Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New car

2 hours ago, Shada said:

We paid £6719 for the car and probably another 300 transport when it arrives, so hopefully be as new for around 10k.

thats a crazy. Price for a loom, it could be soldered and heat shrinked for a few pennies in materials, just like dealers do on recalls, it's good enough then!

but if the insurance is paying nobody seems to care, Then question the premiums! That looks a lot of damage for a tyre, was your upper grill ok or was that broke too? Any radiator damage?

Unfortunately I couldn't have a copy of the list of parts as it was an insurance job and so don't have the details now. I don't think the radiator was on the list but I think the condenser may have been. On the grille not sure either. Regards the loom they said when the lower section was ripped out it ripped the fog lamp wires out from the loom and tracing it back there was no other plug and socket break in the loom in the engine bay and so to put it back good as new had to replace the whole loom in the engine bay... As you say an alternative would have been to splice new wiring in but then as it's insurance and the 3rd party (lorry driver) was at fault that's what it took to put it back to as new. I guess it's not a common part so they get to charge what they like! It is surprising the damage a lorry tyre can do hit at 70mph (it was dark and I never even saw it) however a lot of that area is plastic which simply disintegrated. Three cars hit the tyre (I was the first and punted it across the lanes) - one of the other cars looked to have similar damage to mine (an Audi) and a BMW had lighter damage and so was still drivable. It was with Lexus for 8 weeks for repairs but quite a bit of that time was investing for the insurance company the cost as it was marginal whether to repair or write off and the insurance company were keen to make sure the damage wasn't going to be worse than first estimated if the repair was started. The 3rd party insurer also paid for a hire car for me for the 8 weeks too (Mercedes C Class). Dread to think what the total insurance cost of repairing all three cars was! 

Good luck with your repairs - hope you get it back on the road at a sensible cost - they are excellent cars. 

6 hours ago, route66 said:

This is the one on EBay I mentioned above: link.

Apparently bought for £5,800 & later sold for £4,321 after an additional £5,000 was first spent 😲

No mention of original damage; sounds like an abandoned project.

I did see that one when searching parts, it said at the top of the listing "breaking only insurance disposal" so I figured it was either a cat b that had been hit before or suffered Battery damage on the hybrid system. It doesent look to have had repairs just looks stripped to assess.

Car arrived late last night, the driver from copart ripped the back bumper off moving it with the fork truck!

spent today refitting the rear bumper and assessing the damage, pretty much needs just what I was expecting, few damaged pipes for the transmission cooler and Battery coolers that I didn't think of but they won't be difficult.

however I didn't realise the system this car had for the pop up hood, I thought it was a crumple zone and just needed the bonnet replaced, was I wrong! After doing some reading on this forum about it I'm contenplating if it would be wiser to refit or delete this feature!

almost every car Ive had has clipped something with the front bumper during my ownership, most more than once! Foxes rabbits traffic cone blown across the road ect, I'm thinking refitting this could end badly!

full parts list will follow once Ive received a part diagram and identified what exactly is missing and wich damaged bits will repair or require replaced.

it has 2 rims lightly buckled I'm contemplating weather to scource 2 second hand rims or have these repaired and fitted with snow tyres then buy a set of 19" f sport rims to set it off, hoping the drive quality won't suffer with them, anyone any experience with changing to bigger wheels on these?

6 hours ago, Shada said:

moving it with the fork truck!

presumably it was immovable with a wheel missing and the steering totally useless  ?  one couldn't get inside maybe ?

why else would anyone use a forklift to move a car ?  that's damage inevitable

Malc

1 hour ago, Martin F said:

Take a look on Toyodiy.com(need to create an account which takes seconds) for parts diagrams, you will find it invaluable. 

If I remember correctly F_sport wheels are 18".

I tried this site previously and registered as thought it might be useful - just had another look but I can't see any diagrams just the parts lists?

37 minutes ago, Martin F said:

If you can't see the diagrams either you are not logged in correctly (check top right of window) or there is a problem with your account.

I am logged in and first screen see the 4x main categories in the tabs and the categories and sub list below the header tabs - if I click on one of the tabs (or top of the list) I get a list of hyperlink for various sections and then if I click on one of those I get a list of part numbers and description and sometimes a price like this - but can't find any parts list diagrams...

image.png.5c38a40e3aa87f36d26775fd53384a2f.png

unfortunately copart move all cars with fork trucks driving or not, and adding aditional damage is their specialty!

believe it or not my car drove on and off the truck and into the garage!

Well it's been slow progress with the car, waiting on a used bonnet and bumper to be transported from England so can't do much until it arrives.

Used bumper, reinforcer and bonnet £300 + cost of collection. 

new wing from Lexus £125+vat arrived already

metal panel between locking panel and headlight £20.00 new from Lexus.

drl over 500+vat used one ordered from Lithuania £195 posted, waiting for it to arrive

used splash guard £60 but trying to bid down on it.

new headlight £395 +vat still hoping I can find a used rhd one!

set of 19" genuine Lexus f sport wheels from an rx450 ordered!

tie rod £155+vat from Lexus, not listed after market although it looks identical to mk2 Lexus so going to order a blue print one and see if it's the same, if not motor factors can return it no issues.

some other pieces still to get such as parking sensors grilles washer jet fog lamp holders bumper foam brackets ect but I wish to get the panels on and lined and painted ect first and pray the 19" rims fit!

BThe smaller profile tyres should take up the most of the difference in rotation size and the speedo is also set to read slightly over from factory anyway, can't mind the exact rules but it's allowed to read over by something like 10% but not allowed to be under at all.

will have to check when fitted but id say it will be closer to accurate if anything.

more worried about clearance from the tyre to suspension for now.

and that ugly tyre pressure light when swapping the 17" to winter tyres, id really like to disable the tyre pressure monitor as on winters I'd prefer to run lower pressures.

i have attached a image of wheel calculator

thoses wheels will give you some issue if the stock tyres are fitted

i found the tyre sizes on an advert on eBay for the rx450 19 wheels

tyre 19.jpg

• 1 month later...

IMG_20181216_182944.thumb.jpg.c000daf1e1574eeb1865900f807a6abb.jpgJust an update on this one parts gathering has been slow due to unforseen circumstances at home. Wheels splash guards etc have arrived. Still need a few pipes brackets and plastics. Airbag unit has been sent off for reset due to the pop up hood activation. It will be running with 235/35/19 tyres all round. Gaps are nice with these. 

Updates to follow when I get back on it. Hopefully soon. 

IMG_20181216_183009.jpg

IMG_20181216_182958.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Haven't had time to update this for a while, all fixed and back on the road. Some questions about features to follow. 

IMG_20190504_130828.jpg

IMG_20190504_130840.jpg

IMG_20190504_130915.jpg

IMG_20190414_203146.jpg

IMG_20190414_203216.jpg

IMG_20190414_203238.jpg

IMG_20190414_203406.jpg

IMG_20190414_203302.jpg

IMG_20190418_084427.jpg

IMG_20190414_203346.jpg

IMG_20190414_203323.jpg

• Like 4