Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi folks,  as my mk3 is my daily and I live just west of Edinburgh,  I thought a set of winters may be prudent (I'm self employed so snow days aren't really an option).  I have just bought a cheap set of standard wheels so am now looking to get the rubber to go round them.

There seems to be an awful lot of choice and a vast array of prices, so I was just wondering who here has had 1st hand experience of running winters on a large rwd car and any recommendations/avoids like the plague.

My priority will be grip in snow - there's a slope up to my house and down to the gym I work in.

I had Dunlop Wintersport 4D on my previous car and they were great - currently I'm running 4x Continental WinterContact TS850P on a Volvo XC90 and it had no issues going up and down the steepest hills around here in the moors during the snow of last winter while other cars would be sliding all over with zero traction - the 4WD helped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've always abandoned my Mk3 Ls400 when ice and snow are on the ground .....  she has a mind of her own I've found .............  however I have just replaced all 4 tyres with Maxxis All Seasons and they certainly feel the grippiest tyres I've ever had on her .................  but I'll still probably just use the AWD Honda Legend we have when the snow and ice hit ...  those rare few days down south

BUT  I remember reading of Ls400 owner (s ) on this forum with a base in Norway /Sweden/Iceland wherever and being very happy driving in snow and ice on the tyres he / they had

Find those posts and you will possibly find the right and best winter tryres for our Ls400s

Malc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have tried various brands, Dunlop , Vredstein and now the Continentals (TS850) which always seem to do well in the Auto Express tests, mine are now 5 years old and have done almost 18000 and they weren't as effective last year as they previously were so I will be purchasing another set shortly. They have all been excellent.

• Thanks 1

Winter? In the UK? You guys must all live Ooop North Like!! 😜
I use the same tyres year round but if the snow is particularly bad I work from home.
Never had a problem yet, but many years ago I nearly got hit by a moron in a 4x4 who thought that because she had 4WD and could accelerate better than 2WD cars on snow, then she also had better braking than everyone else too. She missed me but trashed her rear wheel sliding into the kerb at 25Mph after spinning out of control.

Yes they seem more useful the further North you are, my wife has a 4x4 SUV and the LS on winters out accelerates and more importantly out brakes it by some margin when the weather is like it was below for a significant part of last winter

EB5401D1-4924-4ACF-9D18-DBFF713AA1E5.jpeg

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links