Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

There is usually so little to read on this forum, it could reasonably be described as pretty boring. I can go on Jaguar and BMW forums etc and read about all sorts of problems with engines, gearboxes, suspension problems, starting problems, creaking, rattling trim, electrical issues, not to mention the countless diesel related problems. I recognise that there are far fewer LS cars on the road than BMWs and Jags but perhaps, sometimes, it's good to be boring? (I hope I'm not tempting fate, the only issues I currently have on my 400 are the windscreen washer light on, I can't be bothered to fix it, and a new cable needed for my heater temperature control, which may be a major job and not worth resolving.

Perhaps the final test before buying a new car, is to gravitate towards those with the quietest forums?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, harrylime said:

Perhaps the final test before buying a new car, is to gravitate towards those with the quietest forums?

I don't think ours are boring at all  They just rarely have major issues but when they do they are quite exciting :rolleyes:

............. and excitement is in the eyes and the mind of the beholder ...............:whistling:

Malc

• Like 1

A phrase which I heard somewhere also applies to our cars “quietly Brilliant “

i also agree with malc. - I’m trying to distinguish the check vsc light on mine without luck so interesting problem which doesn’t effect the car in anyway apart from refusal of mot certificate!

• Like 1

Wow that’s a red rag😂

I have a long and current history  with Jaguar and Alfa. I didn’t expect to be with a Lexus for long but I saw the light.

I find the forum responsive, very polite and open to debate and incredibly supportive. I’ve been talked through a couple of stuck points on a cambelt change.

Sorry to my US friends but US forums are full of know it alls, the need to redesign stuff, thread hi-jacking is a complete nightmare....all marques.

what more can I say?🧐

• Like 1

Whilst I agree with you Malc - the LS400 is brilliant - the OP was referring to the LS Forum, which is the LS 400/LS 430/LS 460/LS 600/LS 500 Club.

Once again...…..just saying 😊

• Like 1

For reason I won't go into, I went to the (VW) T-Roc forum the other day. Bearing in mind the T-Roc has been out for only about four months, there are probably 100 threads already cataloguing loads of faults, including clutch failures.

Long live Boring Forums! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

My wife's brother in law is a 'Jaguar man' and passes his Jaguar club magazine on to me when he is finished. As a Jaguar sympathiser, I always look for a good read, but I am truly shocked at what owners say.....new wishbones, not too bad at £450 a side......new rear suspension bushes only £400 as if it is 'normal'. The most scary aspect is corrosion. My daughter has a 12 year old FIAT Panda with no corrosion. Yes, a FIAT. Yet, a £50,000 Jaguar F type (the E-Type replacement ) has a string of corrosion issues, such that members are screaming for Jaguar to act. They do not.

Corrosion was solved by the bad boys of Lancia, Vauxhall, and Fiat in the late 1990's. That Jaguar still has an issue is really worrying.

We however, just waft along quietly in quiet snobbery ......and why not?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve had more problems with Lexus than any Jaguar or Mercedes I’ve had (I’ve never owned a BMW). Even Ford, Vauxhall and Rover have given me fewer problems over the years than the Lexus cars I’ve had. 

I’ve had more problems with Lexus than any Jaguar or Mercedes I’ve had (I’ve never owned a BMW). Even Ford, Vauxhall and Rover have given me fewer problems over the years than the Lexus cars I’ve had. 
I think you have been very unlucky. The overwhelming testament and experience of most owners here, from my observations over the last few years, is the exact opposite.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

• Like 2

13 hours ago, gdh300 said:

Long live Boring Forums! 

Ha ha. Agreed. I'm with you and the OP.

59 minutes ago, jpjsavage said:

I think you have been very unlucky. The overwhelming testament and experience of most owners here, from my observations over the last few years, is the exact opposite.

I'd agree with that too. You get a feel for a forum and how the cars are performing and this one is especially quiet re: problems and faults that are a result of poor manufacturing. I'd say one that I read most about is Lexus and their foray into diesels with the IS 220d and IS 200d. But that's just an impression.

Over on the Saab forum someone mentioned Lexus and their well publicised hybrid problems. Even the Saab owners gave a collective "Eh?" to that one.

For boring I read 'less troublesome' and in my world troubles = £££'s so long live (Technical) bordom !

Someone mentioned the other day about buying a Lexus and the fact that it never came with a folder full of reciepts for previous maintaince & repairs, until it was pointed out that it was'nt probably missing just that the car ain't had to have any work (other than regular servicing in the history book) done! says it all really.

Paul M.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tinonline said:

Wow that’s a red rag😂

I have a long and current history  with Jaguar and Alfa. I didn’t expect to be with a Lexus for long but I saw the light.

I find the forum responsive, very polite and open to debate and incredibly supportive. I’ve been talked through a couple of stuck points on a cambelt change.

