Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi - just joined after a whole four days of Lexus ownership! I do have a question to kick off with: when I start my rx400h for the first time in a day, the petrol motor invariably cuts in after only a few seconds ie. even before I’ve moved off. I have made sure the air blower/air con is switched off before I remove the key, so I don’t see why it needs to do this. There is no sloping drive for it to tackle either. I just don’t have enough hybrid experience yet to know if this is normal, so any thoughts would be gratefully received.

If you're saying the engine starts up when cold within 10 seconds of turning the key, that's fully normal. The hybrid system requires the catalysts and the coolant to warm up before going into "full hybrid mode". This, on a cold day can take up to 15 minutes of driving. You can read more about the stages of hybrid operation here: http://www.john2211.nl/Hybride_modi.htm

Hi Felix, Welcome to the club! Yes this is quite normal. The ICE will start and usually run till it reaches a minimum operating temperature ( mainly to keep the occupants warm I think! ) I previously had a 400h and now have a 450h they both do the same.

Enjoy  Bri

• Like 1

One can (at least in my RC300h) force the car into full EV mode by pressing the EV mode button before the ICE starts up. 

I invariably do this on my early morning departures from home. The car will run for approx 250m before the mode auto-cancels. In the summer and warmer mornings it'll go a far bit further. I leave everything switched on, seat heaters, defoggers, a/c etc. makes no odds.