Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All,

Occasional poster here still harbouring a desire for an old LS!

Quick question about some LS430s looking a bit "saggy" in photos. Is this a guaranteed sign of rear air suspension issues or are they like the old Citroens where they only rise up when the ignition is on. For example this one linked below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-LS-LS430-4-3-V8-Premium-Pack-Sheldon-Green-Suffolk-Leather-2001-51/302936195094?hash=item4688678016:g:mdUAAOSwfcNb1Ix2

Slightly off topic but I note good MkIV LS400s and pre-facelift LS430s now appear to have crossed over in values.

thanks as ever!

9 hours ago, SlowV6 said:

Hi All,

Occasional poster here still harbouring a desire for an old LS!

Quick question about some LS430s looking a bit "saggy" in photos. Is this a guaranteed sign of rear air suspension issues or are they like the old Citroens where they only rise up when the ignition is on. For example this one linked below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-LS-LS430-4-3-V8-Premium-Pack-Sheldon-Green-Suffolk-Leather-2001-51/302936195094?hash=item4688678016:g:mdUAAOSwfcNb1Ix2

Slightly off topic but I note good MkIV LS400s and pre-facelift LS430s now appear to have crossed over in values.

thanks as ever!

If the suspension drops overnight then there's a problem. During every day use the compressor will kick in to keep things even but only for 20 seconds or so. It's worth noting that the LS430 always appears to sit low at the rear and high at the front. It does look low in the pictures but they're not the best images so hard to say on that one.

35 minutes ago, SlowV6 said:

Thank you. Remind me are LS430s air suspension all round or just the rear? What is the typical cost per corner to budget for when considering running one? 

Yes, air all round.  Sadly each corner is £850ish plus each one has a sensor at £350. They are fairly easy to fit though.  There are no aftermarket ones apart from Rockauto in the States. A conversion to coils is an option at about £1,300 for all four.  On the other hand you may have no trouble with them to worry about anyway!

Just to add that normally the air compressor pump is inaudible.

When going to view cars ask if the suspension sinks overnight to indicate a leaking strut. On a level ground with the engine running if you flick the suspension switch from low to high the car should slowly rise about 2 - 4 inches.

Hope this helps

They always look that way. Check out this article on the US Club forum.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/896244-does-ride-height-affect-tire-wear.html
Scroll down and it shows and explains why the rear arches are lower.

Ignore the arches and instead make sure that the bottom of the body is parallel with the ground.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigBoomer said:

They always look that way. Check out this article on the US Club forum.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/896244-does-ride-height-affect-tire-wear.html
Scroll down and it shows and explains why the rear arches are lower.

Ignore the arches and instead make sure that the bottom of the body is parallel with the ground.

That's good info - so the car is actually level - it just appears that way due to the size of the arches

BC coilovers are another option at about £700. However, you will need to specify different spring rates and valving to retain the Lexus ride quality. Spring rates can be found but as for the valving used in OEM shocks, who knows.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Newbie1 said:

BC coilovers are another option at about £700. However, you will need to specify different spring rates and valving to retain the Lexus ride quality. Spring rates can be found but as for the valving used in OEM shocks, who knows.

This is something that has always confused me.  What's the difference between coilovers and conventional spring struts, anyone know?  Strutmaster in the States manufacturer their own and make some specifically for the LS430 but aren't referred to as coilovers.

3 hours ago, Newbie1 said:

Loose terminology by me! OEM springs and struts are mounted coilover fashion. Common parlance has coilovers referring to aftermarket units adjustable for height, rebound etc.

I see. The ones Strutmaster sell aren't adjustable, just straight  replacement, so I'm guessing there's quite a difference.

I see. The ones Strutmaster sell aren't adjustable, just straight  replacement, so I'm guessing there's quite a difference.
Bc coilovers come with a 30 way adjustable damp rate and have fully adjustable ride height and spring rates can be set. I have a set on my mk4 and love them

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Connor2x4 said:

Bc coilovers come with a 30 way adjustable damp rate and have fully adjustable ride height and spring rates can be set. I have a set on my mk4 and love them

Did you buy them in the UK, and do they feel similar to the original setup?  So presumably the main difference is being adjustable compared to simple coil spring struts?

Did you buy them in the UK, and do they feel similar to the original setup?  So presumably the main difference is being adjustable compared to simple coil spring struts?
Yep, set of four I got on sale for £670. They were on sale think normal price £749

Most people will refer to adjustable coilovers as simply coilovers. However coilovers are already on most cars (as it's just a coil spring over the strut) they just aren't adjustable. So yes your right in saying the only difference is the adjustability (and that many people refer to them as simply coilovers)

You can request whatever spring rates you like and can set them up to the standard ride height if you wish, just ensure that there is enough thread in the bottom of the shock absorber strut (the amount I believe is included in the instructions)

The 30 way adjusting is brilliant. I have it set 10 from the softest and to say I'm running my Mk4 low on 19" wheels and runflats, it's much comfier than you'd expect! I can only imagine on the original wheels and stock ride height with the dampness set to very soft you'd retain that original Lexus feel [emoji41]

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Connor2x4 said:

Yep, set of four I got on sale for £670. They were on sale think normal price £749

Most people will refer to adjustable coilovers as simply coilovers. However coilovers are already on most cars (as it's just a coil spring over the strut) they just aren't adjustable. So yes your right in saying the only difference is the adjustability (and that many people refer to them as simply coilovers)

You can request whatever spring rates you like and can set them up to the standard ride height if you wish, just ensure that there is enough thread in the bottom of the shock absorber strut (the amount I believe is included in the instructions)

The 30 way adjusting is brilliant. I have it set 10 from the softest and to say I'm running my Mk4 low on 19" wheels and runflats, it's much comfier than you'd expect! I can only imagine on the original wheels and stock ride height with the dampness set to very soft you'd retain that original Lexus feel emoji41.png

Hope this helps!

