Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bumped into by lorry

DSC_9784.thumb.JPG.6eef4f24b611a671cd0f4def4b99e7c3.JPG

I got bumped into by  lorry a couple of weeks ago. I sent my dashcam footage to my insurance company who then confirmed it wasn't my fault. I'll be taking it to a lexus main dealer soon after approval from insurance company.. How are the damages normally fixed,  or are they replaced ?

As can be seen, there are 4 biits that ( 5 if you includes the alloy wheel) need to be rectified, especially the wheel arch bit which is metal and forms a big bit of the car.

The 4 bits being

1. Part of front pasessenger door 

2. Rear passenger door 

3. Wheel Arch

4. Rear Bumper 

5. Rear Pasenegr side alloy wheel

Would it have been betetr if it was a write off ?

32 minutes ago, mpls said:

DSC_9784.thumb.JPG.6eef4f24b611a671cd0f4def4b99e7c3.JPG

I got bumped into by  lorry a couple of weeks ago. I sent my dashcam footage to my insurance company who then confirmed it wasn't my fault. I'll be taking it to a lexus main dealer soon after approval from insurance company.. How are the damages normally fixed,  or are they replaced ?

As can be seen, there are 4 biits that ( 5 if you includes the alloy wheel) need to be rectified, especially the wheel arch bit which is metal and forms a big bit of the car.

The 4 bits being

1. Part of front pasessenger door 

2. Rear passenger door 

3. Wheel Arch

4. Rear Bumper 

5. Rear Pasenegr side alloy wheel

Would it have been betetr if it was a write off ?

Wouldn't have thought a write off. I had my IS 300h repaired at a Lexus / Toyota body shop after hitting a lorry tyre at night on the motorway (puncture on the lorry shed it's tyre - myself and two other cars hit the tyre - fortunately the lorry had stopped so we could get details and his insurance paid). Came to £13,000 of repairs for just my car! However excellent job done and wouldn't know it had been repaired. Hope all goes well with yours. 

IT may well be written off due to the price of replacing that rear panel. Lexus will want to replace the full panel. However it's a straight forward repair if you were to buy it salvage from the insurers. 

That rear panel cannot be replaced.

As Shada says, the repair itself is pretty straightforward.  Standard denting and painting.  Can't see the bumper needing to be replaced either. 

As for what Lexus will say and how you want to play it..

Couple of points, though.  Get the rear wheel and suspension checked thoroughly.  Do find out if a repair will mark the car with an accident Category.  If any of these two apply, then you really do have a case for a write-off and you probably don't want anything more with this car.

Best outcome:  Lexus suggest it's written off, there's no damage to the wheel/suspension and you buy it salvage from the insurers.

39 minutes ago, BachelorDays said:

That rear panel cannot be replaced.

As Shada says, the repair itself is pretty straightforward.  Standard denting and painting.  Can't see the bumper needing to be replaced either. 

As for what Lexus will say and how you want to play it..

Couple of points, though.  Get the rear wheel and suspension checked thoroughly.  Do find out if a repair will mark the car with an accident Category.  If any of these two apply, then you really do have a case for a write-off and you probably don't want anything more with this car.

Best outcome:  Lexus suggest it's written off, there's no damage to the wheel/suspension and you buy it salvage from the insurers.

Such an inaccurate post. :wallbash:

The rear quarter panel can be replaced, the part is available from Lexus, but it is a big job. Looking at the pictures above a Lexus body shop my want to replace it but would need a closer inspection, it may be possible to pull it and lightly skim.

The car will only receive a write-off category if it is actually written off (stands to reason). 

Good Luck with the repair.

13 hours ago, Martin F said:

Such an inaccurate post. :wallbash:

The rear quarter panel can be replaced, the part is available from Lexus, but it is a big job. Looking at the pictures above a Lexus body shop my want to replace it but would need a closer inspection, it may be possible to pull it and lightly skim.

The car will only receive a write-off category if it is actually written off (stands to reason). 

Good Luck with the repair.

I hadn't realised.  So there must be hidden bolts under the paintwork that can get this panel off.  I know you can cut it off and weld on a new one, but I don't consider that replacement as you would, for example, the bonnet or front panel.

Thanks all..

The car's booked in for next Monday. Since it's an insurance job, I hope they'll do a good job and do whatever is necessary. I will also get them to check the wheel and suspension in detail, but perhaps they would do that anyway. I'd rather they replace parts rather than repair and to be honest I won't think of the car in the same way anymore.. just not the same anymore..

4 hours ago, 200h said:

they may pull the dent out there are systems available to do this

they weld keys to the car body .

below is an example of the system in use

Wow, one of the worst done dent pulling jobs I’ve ever seen. Glad he’s not my local approved repairer! Good luck with the repair, they will almost certainly fix that rather then write it off. 

