Recommended Posts

Just an update.. I got the car back Friday around 4.30pm.. why do i mention time ? it's significant as it is quite dark outside.

I opted not to sign a satisfaction form as I requested to see the car in a better light , presumably it is for them to send back to my insurance company so tat they can be paid for the job. As of writing I have not signed  and therefore haven't sent the form back to them yet.

They explained to me that they replaced the rear door completely, repaired dents, on front door, wheeklarch portion, and rear bumper, as well as replace rear alloy and replaced tyre. And after having a chat wit the aftersales manager i agreed with his explantion that not replacing the wheel arch bit is better as changing it completely is a bigger risk, and possibly as some say here, may affect the integrity of the car and to not interferring with possible spot welded points etc.. so that point i agree with you guys and what the man at lexus said.

I have been too busy today, but the crux of the matter is  this morning i spotted lots of white paint seeping through inside the fuel fillling flap, lots of white paint specs on the rear glass screen, and the rear alloy seems to have a different shade than the other 3, apparenty it's a new alloy. but I'm not so sure and it looks refurbished and re-painted/sprayed etc... I have shown my brother who came round and he also thinks it looks a different colour.

The question is, am i being too fussy ?  considering it's an insurance job  and they are a lexus dealer after all with their own body shop, they should have the confidence that they would be paid by my  insuranve comany on a complated job to my satisfaction. To be honest i find it very sloppy and the cynic in me is that they left is very late on Friday to hand over the car to me hoping that I won't spot their job done to 95% level... Is Inchcape cutting corners ? Should Lexus not be enforcing strict exacting standards of absolute service in all their dealers ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

as far as i'm aware lexus dont have their own bodyshops they use approved body repair centres

i know lexus chester use roberts refinishing in ellesmere port and for minor repair work lexus liverpool

have a mobile guy that comes in

if your not happy now's the time to let them know and leave it with them to sort out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, mpls said:

Just an update.. I got the car back Friday around 4.30pm.. why do i mention time ? it's significant as it is quite dark outside.

I opted not to sign a satisfaction form as I requested to see the car in a better light , presumably it is for them to send back to my insurance company so tat they can be paid for the job. As of writing I have not signed  and therefore haven't sent the form back to them yet.

They explained to me that they replaced the rear door completely, repaired dents, on front door, wheeklarch portion, and rear bumper, as well as replace rear alloy and replaced tyre. And after having a chat wit the aftersales manager i agreed with his explantion that not replacing the wheel arch bit is better as changing it completely is a bigger risk, and possibly as some say here, may affect the integrity of the car and to not interferring with possible spot welded points etc.. so that point i agree with you guys and what the man at lexus said.

I have been too busy today, but the crux of the matter is  this morning i spotted lots of white paint seeping through inside the fuel fillling flap, lots of white paint specs on the rear glass screen, and the rear alloy seems to have a different shade than the other 3, apparenty it's a new alloy. but I'm not so sure and it looks refurbished and re-painted/sprayed etc... I have shown my brother who came round and he also thinks it looks a different colour.

The question is, am i being too fussy ?  considering it's an insurance job  and they are a lexus dealer after all with their own body shop, they should have the confidence that they would be paid by my  insuranve comany on a complated job to my satisfaction. To be honest i find it very sloppy and the cynic in me is that they left is very late on Friday to hand over the car to me hoping that I won't spot their job done to 95% level... Is Inchcape cutting corners ? Should Lexus not be enforcing strict exacting standards of absolute service in all their dealers ?

