Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1 hour ago, kenmac said:

I was thinking of a 2006 Jag XJ (the aluminium body x350) which I think have come a long way for reliability plus there's so many places to get new parts from which is a bonus & even had the ridiculous idea of a Pheaton TDI but not won the lottery yet to repair it, but I have had 6 mercs with no issues to speak of, but want my next car to be an LS 430 & can't wait to get one    

To avoid me keep coveting this one, its got a very good MOT record. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-Lexus-LS-430-430-4-3-4dr/362486052572?hash=item5465da36dc:g:oJQAAOSwU1Nb6sSL:rk:7:pf:0

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Really like that, unfortunately can't afford one till next year 😥 

1 hour ago, kenmac said:

I was thinking of a 2006 Jag XJ (the aluminium body x350) which I think have come a long way for reliability plus there's so many places to get new parts from which is a bonus & even had the ridiculous idea of a Pheaton TDI but not won the lottery yet to repair it, but I have had 6 mercs with no issues to speak of, but want my next car to be an LS 430 & can't wait to get one    

If you get an LS430 you'll find it hard to have anything else.  I've had three LS400's and as great as they are, the 430 in my opinion is so much better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Malc said:

just research the proposed Ls430 you're likely to get  :whistling: ...........  you do know there are a few tell tale signs to beware of when looking for your one eh !

Malc

What are they then Malc ??

I got rid of my 4.2 XKR with its notorious and shocking ZF gearbox same unit that plagued Range Rovers and BMWs. Build quality was poor and the coil packs went, rear shocks with 50k on the clock. 

Wife’s 4ltr S type is awful to work on with corroded a/c pipe and very difficult to cure cam cover gaskets that are a major pain job. Split header tank 2nd in 70k history and replacement thermostat housing with improved aftermarket unit, two water pumps and front and rear suspension work. This has a Ford gearbox and it needs a solenoid...can’t go on. Oh yeh and coil packs...

Lexus 400: cambelt, water pump pulleys, front discs and pads, I’ve got ball joints and need lower bar bushes. 

1 hour ago, Tinonline said:

I got rid of my 4.2 XKR with its notorious and shocking ZF gearbox same unit that plagued Range Rovers and BMWs. Build quality was poor and the coil packs went, rear shocks with 50k on the clock. 

Wife’s 4ltr S type is awful to work on with corroded a/c pipe and very difficult to cure cam cover gaskets that are a major pain job. Split header tank 2nd in 70k history and replacement thermostat housing with improved aftermarket unit, two water pumps and front and rear suspension work. This has a Ford gearbox and it needs a solenoid...can’t go on. Oh yeh and coil packs...

Lexus 400: cambelt, water pump pulleys, front discs and pads, I’ve got ball joints and need lower bar bushes. 

Well said Simon !

If only we has Politicians who said it as it was !!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve said:

what i thought was a negative turned in to a positive LOL

No offence to your fine work, Steve! 

I hang round here even though I'm Lexusless currently, as it's a good crowd and very informative; always learning something.

TBH, I'd rather the calm here than worriedly scrolling through thirteen pages of "1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo"... 😁

14 hours ago, kenmac said:

What are they then Malc ??

one would want to change the original radiator to prevent the gearbox terminating the car's life is the main issue now with the Ls430

take care with the air suspension being absolutely fine and steering column motors not being kaput

delamination of the double glazing and maybe a prior owner has had some rust door / boot lid sorted under warranty ( 12 years )

and I'm thinking there are a few others like headlamp adjustment rust  issues etc too   BUT others on here have a better handle on all this . I've never had a Ls430

you should try to find a good one  and enjoy, capable of stellar miles too ......  just like your old Mk3  :yahoo:

Await the further advices from good and Ls430 knowledgeable members on here ...................... :wink:

Malc

• Thanks 1

On 11/21/2018 at 12:56 PM, harrylime said:

Perhaps the final test before buying a new car, is to gravitate towards those with the quietest forums?

I’ll take boring forums like LOC any day, good to know they don’t really go wrong, but I expected that and got it.

Always fancied a Jag, but I think I will give it a big miss until either BMW or Toyota take over the brand name

On 11/22/2018 at 11:34 AM, kenmac said:

What problems have you had ? 