Glad to hear you're OK :thumbs_up:

Someone scraped the same corner on my GS (car was in a car park). Damage was on the bumper, rear panel and rear door. Was told they would replace bumper and rear panel and repair the door - main reasons were they couldn't guarantee the alignment of the rear panels. Your damage seems to be quite a gouge so can't see them even trying to repair that. Total quote from an "approved bodyshop" came to £9k :shock: Mainly due to replacement and the many, many hours of labour required just for that panel. Paint wasn't cheap as it needed blending onto the front door and the roof. Presume your car is the pearl white (my Mrs RX Sport I think has the same colour)?? If so, I've been told that's an even more difficult colour to sort 😞

Car was worth around £6k at the time. A chap I massively trust repaired the whole lot for £700.

Essentially it came down to how much "value" I had in the car. It wasn't a new car by any means so for me getting a repair was worth it rather than getting it written off. Come trade-in/selling time the mileage, general condition etc. in my experience has played much more of a factor.

As a fairly new Lexus owner I’m slightly concerned now at some of the crazy expensive parts and repair charges on this marque!! The standard Servicing costs are already lively enough!!

Insurance job vs non-insurance job. Same with any car. If done on insurance (especially when it's not your fault) the car must be repaired to the same standard as it left the factory - if you are paying yourself then you're probably prepared to cut a few corners - still can be an excellent job but may be carried out a bit differently. Had experience of this on my daughter's (old) Fiesta. Someone hit her car and it needed front wing and headlight. Car would have been a write off as insurance repair costs came to some £1,600. I got some independent quotes and when I spoke to the insurance as the 3rd party and my daughter were with the same insurer they agreed to pay me the money direct for my independent quote of £850 and so not write it off. Bodyshop used genuine Ford parts and did an excellent job. Some of the "extra" checks for insurance weren't needed and hence the saving... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pink said:

As a fairly new Lexus owner I’m slightly concerned now at some of the crazy expensive parts and repair charges on this marque!! The standard Servicing costs are already lively enough!!

It's as Phil in the post above explains.  Too many variables (mainly who's paying, but also age of car, etc). 

At the lower end of gauging the work the panel damage to the car isn't bad at all.  Even that gash is small enough to be tackled easily.  BUT given the fact the car is not that old AND that it's an insured claim, understandably, why shouldn't the owner get it back 'as it were before the crash'.  That makes all the difference (between being fixed virtually imperceptibly and being fixed as if the damage didn't happen in the first place).

• Like 1

If you've taken it to a lexus main dealer bodyshop, their standards are usually a lot higher than say a normal insurance body shop.

I dont know if you saw the post of when a van scraped my wife's car. It was only the rear bumper and they replaced it - total cost £1780.

Lexus don't faf about repairing, they tend to just replace so I presume the rear door will be changed and the front one will have the dents pulled. 

On 11/13/2018 at 5:52 AM, Normski said:

Glad to hear you're OK :thumbs_up:

Someone scraped the same corner on my GS (car was in a car park). Damage was on the bumper, rear panel and rear door. Was told they would replace bumper and rear panel and repair the door - main reasons were they couldn't guarantee the alignment of the rear panels. Your damage seems to be quite a gouge so can't see them even trying to repair that. Total quote from an "approved bodyshop" came to £9k :shock: Mainly due to replacement and the many, many hours of labour required just for that panel. Paint wasn't cheap as it needed blending onto the front door and the roof. Presume your car is the pearl white (my Mrs RX Sport I think has the same colour)?? If so, I've been told that's an even more difficult colour to sort 😞

Car was worth around £6k at the time. A chap I massively trust repaired the whole lot for £700.

Essentially it came down to how much "value" I had in the car. It wasn't a new car by any means so for me getting a repair was worth it rather than getting it written off. Come trade-in/selling time the mileage, general condition etc. in my experience has played much more of a factor.

Thanks.. Car's just over 3 years so has some avlue still..

because I'll be taking to a main dealer colour won;t be a problem.. mine would be the F sport white, not sure if it' s pearl..

23 hours ago, BachelorDays said:

It's as Phil in the post above explains.  Too many variables (mainly who's paying, but also age of car, etc). 

At the lower end of gauging the work the panel damage to the car isn't bad at all.  Even that gash is small enough to be tackled easily.  BUT given the fact the car is not that old AND that it's an insured claim, understandably, why shouldn't the owner get it back 'as it were before the crash'.  That makes all the difference (between being fixed virtually imperceptibly and being fixed as if the damage didn't happen in the first place).

Where the gash on the bumper, if it is a replacement, it's quite a large piece that extends top edge to the front. i trust the dealer would know what to do.. I'd rather they replace that piece to be honest..

28 minutes ago, rayaans said:

If you've taken it to a lexus main dealer bodyshop, their standards are usually a lot higher than say a normal insurance body shop.