 

Paint seepage inside the filler cap is sloppy and is easily repaired by body shop, it should just require flattening. Is it paint spots on the glass or spater from finishing compound? If it's the finishing compound it will wash off with hot soapy water and a sponge, if it's paint then back to body shop for some solvent!

as for the wheel, not so sure, can't help on that one.

it does sound like they were running out of time and hurried it out for the weekend, probably because they were committed to a time frame with car hire cost ect, shouldn't happen but it does.

no you are not being too fussy, too fussy would be insistent that the front door and rear panel were both replaced also, even tho it wasn't the best thing to do. you have compermised and worked with them and you were quite right not to sign the satisfactory form, be satisfied before you do. Goodluck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Shada said:

Paint seepage inside the filler cap is sloppy and is easily repaired by body shop, it should just require flattening. Is it paint spots on the glass or spater from finishing compound? If it's the finishing compound it will wash off with hot soapy water and a sponge, if it's paint then back to body shop for some solvent!

as for the wheel, not so sure, can't help on that one.

it does sound like they were running out of time and hurried it out for the weekend, probably because they were committed to a time frame with car hire cost ect, shouldn't happen but it does.

no you are not being too fussy, too fussy would be insistent that the front door and rear panel were both replaced also, even tho it wasn't the best thing to do. you have compermised and worked with them and you were quite right not to sign the satisfactory form, be satisfied before you do. Goodluck

thanks.

I will check whether it's paint or finishing tomorrow morning, i was just so annoyed today after initial analysis, that I didn't investigate in more detail...plus I had things to do..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 200h said:

as far as i'm aware lexus dont have their own bodyshops they use approved body repair centres

i know lexus chester use roberts refinishing in ellesmere port and for minor repair work lexus liverpool

have a mobile guy that comes in

if your not happy now's the time to let them know and leave it with them to sort out.

 

My Lexus was repaired at Jemca Toyota Bracknell - Jemca are Lexus and Toyota dealers - I went through Lexus Reading 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mpls said:

Just an update.. I got the car back Friday around 4.30pm.. why do i mention time ? it's significant as it is quite dark outside.

I opted not to sign a satisfaction form as I requested to see the car in a better light , presumably it is for them to send back to my insurance company so tat they can be paid for the job. As of writing I have not signed  and therefore haven't sent the form back to them yet.

They explained to me that they replaced the rear door completely, repaired dents, on front door, wheeklarch portion, and rear bumper, as well as replace rear alloy and replaced tyre. And after having a chat wit the aftersales manager i agreed with his explantion that not replacing the wheel arch bit is better as changing it completely is a bigger risk, and possibly as some say here, may affect the integrity of the car and to not interferring with possible spot welded points etc.. so that point i agree with you guys and what the man at lexus said.

I have been too busy today, but the crux of the matter is  this morning i spotted lots of white paint seeping through inside the fuel fillling flap, lots of white paint specs on the rear glass screen, and the rear alloy seems to have a different shade than the other 3, apparenty it's a new alloy. but I'm not so sure and it looks refurbished and re-painted/sprayed etc... I have shown my brother who came round and he also thinks it looks a different colour.

The question is, am i being too fussy ?  considering it's an insurance job  and they are a lexus dealer after all with their own body shop, they should have the confidence that they would be paid by my  insuranve comany on a complated job to my satisfaction. To be honest i find it very sloppy and the cynic in me is that they left is very late on Friday to hand over the car to me hoping that I won't spot their job done to 95% level... Is Inchcape cutting corners ? Should Lexus not be enforcing strict exacting standards of absolute service in all their dealers ?

 

Definitely check it's not polishing compound - with a white car I guess it's would be the same colour. But if not then you are entitled to having the car back as good as before the accident so I would complain. As to the wheel could be aging or slight darkening from brake dust on the original alloys. Can't see any reason that it is anything but a new wheel. Check on who did the repair - I would have thought Inchcape may have their own body shops (may repair all the different brands that they sell). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mpls said:

they are a lexus dealer after all with their own body shop

I doubt that very much.

My previous job meant that I've worked in Toyota, Lexus, BMW, Jaguar, Vauxhall, Ford, Seat, Hyundai and Kia main dealers and more besides, and not a single one of them had, or has, their own body shops. Without exception, they all send body work out. They may have a favourite place, they may have an 'arrangement' with a place or they may just send it to the place that can fit it in first, but they don't have their own body shops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As above just make sure it's not polish splatter from the valeters. 