2001 GS430, Heater stopped working, exhaust fell off, various creaks from dashboard and roof lining.

2002 LS430, Transmission completely failed without warning resulted in car being scrapped, blown speakers, electric mirrors stopped working, heated and cooled seats not working, rear climate pipes rusted.

2006 GS450H, Hybrid Battery failed, various creaks and rattles, brake callipers seized

2006 GS450H, Shock absorbers failed, radiator failed, TPMS issues, creaks from dashboard, Xenon headlight issues, juddering brakes.

These are the main issues I’ve had, there are various other minor issues and niggles I haven’t listed.

The worst was the transmission on the LS430 and the hybrid Battery on the GS450H, both of which failed without warning and left me completely stranded with repair bills costing £thousands. Many other problems are what you might call minor but from a prestige manufacturer that prides itself on build quality and reliability is unacceptable. May be I’ve been exceptionally unlucky but it certainly puts you off, especially when the repair bills for Lexus are so high. I’ve owned jags and mercs with no issues, I currently own a mk3 Mondeo 2.5 V6 Ghia X which I’m really happy with and has made me realise that in my experience Lexus are overrated. At least if something does go wrong with the mondeo I won’t have to remortgage the house to fix it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, mrdoofa said:

2001 GS430, Heater stopped working, exhaust fell off, various creaks from dashboard and roof lining.

2002 LS430, Transmission completely failed without warning resulted in car being scrapped, blown speakers, electric mirrors stopped working, heated and cooled seats not working, rear climate pipes rusted.

2006 GS450H, Hybrid battery failed, various creaks and rattles, brake callipers seized

2006 GS450H, Shock absorbers failed, radiator failed, TPMS issues, creaks from dashboard, xenon headlight issues, juddering brakes.

These are the main issues I’ve had, there are various other minor issues and niggles I haven’t listed.

The worst was the transmission on the LS430 and the hybrid battery on the GS450H, both of which failed without warning and left me completely stranded with repair bills costing £thousands. Many other problems are what you might call minor but from a prestige manufacturer that prides itself on build quality and reliability is unacceptable. May be I’ve been exceptionally unlucky but it certainly puts you off, especially when the repair bills for Lexus are so high. I’ve owned jags and mercs with no issues, I currently own a mk3 Mondeo 2.5 V6 Ghia X which I’m really happy with and has made me realise that in my experience Lexus are overrated. At least if something does go wrong with the mondeo I won’t have to remortgage the house to fix it.

Blimey that is a surprise & I'm the same as you, I've never had any issues with any of my Merc's.   

13 hours ago, mrdoofa said:

2006 GS450H, Hybrid battery failed, various creaks and rattles, brake callipers seized

2006 GS450H, Shock absorbers failed, radiator failed, TPMS issues, creaks from dashboard, xenon headlight issues, juddering brakes.

The worst was the transmission on the LS430 and the hybrid battery on the GS450H, both of which failed without warning and left me completely stranded with repair bills costing £thousands. Many other problems are what you might call minor but from a prestige manufacturer that prides itself on build quality and reliability is unacceptable. May be I’ve been exceptionally unlucky but it certainly puts you off, especially when the repair bills for Lexus are so high. I’ve owned jags and mercs with no issues, I currently own a mk3 Mondeo 2.5 V6 Ghia X which I’m really happy with and has made me realise that in my experience Lexus are overrated. At least if something does go wrong with the mondeo I won’t have to remortgage the house to fix it.

The thing is Martin, had you kept the LS430 I sold you your experience may have been very different.  I think you've just been really unlucky, although the creaking and rattles from the GS are very annoying as I discovered. That said, I think the Mondeo is a pretty good car so I'm glad you're happy with it.

