Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New LS 400 Member Derbyshire

Hello all, Just collected a top condition LS 400 1998 80000, FSH and only 2 owners last one for 12 years. Why are these epic cars not more widly appreciated as a appreciating classic. Is it the Brit disease of badge not quality snobbery. Do I need to get the capacitors sorted in the ECU please, no current issues but is it a vital upgrade and the potential cost ?

Cheers,

WM

Hi Simon.

Welcome to the LOC.

A few pictures of the car wouldn't go amiss :wink:

Yes, badge and place of origin certainly plays a part. The European competition can be lovely but I think if you pretty much want to guarantee to get where you're going then Japanese is where it's at.

10 hours ago, Wisemonkey said:

Do I need to get the capacitors sorted in the ECU

can't imagine why tbh ..........  that's never shown up as a potential problem to my knowledge 

Just be certain the cambelt, pulleys etc have been done by now .....  and maybe the waterpump too  ( often at 10 years and/or 100k miles ) .  it's a long long job and essential at some time

maybe your car has had careful thoughtful owners and there's a really good service history too ??

could last you forever if well looked after.  Good to find one that's a " keeper " ............... assuming it is :wink:

Malc

Cheers Chaps, it is a keeper, just needs a few odds and sods of smart repairs doing to the paintwork and she will be showroom condition. I am having her Dinitrol treated. IMHO best anti corrosion treatment available. Stops it dead and prevents it long term.

Still not sure on the ECU issue, as we all know do not beleive everything on forums but both on this forum and on the USA major missives on the ECU capacitor issues ?

quite interested in this, never seen it on this forum regarding the Mk4 Ls400

The older Mk3 has some issues and was seemingly a recall in the USA for the ECU but sadly not here in the UK

Malc

Well done great purchase, great car, I bought mine (1998) in 2003 as a one year 'experiment' - fast forward 15 years and it is still going strong and drives beautifully, sounds like you have a keeper so make sure you keep her!