Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Feeling Lexus has failed to keep up with Tesla innovations

Hi I just saw an article in the news that the new Tesla software update for its cars will enable them to self park and read road signs and Drive around in the car park looking for spaces.

I feel that Lexus has been a bit lax with innovation and has been outdone and left behind by Tesla. Case in point is been beaten to the introduction of full electric cars and also by the advanced AI that Tesla now has in its vehicles.

I guess I was a bit disappointed because on my RX 2007 model that I still have , it has reverse parking cameras and the touchscreen, which I think was probably cutting edge for its day. .

Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you ever looked at the panel gaps on a brand new Tesla Model S?

The one I saw on display at a country fair had a gap at the bottom of the bonnet/ wing of about 6/7 mm decreasing to about 2mm up at the windscreen scuttle. 

• Like 1

Toyota/Lexus have lost the plot with innovation. I initially thought that when the plug-in Prius was produced that more plugins would follow but no. Just imagine a Lexus RX450 plugin doing 30 to 40 miles on all electric and 50 mpg equivalent. Not one for the complete fleet of L/T cars apart from Prius, has been offered as a plugin, instead they are trying to spin this "self charging no need to plug in" silliness. If they don't start drinking the coolade soon they will find themselves going the way of the DoDo.

21 hours ago, Delphius1 said:

Plug in hybrids really need a larger battery and that's where Tesla have made the leap ahead of the Japanese. The Toyota RAV4 EV in the USA uses a Tesla battery, not a Toyota one, because the power density and longevity are superior. 

That's not entirely true as Panasonic co-develop and manufacture Telsa's batteries.

On 11/1/2018 at 11:31 PM, Delphius1 said:

Plug in hybrids really need a larger battery and that's where Tesla have made the leap ahead of the Japanese. The Toyota RAV4 EV in the USA uses a Tesla battery, not a Toyota one, because the power density and longevity are superior. 

We will not know about the longevity of the "Tesla" batteries until they have been used in the real world for as long as the Prius batteries.
There are many UK gen2 2004 Prius still running on there original batteries along with many gen1 Prius from 2001. I know batteries can be cycle tested in the laboritory, but that is not the same as being used by Joe public for 15 years plus.

John.

Tesla also have a pretty ropey reliability record too whereas Lexus are at the other end of the scale.  I would rather drive round in a car that is a few years behind the curve technologically that is well proven than being at the cutting edge of gizmos that is forever going wrong.

I admire what Tesla is trying to achieve but to berate Lexus for not copying them is a bit unfair.  Lexus make hybrids and Tesla makes fully electric cars so they're not really comparable.  As for technology that can self-park, read road signs and look for parking spaces then I'm just not interested.  Over the last few years more and more technology is being fitted to cars which dumbs down the role of the driver and technology like this will only make things worse.

• Like 2

Teslas aren't doing too bad on Battery longevity. The Tesla roadsters have the Gen.1 batteries that seem to be holding up pretty well. Indications are leter generations are holding up pretty well even after much supercharging.

The Battery technology on Teslas is up there with the best, but personally I agree the build quality of the cars is pretty appalling. Panel gaps all over the place, trims not lining up, door handles that stick and lock you out of the car and plenty of wind noise, rattles and squeaks. Not something you want on what is a pretty expensive car.

The technology side Tesla seem to have sorted: the software tends to work. It seems the fit and finish side they're lacking on. It seems there have been numerous recalls on various items. Reminds me when I worked for an American software company. The attitude to quality wasn't up to European statndards. They were quite happy to release something that wasn't quite 100% and fix it later in updates while customers struggled with frustrating issues that should have been fixed before release.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links