Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Tyres and Punture on Same Day :(

Hi all so I bought a pair of rear tyres for my IS250, Goodyear.

all was good and happy after leaving the garage, however the next morning one wheel was completely flat.

luckily there was a tyre shop on on Sunday not far from me. So drove the car with one tyre flat to a petrol station say 300 yards. Filled up with air and went to the tyre shop.

there was a massive screw in the centre of the wheel but only penetrated a little as the rubber was fresh.

the guy took the screw out and made a hole. Then put a rubber string and put the tyre back on again...all for £10.

he said that’s perfect now..but I must admit I am gutted. Feel crap knowing my new tyres have a repair.

Now can anyone tell me if the repair done is okay for me or should I go somewhere else to have it done again. I remember many years ago I had a repair by a mobile tyre guy and he put a patch on inside and had a string rubber too.

thanks

6 hours ago, Ishaq said:

Hi all so I bought a pair of rear tyres for my IS250, Goodyear.

all was good and happy after leaving the garage, however the next morning one wheel was completely flat.

luckily there was a tyre shop on on Sunday not far from me. So drove the car with one tyre flat to a petrol station say 300 yards. Filled up with air and went to the tyre shop.

there was a massive screw in the centre of the wheel but only penetrated a little as the rubber was fresh.

the guy took the screw out and made a hole. Then put a rubber string and put the tyre back on again...all for £10.

he said that’s perfect now..but I must admit I am gutted. Feel crap knowing my new tyres have a repair.

Now can anyone tell me if the repair done is okay for me or should I go somewhere else to have it done again. I remember many years ago I had a repair by a mobile tyre guy and he put a patch on inside and had a string rubber too.

thanks

Yes repair will be okey. I had a puncture with a big screw in a new tyre, its a pitter but it was fixed with a patch. They sell them kits on a well known site. you were lucky it was not on

the side wall. Tyre would of been scrapped.

A string type repair is now not legal within the EU. The tyre must be removed, and an internal patch type repair carried out. This is a much more reliable repair method as the internal air pressure in the tyre tends to help the sealing of the patch.

John.

Thanks Guys. 

I thought the same as I was expecting the tyre off and repair, but they did not do that. Makes me nervous knowing the way it was repaired was like 5 minutes quick string in and ready to drive.

Will take the car to ATS, Kwik-Fit or similar.

14 minutes ago, Ishaq said:

Thanks Guys. 

I thought the same as I was expecting the tyre off and repair, but they did not do that. Makes me nervous knowing the way it was repaired was like 5 minutes quick string in and ready to drive.

Will take the car to ATS, Kwik-Fit or similar.

They used to be all repaired this way, after inner tubes were outlawed. The rubber bung wares down with the tyre so should have no problem. 

5 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

Wow, that's exactly what I had about two years ago from a mobile tyre guy - Sadly hes not around anymore.

All puncture repair should be done like this and a fixed price should also apply in my opinion.

I feel your pain. When bought my is, bought four new tyres. Only had them for two months and hit a pothole which sliced my sidewall. New tyre needed. 12 months later got a screw near outer edge, couldn’t repair and because tyres over 12 months decided to buy two new tyres because on same axle. 

Always wondered how do flat lying nails, screws etc get into a round tyre, plenty of theories online, bloody nuisance though.

like yourself hate knowing I’ve got a repaired tyre, want my car 100%. And you can only repair a puncture twice on the same tyre I think, may be wrong.

new tyres cost ££££ hate being nobbled by a penny screw or nail. Maybe councils should drag magnets over the roads to pick them up lol.

fortunately got a space saver spare, how do you manage with the foam kits on most cars?

7 hours ago, Scouselexus said:

Always wondered how do flat lying nails, screws etc get into a round tyre, plenty of theories online, bloody nuisance though.

That will be 'Sod's Law' or the principle " if something can go wrong, it will".

That last piece of toast so lovingly prepared slips from the plate and falls face down on the paving...as you thought you would enjoy breakfast on the patio!!

My wife has a pump and foam kit for her MX5 (very little room in that boot). Mercifully not needed it yet!

Damn have I just invoked a Sods Law moment!!

Perhaps I'll cycle to work today.

• Like 1

There’s a retail park near me that has a Wickes superstore in it, and that car park is an absolute magnet for rogue screws and nails. I always takes the wife’s car there nowadays .....😀

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Pink said:

There’s a retail park near me that has a Wickes superstore in it, and that car park is an absolute magnet for rogue screws and nails. I always takes the wife’s car there nowadays .....😀

Very wise. I had a wickes articulated lorry hit my RX400h in their carpark. Smashed the rear window and bent the tailgate. 

Hi ,that is really bad luck ,I have had it happen but on the Mazda not the lexus .I'm supprised a tyre guy used the emergency method ,they usually like to take the tyre off to check the inside walls as they do not know how long the tyre has been run deflated. Both my cars ,the lexus and the MX5 have the gunk and a compressor ;in my experience it only works for a straight forward hole in the main tread area ,even then most repairers will not wash out the sealer so that a patch can be vulcanised and demand you buy a new tyre.On both cars I carry an emergency kit which is a tool which pushes a rubber plug with a mushroom at 1 end through the hole which will seal on re inflation .I have used these on motorcycles for years and they are fine in an emergency . As a sure fire bet I carry a full size spare in the Lexus when we tour on the continent,this is OK for us as there are only the 2 of us in the car 

Dave

Thanks, I think I will take it to a good reputable place to have it repaired again using the correct British standard method. Hate to think that my new tyres with 8mm of thread has a hole with a string plug in it. 

Gutted 😞

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links