Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gradient-Sensitive Fuel Tank [?]

Driving through Switzerland earlier this week I noticed what might be considered a flaw, albeit a very minor one, in the RC's fuel measuring/monitoring system.

Seeing I had time to spare before an appointment on the other side of the Gotthard, I decided to indulge in a bit of nostalgia and take the steep and winding old

road over the Pass instead of the customary quick but boring route through the Tunnel.  As I neared the top of the climb, the low-fuel warning light came on -

which I had been expecting.  Then, when I was crossing the flat central section of the Pass some 1000-1200m later, it went out again - which I had not been

expecting.  I supposed this to be the effect of the fuel in the tank  settling at a detectable level after sloshing about during the climb.  I was thus reminded of

past times when the fuel-gauges of cars that were far less sophisticated than those of today tended, as the tank gradually emptied, to twitch and tremble with

every change of gradient, and especially in hairpin bends.  The light came on again some 3000m further on during the descent, and remained on until I refuelled 

25km later.   I thought this episode worth reporting since it was the first time I ever saw the light go off - and stay off for an appreciable distance - after first

coming on.   I otherwise only recall similar but less extreme steep-gradient situations in an IS300h when the light may have flickered a few times before finally

staying on.

As a postscript I'll add that this was the first time I had done this sort of long climb and descent in the RC.  I was not expecting the car to disappoint, and nor

did it.  While not aiming for tyre-squealing levels of speed, I did sustain a brisk rate of progress  favoured by long stretches of well-nigh empty road.  The car

remained unruffled throughout.  Uphill acceleration, usually in Sport+, was seamless;  the steering was responsive, precise, and felt perfectly weighted;  the

stability in the numerous bends and curves was beyond reproach despite the amount of body-roll being not unexpectedly greater than I had previously

experienced.  The brakes may have begun to fade somewhat during the long descent, not dramatically but enough to dictate slower speeds and, had there

been more of them, a longer distance from cars in front.  Really, my only quarrel was with the PCS, which sounded off with disconcerting frequency  because,

before corrections of trajectory in tight bends, it would naturally identify high side-walls as collision risks.  My initial intention to exploit what was a perfect

opportunity to use the paddles more than I usually do was short-lived, for although I did occasionally favour downshifting on long downhill straights in order

to spare the brakes, I generally preferred to look at the scenery and let the car do all the work.  

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links