Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Drivers Seat cushion replacement foam?

Hi again 🙂

I mentioned in another past that the foam in my heated and cooled seat needs replaced - however after quite a bit of research (probably looking in the wrong places) I can't seem to find anyone that stocks it or knows how to refoam the seat if I took it to them. One local upholsterer will do it for me if I get them the foam base but is there anywhere they can be bought? Or can anyone who has suffered the same problem advise the best way around it bearing in mind nobody local to me seems to want to touch it 😕 

I'm sure I won't have been the only one waiting to see if you found someone and what the cost would have been.

In the S class removing the sqaub was not too difficult but I'm not sure about the lexus.  Should have paid more attention when  I had to repair the Rail that connects both sides to the motor. (one side failed)

I use one of these Charcoal covers with a bit of Memory foam underneath to bolster it  a bit.

Not perfect but better than nothing and it almost matches Tan in colour.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pcs-Breathable-Car-Front-Seat-Cushion-Protector-Pad-Driver-Mat-Covers-Universal/173533504086?hash=item2867672256:g:4nQAAOSw2stbmqcY:rk:57:pf:0

The reason the hupolsterers will not touch it ,the foam is moulded and they cannot achieve the contours required by ordinary slab foam application .

The original design and ergonomics are the basis of that moulding .

It is unlikely you will get the foam from OEM as it is sold in a complete item" as in the seat".

Your only path is to find a breaker with a decent seat .

Thanks for the link that will do rightly until I find a decent one somewhere 🙂 I would suppose finding a decent seat might be an issue given the age of the car and it seems to be a common enough problem - I had the same issue with my S Class and it was one of the reasons I sold it on (that and a gearbox issue that cost over a grand to fix) so far I have to say the lexus is a better car 🙂

is it worth trying to source a breaker seat from somewhere in the USA or in the EU that drives on the other side ......  getting an almost unworn passenger seat to replace your driver's side

Just a thought :rolleyes:

Malc

1 minute ago, runsgrateasanut said:

getting a passenger side from a scrappy but not sure  if would transfer vis a vis electrics.

the seat postioning adjustments would be on the wrong side    ......... .. unless it was from a left hand driver car ..  then I'm assuming the passenger seat would transfer ok to be the driver's seat in a right hand driver ....  get my drift ?  :whistling:

Malc

14 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

That sounds like big Bucks if USA.  Are 400 and 430 driver and passenger seats interchangeable? Often thought about getting a passenger side from a scrappy but not sure  if would transfer vis a vis electrics.

On the 430 the driver's seat has an extendable cushion which wouldn't work. 

I may not be a great help here but I have definitely read on the USA owner's website of original Lexus foam seat bases being bought and fitted by upholsters. Cannot recall the cost of the foam part but it was original equipment and did not strike me as exorbitant though not cheap.

The owners discussing this matter were most concerned about how to improve on the original seat.

It might be available on Rockauto. 

The site where new seat parts in the USA www.lexuspartsnow.com can be bought quote around $1300 for the seat base cushion complete, this may help as giving an indicative price guideline but is useless in every other respect as they wont work on the drivers side in the UK. part no 71071-50340-A1

• Like 1

Having done further research I have discovered it is possible to purchase a new cushion in the desired trim colour from www.jp-carparts.com

the car that comes up for the part  no 71071-50340-A1 is a right hand bottom seat cushion for a 2006 Celsior that means it is for a drivers side as the Celsior is a right hand drive vehicle and was not for sale in the US.

The only thing is the complete item is $2000 the schematic drawing shows a squab only under a seperate part no but I cannot get a price to show for that number .there is a inquiry facility on  the  site interface so make an inquiry as to what the possibility of getting the squab on its own is. This also means that the part complete from the USA site referred to earlier should also fit your car as the same part number comes into play ,I suppose the cushion itself because it does not carry any hardware is universal to passenger and driver.

• Like 1

Mark

Interesting and at the same time contradictory to my initial thoughts that this squab is universal ,there is a difference in the side contours on the squab in the photograph and the pan it sits in is  handed which leads me to think it may be the same part number for both squabs but with the handed requirement as per use in the car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links