sensor and clip it all back together and just use the intermittent wipe feature...as I think this is what the system defaults to if the sensor is disconnected.

• Like 1

Have you released the bottom clip on the rain sensor cover to have a looksee?
The Gel pad is defo in there? Is it nice and clean...no grubbiness or finger prints...and the sensor screen face is clean too?
Here is a thread, albeit from different model but it still applies to others.
If you get no joy ... as a last resort you could just disconnect the feed to the sensor and clip it all back together and just use the intermittent wipe feature...as I think this is what the system defaults to if the sensor is disconnected.

I wouldn’t like to mess about with the sensor just incase I make matters worse. Would it be worth buying a new one.

It's really quite simple to have a look. This vid shows the method.

You don't need to fully withdraw that clip to release the cover. It only needs to come out about 15mm or so to clear the prongs of the metal bracket glued to the windscreen.

I've read of folk on the US forum not being successful even after purchasing a new sensor unit.

Electronic units are very reliable these days so I'd doubt its the problem...but it is possible.

They all seem to point at the gel 'tape' as being the problem to look at. You can get the gel tape from eBay sellers.

I think you need to investigate first...I certainly would before parting with any hard earnt.

Guest bigbullhead

I had to have a new pad. the way I found out was to push the sensor to the window and when I did that it started working after letting go it stopped working so got a new pad fitted

I had to have a new pad. the way I found out was to push the sensor to the window and when I did that it started working after letting go it stopped working so got a new pad fitted

I did the same as I the same as coming home from work just now. It was raining not heavy. So I pushed the sensor towards the screen and the harder I pushed, the faster the wipers went. The lighter i pushed the slower they went. They actually seem to be working normally now as I pushed the sensor quite hard toward the screen when I was at the lights. Will the pad still need replacing.

Maybe the gel pad dries out a bit over time and shrinks a wee bit?

All you can do is suck it and see. Pushing it back against the windscreen has made it work...so just see how it goes. Worst case you get a new gel pad. 

Or, is it worth trying to pack out the top edge, inside the sensor, so that the replaced cover puts a bit more pressure towards the top edge?

I had squally rain on the drive home tonight. Auto worked a treat, with changing sweep gaps dependant on the rain falling.

• Like 1

Maybe the gel pad dries out a bit over time and shrinks a wee bit?
All you can do is suck it and see. Pushing it back against the windscreen has made it work...so just see how it goes. Worst case you get a new gel pad. 
Or, is it worth trying to pack out the top edge, inside the sensor, so that the replaced cover puts a bit more pressure towards the top edge?
I had squally rain on the drive home tonight. Auto worked a treat, with changing sweep gaps dependant on the rain falling.

Is the gel pad easy to replace. And how much are they. What about cleaning it. Thanks

Quite easy...£15 or so ..... it may just be an applied pressure thing.

I’ll see what it’s like over the next few days. Does it mean as I’ve applied pressure to the sensor and it went faster, that it doesn’t need replacing. The sensor that is.