Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Considering RX450h

Advance model is a good choice you also get the sport model front bumper and adaptive lights.

The 2015 Advance did add ML and different alloys from the 2014 model.

Good luck with your search.

A few years ago we visited Lexus Hull on a very quiet afternoon to look at possible B at school for my wife who was coming out of her co car scheme after driving co cars for a approx 25 years. The dealer principal himself let us drive the CT, IS, GS and finally the Rx450h - funnily enough she liked the RX best. The dealer principal said that he thought the RX was probably the best all round car in the world, possibly he was a little biased!

However a month later we purchased a 2011 SEI (not from a Lexus dealer), it was three years old with 72k on the clock and was a former co car so FSH etc. Fast forward 4 years or so and car has approx 115k on the clock and other than regular servicing (by Lexus)and consumables (brakes/tyres) it has wanted for nothing and has been a great family car and perhaps the dealer principal was right! My wife is happy to keep the RX until it dies. In our experience they are great cars and you will not regret your purchase. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep on reading topics that go on about Hybrid and Air Suspension being costly to fix, but has any one actually had to have it done ?

Do we need a survey of members an count those that have had problems against those that haven't so we can work out if this is not just scaremongering.

2 hours ago, ChrisM said:

I keep on reading topics that go on about Hybrid and Air Suspension being costly to fix, but has any one actually had to have it done ?

Do we need a survey of members an count those that have had problems against those that haven't so we can work out if this is not just scaremongering.

the air suspension mainly affected 2nd gen RX's

There really aren't enough 3rd gen RX's with air suspension to be accurate in terms of failure rates but I dont think there are mainly on the 3rd gen. 

However, the 4RX completely does without air suspension and I wonder if there is a reason for that. The hybrid itself is pretty bulletproof

Test drove RX450H premier and advance, as well as NX300h last week.

The premier , surprisingly disappointed ! Loved the heads up but air suspension meant a lot of wobbly drive around the bends or corners. I was disappointed as, the air suspension on my LS430 is exceptional.. Must be due to the high position of RX.

LOVED THE ADVANCE...WISHED IT HAD HEADS UP.

Now waiting for the right colour and the year to come along.

With apologies to NX300h owners...it isn’t for me. Felt a bit sluggish and a noisy engine when pushed! But amazingly well appointed interior.

Thanks to all of you for helping me to make my mind up

On 11/2/2018 at 6:53 PM, Shiner said:

Gilbert

mpg isn’t what was bankrupting me..I only do about 4000 miles per yr....it’s the catalogue of failing things! Although my LS is in immaculate condition, and at the moment, everything works....Whoever buys it won’t it have to worry about replacing radiator,done this year, steering wheel motors, done last yr, spark plugs, still 40000 miles to go...but cam belt, water pump etc looming large in next 2 yrs!, exhaust showing signs of corrosion etc etc. Steering wheel wobbles and my Indy say could be the steering shaft as bushes are fine! So sadly time to move on!

yeah my LS430 cost a fortune to keep it going and I wondered about where this supposed Lexus reliability was.  It made me nervous about buying an RX400H but that has hardly missed a beat and is now at 140k miles and 9 years old.  The air suspension on my 430 was a nightmare - at least 4 failures out on the road - which was dangerous.

Mike

17 hours ago, Shiner said:

Test drove RX450H premier and advance, as well as NX300h last week.

The premier , surprisingly disappointed ! Loved the heads up but air suspension meant a lot of wobbly drive around the bends or corners. I was disappointed as, the air suspension on my LS430 is exceptional.. Must be due to the high position of RX.

LOVED THE ADVANCE...WISHED IT HAD HEADS UP.

Now waiting for the right colour and the year to come along.

With apologies to NX300h owners...it isn’t for me. Felt a bit sluggish and a noisy engine when pushed! But amazingly well appointed interior.

Thanks to all of you for helping me to make my mind up

When you find an Advance please check the wheels. My car is suffering from spots of corrosion coming out around the centre caps on all 4 wheels. As my car was registered in March 2015 this is pretty annoying. When the car was serviced locally a month ago Cheltenham Lexus put a claim into Lexus UK but they said because I had only owned the car for 3 months the supplying dealer should have spotted the issue and rectified it under Approved Car Scheme. The supplying dealer has maintained the car from new and knows that the wheels are unrepaired and factory finished. They are currently deciding the way forward and supposed to be coming back to me next week. 