Great info, and reassuring for anyone (perhaps especially LS430 owners) who have that "what if" question in the back of their minds.  Thanks.👍

Great info, and reassuring for anyone (perhaps especially LS430 owners) who have that "what if" question in the back of their minds.  Thanks.[emoji106]
Thank you, I've seen a few posts now where 430 owners have either replaced their standard air suspension at astronomical costs or paid Lexus prices for single parts of the suspension setup, just wish I was able to offer this advice to them sooner, hopefully it'll help a few :)

• Like 1

As a prospective LS430 owner I have found this thread incredibly useful for two reasons. Firstly the visual check about the bottom of the car being level when buying one and then a reasonable cost way forward for tackling worn out air suspension if disaster strikes and prolonging the life of a 430. I wonder what % of LS430s are suffering suspension issues - are we talking "when" rather than "if" do you think?

Final question from me on suspension - if you convert to coils/struts do you need to do something with the ride height sensors & ECUs and compressor pump to stop it thinking there are issues all the time?

So other than air suspension, stereo amplifier issues, radiators needing replacing and failed rear aircon there is nothing really to worry about 😉 

Or do most of these things actually work most of the time! It brings me back to my unoriginal LS400 MkIV vs LS430 question a couple of years back.

Thanks all.

43 minutes ago, SlowV6 said:

As a prospective LS430 owner I have found this thread incredibly useful for two reasons. Firstly the visual check about the bottom of the car being level when buying one and then a reasonable cost way forward for tackling worn out air suspension if disaster strikes and prolonging the life of a 430. I wonder what % of LS430s are suffering suspension issues - are we talking "when" rather than "if" do you think?

Final question from me on suspension - if you convert to coils/struts do you need to do something with the ride height sensors & ECUs and compressor pump to stop it thinking there are issues all the time?

So other than air suspension, stereo amplifier issues, radiators needing replacing and failed rear aircon there is nothing really to worry about 😉 

Or do most of these things actually work most of the time! It brings me back to my unoriginal LS400 MkIV vs LS430 question a couple of years back.

Thanks all.

I don't think it's necessarily a case of when, but it isn't too uncommon.  The compressor can be disconnected and even removed.  Apparently it will throw a warning light but there is info out there on how to remove it. With the pre-facelift at least, the windows can delaminate causing unsightly white marks. So far I've had LS430's for 4 years with only one height sensor being replaced.  Even these I see Paul Frost has them for £85, better than the £350 I paid. They can sometimes be taken apart, cleaned and resealed.

The LS430 is such an amazing car, who cares if you have to spend a couple of quid on a few bits.  You're getting a 70k car for circa 4k anyway :)

I've had mine for nearly three years, I've not had much at all go wrong with it (touch wood!!!!) so far.

if the air suspension failed tomorrow I would replace it with air suspension as I just absolutely love it.  It's worth the cost.

Stereo has been fine... I replaced the radiator as a precaution, although the original looked fine actually after it came out.  I dont have a aircon fridge, I have a ski hatch

From memory, I had to get the multi functional display unit fixed, replaced a couple of interior LED bulbs.... erm... that's it.

EVerything else I have spent on the car has been consumables.brakes, tyres, cam belt, radiator, servicing

Absolute bargain if you ask me, - i love the car, - so special to drive, - makes journeys a pleasure

If I wrote the car off tomorrow, I would look for another LS430

The LS430 is such an amazing car, who cares if you have to spend a couple of quid on a few bits.  You're getting a 70k car for circa 4k anyway :)
I've had mine for nearly three years, I've not had much at all go wrong with it (touch wood!!!!) so far.
if the air suspension failed tomorrow I would replace it with air suspension as I just absolutely love it.  It's worth the cost.
Stereo has been fine... I replaced the radiator as a precaution, although the original looked fine actually after it came out.  I dont have a aircon fridge, I have a ski hatch
From memory, I had to get the multi functional display unit fixed, replaced a couple of interior LED bulbs.... erm... that's it.
EVerything else I have spent on the car has been consumables.brakes, tyres, cam belt, radiator, servicing
Absolute bargain if you ask me, - i love the car, - so special to drive, - makes journeys a pleasure
But would you rather have an expensive set of oem air struts or go for a brand new set with fully adjustable height? Which and why?

Just out of curiosity

2 hours ago, PJD said:

The LS430 is such an amazing car, who cares if you have to spend a couple of quid on a few bits.  You're getting a 70k car for circa 4k anyway 🙂

I agree to a large extent, it is by far the best car to drive that I've had since passing my test in 1972! When I bought mine around August it had some oil misting on one rear strut and it was a tad bouncy so I bought a used one for £175 and paid £75 to have it fitted and it transformed it. Should I have any more trouble I may continue down that route, maybe. The car has only 63k on it but it may just be time that causes the suspension problems (if they arise)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-Ls400-Dhp-Suspension-Shockers-Springs-And-rear-Roll-Bar-2000/202482867728?hash=item2f24eb5e10:g:BKkAAOSw7p1awfwD:rk:1:pf:0

just seen this at £500 with Paul Frost ?  at lexuspartsdirect on ebay  !

any use maybe ...  is it his sales avenue ?

Malc

22 hours ago, Connor2x4 said:

But would you rather have an expensive set of oem air struts or go for a brand new set with fully adjustable height? Which and why?

Just out of curiosity

Sorry, probably me being silly, I am not sure what you're asking?  Whether I would go for OEM air struts, or fully adjustable coilovers?