Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New steering wheel today

You have not seen my steering wheel, really scabby, need to get off my backside and get it sorted.

Probably going to get mine recovered at some point, means some down time while being done. All the second hand LS400 steering wheels I have seen on eBay and elsewhere have the early-onset skank setting in.  All those years of finger grease wearing at the leather. 

However with Xmas coming up (and a roof of house in need of repair) might be a while yet before I get this done.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

Very nice - really completes the interior look.

What's the round rocker switch for - rear foglight?

Yes, rear fog lights, maybe fitted in the UK?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

May one ask Phil, where you got it from,how much  did it cost, who fitted it and what did he /she charge ?

John, I got it from Paul Frost £110, and I fitted it myself this morning.  Wiring was slightly different so I just swapped everything. Easy job apart from lining up the horn pad/air bag screws. I gave Paul my VIN and he matched up the colour.

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

John, I got it from Paul Frost £110, and I fitted it myself this morning.  Wiring was slightly different so I just swapped everything. Easy job apart from lining up the horn pad/air bag screws. I gave Paul my VIN and he matched up the colour.

Many thanks Phil.

It seems an excellent and cost effective job all round .A win for Paul, a win for you and a  big win for  the Celsior  !

Paul establishing himself in my eyes as a "must know! for many things Lexus. I was first alerted to him by Roger Wynn who also has an LS 400.

18 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

Just noticed the Toyota Logo - so it actually came from a Celsior? and not a Lexus

The one that Paul Frost had was a Lexus one but I told him I wanted to keep the Toyota badge so I didn't need the horn pad, so I put the original one back.  Interesting how these steering wheels are weighted inside, not quite sure why though.

49 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Many thanks Phil.

It seems an excellent and cost effective job all round .A win for Paul, a win for you and a  big win for  the Celsior  !

Paul establishing himself in my eyes as a "must know! for many things Lexus. I was first alerted to him by Roger Wynn who also has an LS 400.

It was one of those little things that bugged me so had to be done, I'm really pleased with the result.  I may be wrong, but someone said that PF only breaks V8's?

What is Paul Frost's webpage?

I never thought a wooden steering wheel was such a big deal ......till I got one. Just feels so nice and the colour of the wood is very luxurious.

2 hours ago, MLW said:

What is Paul Frost's webpage?

I never thought a wooden steering wheel was such a big deal ......till I got one. Just feels so nice and the colour of the wood is very luxurious.

I'm not sure. If you look him up on eBay there's a mobile number, maybe give him a call to ask him?  He's called lexussparesdirect so maybe type that in.  I agree, the wood does feel nice, and I was chuffed at the way it matches perfectly without any fading.

New wheel looks very nice. I have to say that even though my leather one is still in good condition, I'd like to have that extra walnut. Did you consider also getting the matching walnut option gear knob?

5 hours ago, Stupot said:

New wheel looks very nice. I have to say that even though my leather one is still in good condition, I'd like to have that extra walnut. Did you consider also getting the matching walnut option gear knob?

I have considered the gear knob, trouble is there's nowt wrong with the existing one. Also they don't seem to come up that often. I'm fairly sure I'll succumb though, that little bit of extra wood would be nice!

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

I have considered the gear knob, trouble is there's nowt wrong with the existing one. Also they don't seem to come up that often. I'm fairly sure I'll succumb though, that little bit of extra wood would be nice!

Wood........................reminds me of;

Rover

Westminster

Wolsey

Riley,.........none of which I ever had, but which in memory/mind,  I STILL LUST AFTER...............I cannot explain it!

11 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Wood........................reminds me of;

Rover

Westminster

Wolsey

Riley,.........none of which I ever had, but which in memory/mind,  I STILL LUST AFTER...............I cannot explain it!

I had a Westminster, it seemed huge in its day, probably looks small now.

I bought a lovely Wood wheel from America for twice the amount you paid - said it was for a '93 but turned out to be for a later model.  Couldn't see how to adapt it so sold it recently after a year or two's languishing at home,  for £149 plus delivery.  Feedback read " Absolutely superb what more can i say. extremely impressed " Very glad buyer is pleased with it. 

They cost over £1k new I believe?

Had some wood on my Riley but not a 60's icon but a '34 Lynx Tourer. First Car I ever owned.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Funnily enough, although my wheel is nearly mint, the leather on the knob has peeled... so I have every excuse to go for a wood one :-) 

I tried to figure out how easy it would be to change the gear knob... the chrome collar beneath drops down easy enough revealing a white plastic collar... that's as far as I got.

If anyone fancies having a go at refurbing their gear knob Pete Haylands had a go and kindly done a write up:

Whilst searching for his post I came across these:

https://www.amazon.com/Birds-Leather-TOYOTA-Landcruiser-Chrome/dp/B01HZLV6RM

I don't think they are original but do look good with a pocket money price tag.

2 hours ago, Stupot said:

Funnily enough, although my wheel is nearly mint, the leather on the knob has peeled... so I have every excuse to go for a wood one 🙂

I tried to figure out how easy it would be to change the gear knob... the chrome collar beneath drops down easy enough revealing a white plastic collar... that's as far as I got.

The whole thing unscrews anti clockwise, simple as that. 

4 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

My Merc is all wood/wood effect, so I have/ am still, satisfying my lust!

Westminster was a tank in its day.Was it a Rolls Vanden Plas?

I don't remember it that well, it was black with red leather.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links