Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ROAD TAX COST.

bobjol

After posting recent review of fuel additives, just noticed that Car Tax will rise again next spring.

The Government figures are based on previous data from other sources.  Would it not be better if the car tax 

amount was set on the emissions as recorded at the MOT station?  Food for thought.

• 4 weeks later...

Probably will not effect old 'established' cars. That has been the past pattern.

It should be abolished anyway and x pence put on petrol. If you use it, you pay. Don't use it, don't pay. Much fairer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MLW said:

It should be abolished anyway and x pence put on petrol. If you use it, you pay. Don't use it, don't pay. Much fairer.

Not really fair at all if you have no other choice but to drive. Maybe you don't live on a bus route or even if you do it may be a restricted service. Everybody should pay for everything to keep it fair.

My wife and I didn't want kids but part of our government/council taxes still get allocated to the education sector to go towards educating other peoples offspring. We've thankfully never needed to call on the fire service but we still pay for it etc., etc.

• Like 1

If you listen to the old Beatles song  "Taxman",   a number of the  "predictions"  have come to pass. 

For instance.... If you get too cold we'll tax the heat  ....This was from a time that top earners were paying

tax at the rate of  19/6d in the pound.

As an aside, many years ago it was said that all of the money spent on road building was more than

covered by the road tax levied on HGVs alone. 

• Like 1

Possibly true, but .......

Everyone I have ever heard go on about road tax does not drive a basic Toyota Aygo, it is always a 2-3 litre car, or more.

Why should petrol be cheap? If it was 17p a litre as in some counties, what would we all do, go and buy the biggest V12, 6 litre we could. I would be first in the queue. Energy should be restricted for environmental use, or we will end up like Trump......... It is our human right to use as much energy as we wish, with the lowest cost. When energy is expensive, people use it carefully, and manufacturers make efficient cars.