Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New tyres fitted

Some of you guys must have a really heavy right foot, original Yokohama Blue Earth on our IS still have 3mm on the back and 4mm front after 24K and 4 years, I recon we might not need to change them in our ownership!

Even the Michelin Latitude Sport 3s on our 2.5 ton, sub 5 second 0-60 Tesla still have 3mm left after 21k. 

1 hour ago, ganzoom said:

Some of you guys must have a really heavy right foot, original Yokohama Blue Earth on our IS still have 3mm on the back and 4mm front after 24K and 4 years, I recon we might not need to change them in our ownership!

Even the Michelin Latitude Sport 3s on our 2.5 ton, sub 5 second 0-60 Tesla still have 3mm left after 21k. 

Same tyres as you on my car and mine were changed at 30k miles for rears first time and 40k miles front first time then rears for second time at 60k miles and now done 73k miles so will expect to be doing fronts again at 80k miles - they really do last a lot of miles. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J Henderson said:

Anyone considering Goodyear tyres, note that Asymmetric 5 is now available in IS-friendly sizes, and supposed to be even better.

Interesting, just had a look.

Sadly I see they have a fuel efficiency rating of E (versus C on the 3's) and a sound noise rating of 71 (versus a 68 on the 3's)

On paper, they are a step backwards. The 5s may not be as quiet as the 3s.

25 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

Same tyres as you on my car and mine were changed at 30k miles for rears first time and 40k miles front first time then rears for second time at 60k miles and now done 73k miles so will expect to be doing fronts again at 80k miles - they really do last a lot of miles. 

Never had Yokohama's before but am really impressed by them. Looking at the cost they aren't even expensive, £80 per tyre, compared to £200 per tyre on the other car. 

Their grip levels are also fine for something like the IS though on wet/cold day you can light up the TC system, and over the bits of snow we had over the last few winters I struggled to get them to loss grip - though that's partly down to the nature of the power delivery on the IS. 

If we do end up needing to replace the tyres on the IS we'll be going for them again. 

4 minutes ago, ganzoom said:

Never had Yokohama's before but am really impressed by them. Looking at the cost they aren't even expensive, £80 per tyre, compared to £200 per tyre on the other car. 

Their grip levels are also fine for something like the IS though on wet/cold day you can light up the TC system, and over the bits of snow we had over the last few winters I struggled to get them to loss grip - though that's partly down to the nature of the power delivery on the IS. 

If we do end up needing to replace the tyres on the IS we'll be going for them again. 

Like you I have been happy with their performance and in particular the mileage they have achieved (I did have Yokohama on a Honda as OEM a few years back and found them OK then too but hard to source so switched to Michelin that car) - when I enquired as to the cost of replacing them on the Lexus I was pleasantly surprised on the price so decided to stick with them. Only time I had any problems was in the snow but to be fair it would probably have been similar with any summer orientated tyre. 

• 5 months later...
23 hours ago, matt8 said:

How are these tyres doing nearly a year on @rayaans?

Still good amount of tread left?

About to buy some I think.

Just had a service recently on the IS albeit its a very low mileage car as my wife uses it in town only. 

Still has 7.4mm left after 2k miles so theoretically could get 21k miles a set with her driving. The town driving kills off the tyres much quicker IMO. The OEM bridgestones only lasted 15k

Ive heard extremely good reviews on the Yokohama Advan Fleva though and they're rated very well

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

I swapped out the original Bridgestones RFT for regular Yokohama. There's a noticeable reduction in road noise - both loudness and pitch - though I must admit the white noise is still present. 

Just an update. Tyres are doing well but I caught a pothole and it cut the sidewall on the driver's side. Luckily no damage to the wheel but as it was close to home got the car in the drive and it was hissing. A day later and had to get Kwik fit mobile tyre through to fit an asymmetric 5

No difference between the 5 and the 3 as far as I can tell tbh 

• 2 weeks later...

I just fitted two new asymmetric 5s on the rear (R17/225). The improved grip compared to the Blu Earths they replaced is significant, as is the comfort. Sounds daft but I’m struggling to tell if they are quieter though. I usually have music on. But done the last 100 miles without music and got a feeling they may cause a very slight road noise, but could just be listening out for it now ! I’m pretty sure they’re also slightly dragging the mpg down, but the improved comfort is worth it for me. 

• 2 months later...

With one eye on autumn and winter,  I've had a set of goodyear vector 4 seasons tyres fitted so after 18 years of front wheel drive the transition to rear wheel drive will be manageable. 😀👍

22 hours ago, Johnhodgo said:

With one eye on autumn and winter,  I've had a set of goodyear vector 4 seasons tyres fitted so after 18 years of front wheel drive the transition to rear wheel drive will be manageable. 😀👍

Just about to fit the same on mine - cheap as chips at the moment at Costco - how are you finding them?

Currently running goodyear efficient grip and have had 28K out of them, but the rears are down to 2mm now 

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting views in here re tyres. I’d much rather have soft grippy tyres than hard slippy tyres. I’m always happy to trade grip, comfort and higher wear rates for low grip uncomfortable tyres that last forever. Goodyears and Michelins are about the best you can buy, agreed.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My is300h came with 2 Yokohamas on the front and 2 nexens at the back. The tyre niose was considerable, so given the approach of winter, i had 4 Goodyear vector 4 all-season tyres fitted. They are so much quieter, and hopefully will cope with this winter's weather. £420 all-in, plus £60 for 4 wheel alignment. A good price ( i think), and very happy with the service at National Tyres in Mansfield.