Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone, my window wipers don’t seem to be responding to the rain like they used to. I leave them on auto all the time, but they don’t seem to be working as they should. Like the harder the rain comes down the quicker they wipe. Any help. Thanks as always.

John.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Before getting into swapping any parts I would make sure the sensor is clean and do a battery reset to start with.
paul m.

I clay bard the windscreen a few ago. I’m wondering if that has affected the sensor somehow. What’s the best way to reset the Battery.

Disconnecting the - ( Negative or Earth) terminal on the Battery for approx 10-20 mins will allow any volitile memerory devices in the vehicle to be reset to their default state. This will affect the one touch system on the electric Windows/Moonroof for example and they will have to be re-learned ( is that a word?) 

Some cars have a security code requirement for the audio equipment when the power is interrupted but Lexus do not, so no worries on that front.

one thought, is the sensitivity adjustment of the auto-wipers making a difference in any way?

paul m.

image.png

Disconnecting the - ( Negative or Earth) terminal on the battery for approx 10-20 mins will allow any volitile memerory devices in the vehicle to be reset to their default state. This will affect the one touch system on the electric Windows/Moonroof for example and they will have to be re-learned ( is that a word?) 
Some cars have a security code requirement for the audio equipment when the power is interrupted but Lexus do not, so no worries on that front.
one thought, is the sensitivity adjustment of the auto-wipers making a difference in any way?

paul m.
image.thumb.png.8586a372f9f5085bb17e6e503612ff59.png

Thanks Paul, that diagram you’ve sent me is different to the layout on my car. I’ll take a photo of my settings and upload them later.

Disconnecting the - ( Negative or Earth) terminal on the battery for approx 10-20 mins will allow any volitile memerory devices in the vehicle to be reset to their default state. This will affect the one touch system on the electric Windows/Moonroof for example and they will have to be re-learned ( is that a word?) 

paul m.
image.thumb.png.8586a372f9f5085bb17e6e503612ff59.png

This is the way the wipers are setea7e747f7dd888d33ac9103cc0ce9803.jpgea7e747f7dd888d33ac9103cc0ce9803.jpg

Have you tried pouring a jug/watering can over the exterior sensor and watching the operation that way ( bearing in mind the wiper system does take into account vehicle speed when operating)

paul m.

Have you tried pouring a jug/watering can over the exterior sensor and watching the operation that way ( bearing in mind the wiper system does take into account vehicle speed when operating)
paul m.

I’ll try that later. Does the knob and settings seem to be in the right place though. I’ll also disconnect the Battery at the weekend. Thanks for your help Paul. [emoji1303]

in my previous car (Avensis), you could disconnect the rain sensor, and the control function returned to a manual intermittent, with variable delay  ..... better than auto in my view. ... might be worth a try.

• Like 1

in my previous car (Avensis), you could disconnect the rain sensor, and the control function returned to a manual intermittent, with variable delay  ..... better than auto in my view. ... might be worth a try.

How would I do that. Is there any tutorials for how to do this.

There was some talk about this over on the US forum for Lexus, admittedly quite a while back.
Might be worth trying a search on that forum.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013-163/
Could also try a search on YouTube

Thanks mate [emoji106][emoji2532]

Just a thought.

Have you had a new windscreen fitted recently?

If yes..... you could check there is a gel pad between the sensor and the windscreen. Only mention it as it could get missed by an inexperienced fitter.

If it is missing ... you can get one here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-IS220-250-08-13-WINDSCREEN-RAIN-LIGHT-SENSOR-PAD-/122536009580

I believe the Lexus part no is 89944 - 50011 ... but please check as I'm not 100% on that

• Like 1

Amazing what you can dig up on the net.

Where is the Lexus automatic rain sensor and how does it work?

This is located just behind the rearview mirror attached to the inside of the windscreen

image.png.722e35101db2395766f60cdc4e7dee7e.png

The system uses a infrared LED with a photo diode sensor.  It is designed to look for reduction of signal strength that occurs to the infrared light when a rain drop or rain droplets are present.  The rain drops lowers the signal levels by allowing the light to pass through the glass rather than be reflected back under non rain circumstances.  

image.png.e101008b59f6efb59a2c072a48567a98.png

The calibration is quite exact and can be disturbed by replacement of the windshield with an "after market" or non-dealer replacement.  The adhesive tape used to attach the sensor is very important and if not set correctly will perhaps cause the system to fail.

There is not much that one needs to do to maintain the system, as it is designed to be self checking and assumes the windshield will have the normal amount of accumulation of dirt.  However there are cases where the system can false trigger by the correct amount of dust or if the sun hits the sensor just right.

This is the sensor removed from its attaching plate.

Image result for lexus is 250 rain sensor

• Like 1

Just a thought.
Have you had a new windscreen fitted recently?
If yes..... you could check there is a gel pad between the sensor and the windscreen. Only mention it as it could get missed by an inexperienced fitter.
If it is missing ... you can get one here
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-IS220-250-08-13-WINDSCREEN-RAIN-LIGHT-SENSOR-PAD-/122536009580
I believe the Lexus part no is 89944 - 50011 ... but please check as I'm not 100% on that

It has the Lexus logo stamped on the windscreen. So I imagine it’s the original one. It’s only been like this in the last few weeks. Would disconnecting the Battery help to reset to default settings.

3 hours ago, kellogsj said:

It has the Lexus logo stamped on the windscreen. So I imagine it’s the original one. It’s only been like this in the last few weeks. Would disconnecting the battery help to reset to default settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a new windscreen fitted by National Windscreens. They got a genuine Lexus windscreen from the local Lexus dealer and it has Lexus etched into it. However, it doesn't have the registration number etched into it. Check if yours has your registration number or vin number etched into it. If not then it's been replaced sometime. So what normski2 says about an inexperienced fitted could be the issue.

• Like 1

I had a new windscreen fitted by National Windscreens. They got a genuine Lexus windscreen from the local Lexus dealer and it has Lexus etched into it. However, it doesn't have the registration number etched into it. Check if yours has your registration number or vin number etched into it. If not then it's been replaced sometime. So what normski2 says about an inexperienced fitted could be the issue.

I’ll check that tomorrow. Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links