Have your alloys ever been refurbed?

Take a pic of the new wheel and I'll tell you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inchcape Nottingham have their own bodyshop. It's shared with the Toyota part on the same site

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the general issues with repair work and what the finished repair ends up like is a lot down to the care and preparation before painting/finishing commences. They are unlikely to have an open ended man hour budget but it's almost pointless to skim over things if the job gets rejected. On another vehicle I used to own it cost the bodyshop around 4000 to replace a tailgate as I rejected the finished paintwork. They could not strip back due to the rear window being back in etc do it as ll had to be done again. The work in the first place should have been about 1600. I have no idea who picked up the loss but I doubt it was the insurance company. Dig your heels in, the job is never perfect but should be at least to a standard where its extremely difficult to see if it was repaired in the first place. Overspray is another issue so run your fingers over the paintwork. Check outside and inside the panels. If it feels rough, compare the feeling to the non repaired side. Roughness is generally overspray as the paint goes all over the place. It's easily removed then polished off, it's just time etc, but should be down to them. 

Good luck 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sherra said:

Inchcape Nottingham have their own bodyshop. It's shared with the Toyota part on the same site

Then that is very much the exception that proves the rule  😐

As a BT telephone engineer I've worked in almost every main dealer within 30 miles of where I'm based and never seen a single one with their own body shop before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Then that is very much the exception that proves the rule  😐

As a BT telephone engineer I've worked in almost every main dealer within 30 miles of where I'm based and never seen a single one with their own body shop before.

As per an earlier reply Jemca (Toyota and Lexus) do too as I took my Lexus to their bodyshop in Bracknell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

As per an earlier reply Jemca (Toyota and Lexus) do too as I took my Lexus to their bodyshop in Bracknell. 

Maybe it's a north/south thing then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Herbie said:

Maybe it's a north/south thing then?

Could be - all down to volume of work a dealer will get I suppose 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2018 at 8:38 PM, mpls said:

They explained to me that they replaced the rear door completely

Did they replace the VIN sticker on the lower inner section of the door? Every panel should have a VIN sticker and its absence is a sign of bodywork not being done to Lexus standards. I was told this by a Jemca bodyshop supervisor. (Another Toyota/Lexus dealer that does have its own bodyshop). The sticker is quite expensive - I think I was told it was around £100. So it's an obvious thing to skip if costs are being kept down. But if it's an insurance claim and the work is being done to Lexus standards, the sticker should be there.

If you can't find it, check the inner rims of the other doors to see where it should be, as they're sometimes difficult to spot. The bonnet and boot have them too, as well as the main side body panels.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you get the repair sorted in the end to your satisfaction? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DSC_9864.thumb.JPG.c8d9613e8907777ef90fca435d4a06c4.JPG

Thas all..I've been busy lately.. the cars a little dirty due to weather now,, They sorted it all out in the end. Just  over 5 days..

Paintwise they've done a good job. and the feel of the repair good. The overall experience was actually let down by the extra paint/finisher insde the fuel flap and on the rear screen, but overall a good job..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mpls said:

DSC_9864.thumb.JPG.c8d9613e8907777ef90fca435d4a06c4.JPG

Thas all..I've been busy lately.. the cars a little dirty due to weather now,, They sorted it all out in the end. Just  over 5 days..

Paintwise they've done a good job. and the feel of the repair good. The overall experience was actually let down by the extra paint/finisher insde the fuel flap and on the rear screen, but overall a good job..

 

 

Good to hear you got it sorted. The overspray was sloppy and it shouldn't have left the bodyshop like that but hopefully there were no arguments when you went back! Now it's complete to your satisfaction, put it to the back of your mind and enjoy the car again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now