On 11/22/2018 at 1:40 AM, mrdoofa said:

I’ve had more problems with Lexus than any Jaguar or Mercedes I’ve had (I’ve never owned a BMW). Even Ford, Vauxhall and Rover have given me fewer problems over the years than the Lexus cars I’ve had. 

were these problems due to prior owner neglect or as they say in the trdae owned by a "weekend millionare" , who dont look after them right !!!

nearly ever car designed after 2005 is built with a price in mind and not a standard as they were prior ot 2005 

i had been a honda owner for some 25+ yrs ( lexus wernt about  then ) having virtually ever model they produced prelude x4 crx x2 accord accord type r accord aerodeck  nsx na1  s2000 x2   jordan civic,  logo  etc and the build quaility was second to non  so in 2007 i bought my wife a civic gt 2.2 diesel  and was utterly discgusted in the quaility  "lada esque " door handles  sat nav that pack in ! knocking from front , gearbox was shocking ...i then went to lexus (pre owned )  and havent looked back wife has a 250 se-l  and im going to buy another gs300 sport ..

what people dont realise is we all drive around in cars 5-8-10-12-15 yrs old and expect them to be just as they rolled off the line . ...

ive tried the bmw -merc -wouldnt go no where near a vw - stuff and nothing compares to  LEXUS .....

just my pennies worth .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Malc said:

but maybe just concentrate on the suggested Ls430  ?

Malc

I'm going to keep my option open as to whether I go for an LS400 MK3, MK4 or a 430 as I just want the best example I can get Malc 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kenmac said:

I'm going to keep my option open as to whether I go for an LS400 MK3, MK4 or a 430 as I just want the best example I can get Malc 

Why not do what I did and go for a Japanese import? The mileage is usually much lower and the cars are strictly maintained.  In fact it's made me look more at the import thing and now I really fancy a Nissan Elgrand! Maybe something for the future.

I had a notion for an Elgrand too, but never followed it up. I had a look at one last week that was in for an mot at my friend's garage and whilst not the best example, seemed pretty good. However, i'm not sure if my wife would drive it as they are quite van like.

Regarding Lexus reliability, the only every day cars I've had that come close was a Merc 190E (last of decent mercs) and my trusty Rover p6B. 

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, plastic orange said:

I had a notion for an Elgrand too, but never followed it up. I had a look at one last week that was in for an mot at my friend's garage and whilst not the best example, seemed pretty good. However, i'm not sure if my wife would drive it as they are quite van like.

Regarding Lexus reliability, the only every day cars I've had that come close was a Merc 190E (last of decent mercs) and my trusty Rover p6B. 

Pete

Granted they are like vans but once inside it's a different story.  I think something like this is excellent value.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRESH-IMPORT-2006-06-PLATE-FACE-LIFT-NISSAN-ELGRAND-RIDER-AUTEC-ONLY-29000-MILES/273559834502?hash=item3fb16fcf86:g:3I4AAOSw4gxbM229:rk:19:pf:0

I bought an LS460 a few weeks ago for motorway munching which stands me at £3k in repairs already.

The control arms needed doing which is common wear and tear so I had those done initially, but then a few weeks later while the car was in for a full service the front radar sensor failed so it resulted in needing a new radar sensor and Lexus badge which has now been done. I'll never know why it failed so suddenly, from reading forums they tend to play up in bad weather first more and more before going but this went from perfect operation to being unable to drive more than 100 metres without the car dinging and logging errors. 

For reference it was a C1646 error in the IPA / Parking Assist Monitor ECU saying Power Steering Control System invalid. It took the dealer a lot of work to identify the exact root cause as the radar module but it's now done 200 miles since I got it without any more drama (touch wood).

TPMS was throwing an error which turned out to be a missing spare so I bought another and used SDR to work out the new code and then used Carista to program it in - very useful indeed and worth having one in the car for emergencies. 

I've bought diagnostics as well for the car and Techstream is good - certainly better than anything available when I had the IS200 or Aristo. 

The cheap MiniVCI cable I had with firmware 1.4.1 and TS10 wasn't great - the VCX Nano WiFi or SPX OTC VIM Work much better with full functionality in the latest Techstream from lexus-tech.eu.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, aido said:

I bought an LS460 a few weeks ago for motorway munching which stands me at £3k in repairs already.

sounds like you've had a bit of a challenging time of it all :Jumpy:

Do tell more about your ' new ' car , piccys,  miles, costs etc

Malc

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2018 at 8:58 PM, kenmac said:

Blimey that is a surprise & I'm the same as you, I've never had any issues with any of my Merc's.   

Out of 4 mercs two gave me a serious amount of headaches and issues ranging for rust, failing suspension springs, more rust, lots of engine warning lights, manifold issues etc. My Rav4 which I inherited has given me no hassle nor has my Lexus. 

• Like 1