Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

After a 2-3 week holiday Lexus CT200H does not start

MaxSultan

Hello, 

I am a first time owner of Lexus CT200h 2015 in London. After a 2-3 week holiday, i came back to check my car, but the whole car does not even start or open from a smart key. I bought this car second hand about 3 month ago. I have AA Warranty and Lexus service was in this year. Its my first time that happened like that. Please if anybody help me with this issue.

It's well known and almost 'normal' for this to happen with hybrids.

In a hybrid there's the usual 12V Battery and then there's the traction (hybrid) Battery of about 288V.

In a standard car the 12V Battery is usually quite big and beefy because it has to supply about 300A or more to the starter motor to crank the engine, but in a hybrid there is no starter motor as such. All the 12V Battery does is to power up the entry/exit systems and the computers needed to bring the car to the READY state. Once the car is in the READY state, all the starter motor and alternator duties are performed by the traction Battery.

You'll see from the photo below that my 12V Battery in my RX450h is providing a current of just 15.32A to bring the car to READY, which is a hell of a lot lower than the 300A or more required for a traditional starter motor. Because of this the 12V Battery doesn't have to be big or beefy and is, in fact, quite small, which in turn means that it doesn't hold its charge for anywhere near as long as a bigger one if not used on a regular basis.

I would suggest buying one of these or something similar to keep in the glove box or boot just in case it happens again (or to be a good Samaritan if anyone else's Battery is flat). Although I've never needed to use mine yet I've had it in the car for about a year now and its still got 75% charge.

clamp.thumb.jpg.9ef6ec694fb97b83d020a41d34887446.jpg

• Like 1

Can one switch off the car side of the keyless entry system?

I know one can disable the fob from transmitting the access signal but the car will still scan for it.

From my handbook - 

Battery-saving function
The battery-saving function will be activated in order to prevent the electronic key Battery
and the 12-volt Battery from being discharged while the vehicle is not in operation
for a long time.
● In the following situations, the smart entry & start system may take some time to unlock
the doors.
• The electronic key has been left within approximately 2 m (6 ft.) of the outside of the
vehicle for 10 minutes or longer.
• The smart entry & start system has not been used for 5 days or longer.
● If the smart entry & start system has not been used for 14 days or longer, the doors cannot
be unlocked at the passenger door. In this case, hold the driver’s door handle, or use
the wireless remote control or mechanical key, to unlock the doors.

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Can one switch off the car side of the keyless entry system?

My 2014 didn’t have the option but there is an option the the menu on my 2018. Handy when parking in an area more prone to keyless entry and start thefts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you have the option of secure parking for your car? e.g. garage

Speak to your Lexus dealer about removing the fuse that is removed for shipping of the car. I work away for over 90 days and have my car in a secure location. Removing the fuse disarms the alarm system, central locking etc, but allows you to come back, replace the fuse and start your car straight away

• Like 1