Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre "skipping" on full lock

I don't like that thing, I don't get used to understeer at 5-10mph and don't think it is right. Might five Lexus a call and see what they think of it.

They won’t be able to do a thing. It’s a nuisance but you get used to it

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Just to echo others, this is a common thing - as someone else posted earlier, mercedes have got it so bad with their GLC that there's a class-action lawsuit against them for it (from what I've read, it afflicts RHD cars much worse, because of a change in the steering geometry that occured during the changeover. Like it's GLK predecessor, the GLC seems not to have RHD in mind at the design stage, as there's nowhere for your left foot to go in an RHD GLC). Our V70 also does this on very tight turns. 

Two posters in this thread compared notes on 17" IS wheels - The eagle F1 Asymmetric have very stiff sidewalls while the Yokohama blueearth do not. It's not only the profile height, but the overall stiffness of the sidewall. 

That's why merc's fix for the GLC was to fit winter tyres - softer, more compliant rubber. 

Ultimately it's about choosing an appropriate tyre - there's a lot of people who "big up" tyres like the F1 Asymmetric, Michelin PS2, etc,  but these are stiff UHP tyres that are aimed at cars where sporting responses are the #1 priority - eg BMW Z4, Toyota GT86, Supra, Cayman, etc. They're not really appropriate on a luxury saloon or family car - for this you're better off with a more compliant tyre like EfficientGrip, Crossclimate, Primacy, Turanza, etc (although I do NOT recommend Pirelli P7 Cinturato - we suffered a very high failure rate of these tyres). No, they won't provide quite as much grip in warm conditions as a UHP tyre nor as sharp response, but they have a wider operating envelope, lower noise, better wear and less crabbing. 

I recall a thread on the Volvo owner's club where someone was utterly insistent that Pilot Sport Cup 2s were the best tyre for a 2.0 diesel V50...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, i-s said:

Just to echo others, this is a common thing - as someone else posted earlier, mercedes have got it so bad with their GLC that there's a class-action lawsuit against them for it (from what I've read, it afflicts RHD cars much worse, because of a change in the steering geometry that occured during the changeover. Like it's GLK predecessor, the GLC seems not to have RHD in mind at the design stage, as there's nowhere for your left foot to go in an RHD GLC). Our V70 also does this on very tight turns. 

Two posters in this thread compared notes on 17" IS wheels - The eagle F1 Asymmetric have very stiff sidewalls while the Yokohama blueearth do not. It's not only the profile height, but the overall stiffness of the sidewall. 

That's why merc's fix for the GLC was to fit winter tyres - softer, more compliant rubber. 

Ultimately it's about choosing an appropriate tyre - there's a lot of people who "big up" tyres like the F1 Asymmetric, Michelin PS2, etc,  but these are stiff UHP tyres that are aimed at cars where sporting responses are the #1 priority - eg BMW Z4, Toyota GT86, Supra, Cayman, etc. They're not really appropriate on a luxury saloon or family car - for this you're better off with a more compliant tyre like EfficientGrip, Crossclimate, Primacy, Turanza, etc (although I do NOT recommend Pirelli P7 Cinturato - we suffered a very high failure rate of these tyres). No, they won't provide quite as much grip in warm conditions as a UHP tyre nor as sharp response, but they have a wider operating envelope, lower noise, better wear and less crabbing. 

I recall a thread on the Volvo owner's club where someone was utterly insistent that Pilot Sport Cup 2s were the best tyre for a 2.0 diesel V50...

Since when do the Goodyear eagle F1 Asymmetric have stiff sidewalls?

They're some of the softest and can be manipulated using a single hand. 

They're among the softest of UHP tyres, sure, but distinctly stiff compared to a touring tyre with a thin sidewall and balloon profile (eg p7 cinturato). That was my point, rather than the f1 being the stiffest. 

I am pretty sure tires will play a biggest role in this situation and if I had something cheap like Wanli or smth I would expect that quality but having Pirreli with 4mm of thread that's shocking, we should have a recall or a lawsuit to sort that!

If I don't sell the car I will need to think what tires will be best to avoid 'skipping" effect, it will probably be an all season tire anyway.

21 hours ago, i-s said:

They're among the softest of UHP tyres, sure, but distinctly stiff compared to a touring tyre with a thin sidewall and balloon profile (eg p7 cinturato). That was my point, rather than the f1 being the stiffest. 

Except you cant get touring tyres on the top spec IS because they have low profile 18" tyres

Maybe so, but the discussion on page 2 was about 225/45R17 in which you certainly can get both. On my Honda, which was on 225/45r17.  I went from eagle f1 asymmetric to pirelli cinturato p7 and certainly noticed the much greater compliance in the Pirelli.

The point I was trying to make was that the eagle F1s on Adrian300h's (where he does report skipping) are less compliant than the Yokohama blueearth on wharfhouse's car (who does not report skipping). All else being equal (car, tyre size). 

• Like 1

I am pretty sure tires will play a biggest role in this situation and if I had something cheap like Wanli or smth I would expect that quality but having Pirreli with 4mm of thread that's shocking, we should have a recall or a lawsuit to sort that!
If I don't sell the car I will need to think what tires will be best to avoid 'skipping" effect, it will probably be an all season tire anyway.

I’ve got good year efficient grips and mine does it and has done it with 4mm on the tread. It’s the way the steering geometry is set and there is no way whatsoever it can be completed got rid of. Low tread, cold weather will exacerbate the characteristic

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, st4 said:

I’ve got good year efficient grips and mine does it and has done it with 4mm on the tread. It’s the way the steering geometry is set and there is no way whatsoever it can be completed got rid of. Low tread, cold weather will exacerbate the characteristic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephen thank you for sharing regards winter tires. That is what I am afraid of, I buy new winter tires but the problem will stay, as you say I am thinking it is a suspension geometry thing. 

• Like 1