Sorry to my US friends but US forums are full of know it alls, the need to redesign stuff, thread hi-jacking is a complete nightmare....all marques.

what more can I say?🧐

I agree, I'm not commenting on the content or tone of the forum, but the lack of traffic, which says much about these cars, I think

11 hours ago, MLW said:

My wife's brother in law is a 'Jaguar man' and passes his Jaguar club magazine on to me when he is finished. As a Jaguar sympathiser, I always look for a good read, but I am truly shocked at what owners say.....new wishbones, not too bad at £450 a side......new rear suspension bushes only £400 as if it is 'normal'. The most scary aspect is corrosion. My daughter has a 12 year old FIAT Panda with no corrosion. Yes, a FIAT. Yet, a £50,000 Jaguar F type (the E-Type replacement ) has a string of corrosion issues, such that members are screaming for Jaguar to act. They do not.

Corrosion was solved by the bad boys of Lancia, Vauxhall, and Fiat in the late 1990's. That Jaguar still has an issue is really worrying.

We however, just waft along quietly in quiet snobbery ......and why not?

This was part of the reason for my post, I am a also a Jag man through and through and have a mk 2 in my garage awaiting a full restoration. I would love an x350, last of the proper Jags in my opinion, but can't (yet) reconcile myself to the prospect of more problems than I'm likely to encounter with my LS 400. The corrosion problems on some  of the newer models are shocking, as is the response by Jaguar, and are a further deterrent. 

9 hours ago, mrdoofa said:

What problems have you had ? 

11 hours ago, mrdoofa said:

Do have to agree that I've never spent so many sleepless nights as I have with this Lexus.  Merc Models up to 1996 didn't give too much trouble other than the occasional electrical glitch. They were cheaper to maintain. Wouldn't get a later one, however. 

Buying blind you could say, well what do you expect, but I'd probably stil have bought the Car as it looked so nice.  Now I've spent a lot to get it to the state I like it, the costs seem much less annually.

15 hours ago, MLW said:

Jaguar ... The most scary aspect is corrosion.

Totally agree, my wifes Jag is only 13 years old but has more corrosion than you care to know about.  She managed to get the welding done really cheap (by chap who welds trucks) and he said, in another 2 to 3 years be prepared to scrap the motor.   On looking Jag forum I have decided she is not having a another Jag.  Maybe back to Honda for her, though she was tempted by a GS300 a while ago.

On Kens comment, I have never owned a Merc, but my mates who do have deep pockets, and all the other marques mentioned I would have said Vauxhall was better than the rest, but not anything like as reliable as Lexus.  Appreciate LS versus your average Vauxhall, at a price level is not fair, but know of two VW Phaeton Owners who have deep pockets and car in garage more often than not.

This forum is like a gentlemans club, it's quite, all its members are gentlemen and we we all know our cars are rock solid (maybe like 67 Pall Mall), and so we can just get on with reading the Times and smoking our pipes (or in my case, the gardening, DIY projects and listening to vinyl records - when my teenage lad is not hogging the best stereo in the house).

Edited by Cotswold Pete
changed name of club
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, mrdoofa said:

Please tell us more.

1 hour ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Totally agree, my wifes Jag is only 13 years old but has more corrosion than you care to know about.  She managed to get the welding done really cheap (by chap who welds trucks) and he said, in another 2 to 3 years be prepared to scrap the motor.   On looking Jag forum I have decided she is not having a another Jag.  Maybe back to Honda for her, though she was tempted by a GS300 a while ago.

On Kens comment, I have never owned a Merc, but my mates who do have deep pockets, and all the other marques mentioned I would have said Vauxhall was better than the rest, but not anything like as reliable as Lexus.  Appreciate LS versus your average Vauxhall, at a price level is not fair, but know of two VW Phaeton Owners who have deep pockets and car in garage more often than not.

This forum is like a gentlemans club, it's quite, all its members are gentlemen and we we all know our cars are rock solid (maybe like 67 Pall Mall), and so we can just get on with reading the Times and smoking our pipes (or in my case, the gardening, DIY projects and listening to vinyl records - when my teenage lad is not hogging the best stereo in the house).

I was thinking of a 2006 Jag XJ (the aluminium body x350) which I think have come a long way for reliability plus there's so many places to get new parts from which is a bonus & even had the ridiculous idea of a Pheaton TDI but not won the lottery yet to repair it, but I have had 6 mercs with no issues to speak of, but want my next car to be an LS 430 & can't wait to get one    

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, kenmac said:

but want my next car to be an LS 430 & can't wait to get one    

just research the proposed Ls430 you're likely to get  :whistling: ...........  you do know there are a few tell tale signs to beware of when looking for your one eh !

....... there's nowt quite like a good Mk3  Ls400 you know  :biggrin:

Malc

• Thanks 1