Thanks all.

Les, I have been following the thread on corrosion on machine cut alloy wheels... they appear to be on most 19 inch wheels. So I am trying to avoid buying a car fitted with those. Incidentally, when I bought the LS430 back in 2007, the wheels started to bubble up & show corrosion about 6 months later. The dealer didn’t replace the rims but had them refurbished. Since then , no problems whatever!

Mike, that’s very reassuring. Like you, I am not convinced of LS430 as being anywhere nearly as good or reliable as LS400., despite having few more toys.

9 hours ago, Shiner said:

Thanks all.

Les, I have been following the thread on corrosion on machine cut alloy wheels... they appear to be on most 19 inch wheels. So I am trying to avoid buying a car fitted with those. Incidentally, when I bought the LS430 back in 2007, the wheels started to bubble up & show corrosion about 6 months later. The dealer didn’t replace the rims but had them refurbished. Since then , no problems whatever!

Mike, that’s very reassuring. Like you, I am not convinced of LS430 as being anywhere nearly as good or reliable as LS400., despite having few more toys.

Well the corrosion occurs on the diamond cut wheels. They don't need any kerb damage to happen. A simple stone chip will set the corrosion off in those.

Other 19" RX wheels don't suffer from the issue

5 minutes ago, Shiner said:

Rayaan

How do I find out whether the. Wheels are diamond cut or not? Just ask the dealer? Or is there another way.

thanks

Diamond cut just means the finish is machined.

They look like metal very easy to spot 

On the 3rd gen RX only the later advance models had diamond cut wheels. The rest had standard wheels

I'm very interested in the comments about corrosion on wheels. Can anyone confirm if any of these ones are diamond cut?  If not, can anyone put up a picture of a Lexus 3RX diamond cut wheel? These are all taken from 3RX models currently for sale on the Lexus site. 1. Advance Sept 2015.  2. Luxury July 2013.  3. Advance Nov 2014.  4. Advance Sept 2014.  5. Advance March 2014. There appear to be 3 styles over this period. I like them all but just wondering if any one in particular is more likely to corrode. I'm still looking for an RX myself. Thanks

IUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6436.thumb.jpg.908cc8e53508f4363d4b8bf000dba597.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6437.thumb.jpg.4f511a89828a894f4f77eb51299b01c5.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6438.thumb.jpg.f1c52df9fe0d263466d5042009d8135c.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6439.thumb.jpg.d980f763a248294175dbe4fb207f7fcc.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6435.thumb.jpg.649f9c9c60041445fd5f2ab137721fd8.jpg

24 minutes ago, JeffL said:

I'm very interested in the comments about corrosion on wheels. Can anyone confirm if any of these ones are diamond cut?  If not, can anyone put up a picture of a Lexus 3RX diamond cut wheel? These are all taken from 3RX models currently for sale on the Lexus site. 1. Advance Sept 2015.  2. Luxury July 2013.  3. Advance Nov 2014.  4. Advance Sept 2014.  5. Advance March 2014. There appear to be 3 styles over this period. I like them all but just wondering if any one in particular is more likely to corrode. I'm still looking for an RX myself. Thanks

IUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6436.thumb.jpg.908cc8e53508f4363d4b8bf000dba597.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6437.thumb.jpg.4f511a89828a894f4f77eb51299b01c5.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6438.thumb.jpg.f1c52df9fe0d263466d5042009d8135c.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6439.thumb.jpg.d980f763a248294175dbe4fb207f7fcc.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6435.thumb.jpg.649f9c9c60041445fd5f2ab137721fd8.jpg

Top and second to bottom are diamond cut. Notice the bare metal coated with clearcoat around center caps and then 5 spokes

The 2nd pic is an f sport wheel not luxury

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2018 at 6:43 PM, rayaans said:

Well the corrosion occurs on the diamond cut wheels. They don't need any kerb damage to happen. A simple stone chip will set the corrosion off in those.

With keyless entry I'd say one of the daftest things to be fitted on models from any manufacturer. 

And it doesn't seem to matter whether they're wheels on a Lexus or wheels on a Citroen. They all do it.

Thank you to rayaans and Shahpor. I stand corrected, the 2nd pic is indeed an f sport wheel not luxury! I continue to be amazed with the detailed knowledge of forum members and really appreciate the time taken to help the less knowledgeable like myself. Thank you again.