Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What does the Lexus brand say about you?

First_Lexus

Following on from this thread If you cannot choose Lexus I wondered what member views were on what driving a Lexus says about you?

Now, I have to declare an interest here. I have a friend, and I recommended they look at a new RX. They've been to view and really like the car, but won't consider actually owning one because of concerns about the Lexus 'image.'

Alan Partridge was a long time ago, but does Lexus have a slight image problem in the UK? It was described to me as '...a bit golf club.'

It isn't something I'd really considered before, and I'm interested in views - without rose tinted spectacles!

To me it says :-

I can think for myself, I am not a sheep.

I value reliability and customer service.

I am not concerned with what people think of me, I am happy to be different.

I value craftsmanship and individuality as well as luxury.

I am not a petrol head but enjoy a comfortable relaxed drive.

I am part of the enlightened minority.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Following on from this thread If you cannot choose Lexus I wondered what member views were on what driving a Lexus says about you?

Now, I have to declare an interest here. I have a friend, and I recommended they look at a new RX. They've been to view and really like the car, but won't consider actually owning one because of concerns about the Lexus 'image.' 

Alan Partridge was a long time ago, but does Lexus have a slight image problem in the UK? It was described to me as '...a bit golf club.'

It isn't something I'd really considered before, and I'm interested in views - without rose tinted spectacles!

" won't consider actually owning one because of concerns about the Lexus 'image.' " I wasn't aware there were concerns about the Lexus image, What are the concerns?

@Bluesman

I think his problem with the image is - as he put it - that it's '...a bit golf club.' There's an element of the Alan Partridge effect in that description i.e. the image in his perception is that of the self-made middle classes or we could call it 'new money.' He also won't consider Audi, BMW or Volvo for a variety of reasons, some also image related.

It's not something I'd really thought of when I bought mine, and having had a variety of cars over the years the 'image' isn't something that personally bothers me. I prefer to buy what I like and I agree with @PaulWhitt20 completely. Mind you, being hypocritical, I wouldn't consider an Audi or BMW because I don't like the brash image that is my perception of those brands.

I was just curious to see what others thought. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, st4 said:

It says “Toyota”

Which is no bad thing. Everyone knows a Lexus Is a posh Toyota like an Audi is a posh veedub.

I’d say most people would have no idea it’s a Toyota. Quite a few ‘proper’ petrolheads have absolutely no idea what an ISF/RCF/GSF is, the best I can do is say they’re similar to a BMW M3/4/5...

I haven’t really thought about what the brand says to me. I suppose it’s just different, not following the usual procession to the Audi/BMW/Mercedes showroom. Only once you’ve done your homework, or owned one, you ‘get’ the Lexus brand. Mostly it reliability, customer service and design that I like, and the sweet sound of a NA V8! 

I’d say most people would have no idea it’s a Toyota. Quite a few ‘proper’ petrolheads have absolutely no idea what an ISF/RCF/GSF is, the best I can do is say they’re similar to a BMW M3/4/5...
I haven’t really thought about what the brand says to me. I suppose it’s just different, not following the usual procession to the Audi/BMW/Mercedes showroom. Only once you’ve done your homework, or owned one, you ‘get’ the Lexus brand. Mostly it reliability, customer service and design that I like, and the sweet sound of a NA V8! 

You get all the reliability and service with Toyota too. I’m a big Toyota fan, but I like a more high end car. The Lexus IS the right car for me.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Well I didn’t want to go grey and dull German so I went orange and Japanese. Italian (been there done that) or French could have provided the not dull factor but Japanese gets me reliably too. Lexus because I loved my Suzuki Swift Sport but now value comfort and a better quality interior, more so than Toyota deliver. I’ve never owned a German car and may never do so. 

So Lexus probably says an independent thinker, values good engineering and has a nod to caring about the environment but not a green peace activist. 

Owning a Lexus says

I value quality build and reliability

I don’t need to point and squirt to get from A to B fast, relaxed does the trick

I value comfort and luxury

I “get” what a hybrid is and does, plus I don’t do diesel

I love the pre and post sale service offered by Lexus, making me feel valued to them

I can think for myself and don’t aspire to 10 a penny German cars

I can feel a bit smug knowing all these things and still the British populace, apart from an enlightened few, want BMW, Audi and Merc. It gives me a more special car that I might see one or two of in a day, rather than hundreds of the others.

• Like 2

I got to admit I love my GS450h Sport F.. there ain't many cars on the road that can top it on style ,frontal features and performance ..The MPH is very good for the size of the engine..

Lexus oh you drive a Lexus....jpg

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links