Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well that's a surprise

Am I right in thinking that many of us on the forum own the LS not just for its reliability, build quality, the drive and so on.  We also like them because they are a rare car, this is very appealing to me.

Anyway I was driving back from Whitby yesterday afternoon and I was telling my brother in law, who incidentally is a car designer working for Magna Steyer in Graz, Austria.  We do a lot of car talk (he drives a MK1 Ford Focus) and anyway again, we were talking about how rare the LS was and how you never ever see a 430 on the motorway....... I swear that as I said it a silver 430 with a private reg goes past in the outside lane.  I couldn't believe and neither could Tim.  I wonder if it was anyone on here?

The problem is the rarity - try finding a selection of LS460's (I just might plump for one) in my local area that don't have moon miles or don't cost a bomb.

42 minutes ago, nickd said:

Am I right in thinking that many of us on the forum own the LS not just for its reliability, build quality, the drive and so on.  We also like them because they are a rare car, this is very appealing to me.

Anyway I was driving back from Whitby yesterday afternoon and I was telling my brother in law, who incidentally is a car designer working for Magna Steyer in Graz, Austria.  We do a lot of car talk (he drives a MK1 Ford Focus) and anyway again, we were talking about how rare the LS was and how you never ever see a 430 on the motorway....... I swear that as I said it a silver 430 with a private reg goes past in the outside lane.  I couldn't believe and neither could Tim.  I wonder if it was anyone on here?

A few days ago I was directly behind a silver LS430 near my house, this morning on the A24 in Sussex I was behind a burgundy one.  The chances of that happening again are slim.  That's what I like about having a Toyota badge, rarer still..... for now.

It took me ages to find my car - there are none for sale here in Northern Ireland at the minute (either 430 or 460) and this year so far I only spotted 2 for sale both out of my price range and I have not seen one on the road anywhere local - however in the south of Ireland there seems to be a few ok most due to the fact that they cost over 1800 Euro a year to tax them 😕 In fact that's where mine came from (Co Offaly just to the left of Dublin) and was a (relatively) painless operation to bring it up (the dealer took it as a trade in and did all the paperwork) result is I got a 1 owner car with 76000 on it a lot cheaper than I expected - yes it needs a bit of TLC but that to me is part of the fun of ownership 🙂 People here are scared of the big engines and fuel costs of running them but to me the way things are going, now is the time to get one before everyone else catches on 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BMCWP said:

😕🙂 time to get one before everyone else catches on 

This is something we have been thinking for a few years now, but I suspect with petrol now at £1.35 a litre (compared to 90p not so long ago) only nutters like us would run a big engined motor.

But as we have all discovered these tanks are light on petrol (considering).  I know more modern big engines are fuel efficient, but why spend £60K+ for a frugal merc when the £54K would buy you a shed load of fuel.

I think I have the biggest and cheapest car in the office and driving a petrol head to garage last week (so she could pick up her motor), she was gobsmacked when I put the beast in PWR mode and put me foot down.  As good as a Chimera that she once owned but a darn sight nicer to be in.

• Like 2

............ no amount of penny pinching and saving on fuel can compensate for the ludicrous capital costs of buying a new beast compared to our amazingly comfortable, reliable, fabulously fast and quick elderly beloved Ls's'  :yahoo:

Malc

• Like 1

I agree Malc, even if i were to buy a year old rep mobile for work it would still work out more expensive.   I worked 9 till 7 yesterday, then went to see my elderly mother and then in the rain drove home.   It was a good place to be after a long day and the car drove so well that it's still a marvel whenever I drive my 430.

• Like 2

I at present own a IS250. I have owned 2 LS400’s I am coming back into the fold with a LS460 later this week. I thought about the LS600, but swung the other way. I travel to Cornwall a lot. The IS copes with this very well. But as someone on here once said, the LS is in a different league. 

20 minutes ago, Angel123 said:

I at present own a IS250. I have owned 2 LS400’s I am coming back into the fold with a LS460 later this week. I thought about the LS600, but swung the other way. I travel to Cornwall a lot. The IS copes with this very well. But as someone on here once said, the LS is in a different league. 

Well lucky you, and naturally we'll be expecting pictures! I had a GS300 for 6 months which was great, but I just missed the LS so much.