I dont know if you saw the post of when a van scraped my wife's car. It was only the rear bumper and they replaced it - total cost £1780.

Lexus don't faf about repairing, they tend to just replace so I presume the rear door will be changed and the front one will have the dents pulled. 

Not done yet, but booked in with the main dealer.

Yes, i saw your post..  that's what I'm hoping Lexus will do to mine...

but the nick on the side of rear bumper would be repaired rather tha replaced i would presume..

13 minutes ago, mpls said:

Where the gash on the bumper, if it is a replacement, it's quite a large piece that extends top edge to the front. i trust the dealer would know what to do.. I'd rather they replace that piece to be honest..

Personally I wouldn't sweat about it. If you have taken it to a Lexus body shop and the 3rd party insurance is paying then you are entitled to a good as before repair, whatever that takes. Lexus know that and so why would they not do the best job possible regardless of cost. In my experience, when I had my collision and the 3rd party insurance paid and Lexus did the repair, they certainly did not scrimp on anything and handled everything on my behalf with the insurance company. A bit like your earlier comment I was thinking that it wouldn't feel the same car but when I saw the repair (and I examined it very, very closely) I honestly could not tell that any work had been done.

17 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Personally I wouldn't sweat about it. If you have taken it to a Lexus body shop and the 3rd party insurance is paying then you are entitled to a good as before repair, whatever that takes. Lexus know that and so why would they not do the best job possible regardless of cost. In my experience, when I had my collision and the 3rd party insurance paid and Lexus did the repair, they certainly did not scrimp on anything and handled everything on my behalf with the insurance company. A bit like your earlier comment I was thinking that it wouldn't feel the same car but when I saw the repair (and I examined it very, very closely) I honestly could not tell that any work had been done.

+1.  Lexus won't want to cut corners - their reputation as much as anything else.  Just wait and see what they suggest.

I suppose the biggest annoyance right now is waiting for the resolution and the inconvenience it's causing.

My opinion on the repair is as I'd stated in my first post.  The rear panel is the only real issue (barring any suspension stuff which they will check).  If Lexus tell you they can fix that then do get the detail from them.  If they say they will replace the rear panel I would really like to know how - since I don't think that can be done to 100% satisfaction cost effectively.

Nowt much that can be done but wait..

23 hours ago, mpls said:

Not done yet, but booked in with the main dealer.

Yes, i saw your post..  that's what I'm hoping Lexus will do to mine...

but the nick on the side of rear bumper would be repaired rather tha replaced i would presume..

The nick would probably be repaired yes as its easy to do. The colour itself isn't that problematic to match so thats good. 

I would assume the rear door will be replaced and the front might be repaired and then the surrounding areas would need the paint blending in to ensure a good match. 

I would expect a hefty bill though - £3k+ if actually replacing the door 

after i bought my 1st IS i found the rear door skin had been replaced

as the integrity of the door frame hadn't been compromised

so this maybe the route that will be taken with your door

From my experience of having car bodies repaired over the years your car will get 2 new door skins (10 years ago it was £300 a skin) the bumper is an easy repair. The wing however is a bummer. 

On wings that size they are made up of multiple piece welded together. I'd say that section of wing will be cut out and a new piece welded in. However the wing would get replaced as it isn't a hard job to a professional. 

Bummer it happened. Once repaired your car will be as good as pre damage and no different to drive and enjoy.

I took the car in on Monday, i was quoted Wednesday/Thursday for it to be ready. I had to call in today just to find out what was happening. I was promised ( by the receptionist)  that i would get call back from someone, but I never did.. What do you think is taking so long ?

I fear that they will just fill out the wing bit that is just on the wheel arch that is metal.. I sepcificailly aske dthem to just replace that part because it was deep.. How am I to tell if they've replaced it or filled it ?

To my previous posts, I think for me , even if it looks the same, the feeling won't be the same.. but that is me..

I'd trust their assessment.  After all, we've only seen pictures.  It may well be just superficial damage - their suggestion it'll take a couple of days suggests it probably is just that.  Ask them for exactly what they've done for your peace of mind.  They'll obviously guarantee their work and it'll be parked there in front of you!  Get back to enjoying it. 

Crashes happen.  I had a drunk ram into my Accord (not in Europe and not the version we have here).  The rear end of the body was saying hello to the back of the rear seat!  Different part of the world, cheap labour, very expensive car - so off they went with the pulling machines and hand denting.  That was more than 5 years ago - still have it, still love it, still cruise at 180km+.  Can't tell it ever happened.

If it were mine id rather that panel wasn't replaced, it's a lot of work and can lead to further problems such as water leaks etc if not 100% perfect. A small dent pull and a small weld on the gash is a much more easy repair and the car is much more factory.