Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New steering wheel today

32 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

The whole thing unscrews anti clockwise, simple as that. 

That's what I assumed and tried, but it resisted and I did not want to do my usual gorilla and bust it! I'll give it more grunt if I get a new knob! Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, Stupot said:

That's what I assumed and tried, but it resisted and I did not want to do my usual gorilla and bust it! I'll give it more grunt if I get a new knob! Thanks for the info.

When you unscrew it the knob does appear firm and it feels like you are cross threaded the threads but it does come off eventually

2 hours ago, Stupot said:

I am referring to the LS430 knob but I imagine the 400 is fitted the same way. I also removed it from my GS, it just unscrewed as well.

• 1 month later...

Having lost a wad of money importing a beautiful Steering wheel which was not for a '93 vehicle but a later model I decided not to bother changing it. 

I spotted this, which is not one of those full wrapped round leather and pretend wood with chrome divider sew on covers but (IMO) a better alternative.

For under £17 I thought it worth a punt.  Part of the reason is that I occasionally suffer from Carpel Tunnel on long trips and so this makes for a wider diameter wheel grip.

The part duly arrived just before Christmas and I decided not to remove the cover over the 3m sticky quarter inch strip as I found it was secure enough when put on.  However, for the '93 each part was a bit too long.  The longest by 25mm and the short parts which fitted ok but were not flush enough because they were too close to the frame, I cut off 7mm. Chamfered the edge and with some Walnut quick drying paint tidied an end.  Invisible to the eye. Admit I didn't add varnish.

If anyone buys one they need only pm me and I'll send a small sachet of Walnut matching paint and a pipe cleaner to tidy the end if you decide to cut off.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Walnut-Wood-Steering-Wheel-Cover-for-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-Lexus-Camry/283240957147?hash=item41f27a04db:g:SD0AAOSwimZbhXah:rk:36:pf:0

IMG_2814.JPG

On 12/31/2018 at 2:43 PM, Hangie said:

I like your analog clock but I'm a bit scarred of all those button out there. 

Standard buttons. Non standard Facia panels.

Clock, because I just can't bring myelf to buy a new LCD strip from America for RHD which they price at three times LHD.  Happy to pay import charges but...

As I used to collect real Movement Watches and have about forty sat in a box (unloved, unviewed and unused) I thought it time to find a home for a Quartz which doesn't quite go with these and also not require daily winding.

3 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

I just can't bring myelf to buy a new LCD strip from America for RHD w

can you get this sorted by someone who knows how to re-solder the connections .....  if that's what the issue might be

Many many years ago on my Mk2 I had a guy nr. Farnham fix it for me, on his bench at home  (  I think it was this fading/failing problem ! )

I drove there, he removed the set-up, sorted the connectors etc and re-installed it all .....  @£100 maybe, I can't remember

Steve2006 on here might remember all about this issue too ........ ????

Malc

you might be right Stuart, it was a long long time ago for me ........... i think the soldered ends part company slightly with age/heat etc..........  but that might be for another component on the dash :whistling1:

someone else on here should know the answer surely ??

Malc

Malc, 

Back in 2003 a Jim Walker made the following comment in a Post entitled "Air Conditioning problem Ls400"

" i am an electronics engineer so I decided to explore this problem and I found that the glass liquid crystal display itself is the part that fails, as opposed to an electronic component that drives the display. These displays are custom made for or by Lexus so you can't just go to the neighborhood Liquid Crystal Display store and by a replacement. Lexus won't sell them, they only sell the whole climate control unit. "

He then went on to say he was going to get 100 made up.  You can buy RHD versions from Tannin Electronics on t'bay USA $99.99 + $13.99 shipping, plus import charge whatever.  Its not a lot but I can't really be bothered with going to the trouble of changing it. Getting lazier every year that goes bye! Last years Alternator and Power Steering pump was enough for me - or was it the previous year?? Blimey daren't blink these days time is going so fast!

I think that Mr Doofa would have wished he had read the thread before buying into Lexus. I sometimes think I should. May have stayed with the S Class, albeit Scotty's nightmare. 

The Cars mentioned were only ten years old then. My own is now 25 years and I think I've dealt with most of its failings but pray that the Air Con stays as great as it's been.  Don't of course know its history. but I always use it at least for part of every trip however short, to ensure the seals don't dry out, etc.