Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

VLand Headlights - Before we take the plunge......

So a few days I rewired the Vland lamps and got the DRLs to function as sidelights because I didn't want to lose this function by connecting to the FR tails fuse which just happened to be permanent live regardless if , plus this way it will pass an mot.

The  IS220d fuse box is configured totally different to the x50's so following the Vland fuse box guide may or may not work, it certainly didn't in my case.

So just wired it directly to the main headlight harness via the blue & white wire, there's no break in continuity so I can always revert back to the OEM headlights if needed. 

Have you got your cars manual? You just need to find an ignition live fuse under the bonnet.

I have not got the VLANDs but from what I have seen, they just need a feed from an ignition live to power the DRLs when the car is turned on. The switchback for indicators etc should be built into the harness that comes with the headlights no?

Perhaps it’s more complicated?

@Billnick Yes I have a couple of user manuals for the car.

Unfortunately the wiring diagrams are different to what Vland supply with the units unless you have an IS250, so not quite plug and play for the IS220D though not really difficult.

I had originally connected via an ignition fuse but you  lose sidelight functionality, not good come mot time.

Maybe I have missed something but everything functions as normal via the headlight stalk so no big deal.

The switchbacks work as they should and the sequential indicators are a very nice touch.

Forgot to add a few extra shots.

While these lights dont appear overly bright in direct sunlight they are extremely bright when compared to my old oem units.

Sorry about the weird angled images.

20190825_230941.jpg

20190829_093804.jpg

20190829_093635.jpg

20190829_093523.jpg

20190828_122535.jpg

• Like 1

The sidelights are the led ticks at the bottom, the two inner leds are low beam, the outer LED is high beam.

This images does not show up light output very well as it was close to 30° in bright sunlight the day I took this, but they are extremely bright though the ticks could be abit brighter imo. 

20190824_162958.jpg

Looks good. 

So do you have to turn on the side lights via  the stalk to get the DRL ticks to come on?

Do the DRLs dim when low beam lights come on ? 

I'd have thought the DRL has a dimmer and switchback module built into the headlight/harness?

How many connections does the instructions from VLAND tell you to make from the car?

Could you post a pic of them maybe?

Ok so that must be the feed for the ignition live to turn on the DRLs when you start the car. Can you not find a 10a fuse under your bonnet entitled "IGN2" or alike? The lid of the fuse box has a map on the inside of it.

Am I correct that the only other connector is the multiplug that plugs into the cars loom same as the OEM headlights do?

If so, then all of the tech that dims the DRLs and turns them into indicators must be built into the internal wiring/harness of the VLAND headlight.

I suspect the VLAND headlights might be faulty OR the way they have rearranged the pins in the multiplug must be incorrect for a 220d vs a 250 - which I find hard to believe as a headlight is a headlight regardless of which engine you have. I wouldn't have thought the loom for headlights would be different between the two cars (220d vs 250).

I would try finding a 10a ignition live first. Then if that doesn't work, get in touch with VLAND directly (not your supplier).

Sorry if you know all this, but trying to help in case you don't....

• Thanks 1

No problem at all appreciate the advice. 

First thing I did was connect to ignition but the DRLs stayed on permanently with no dimming when low beams were on. 

You're right in thinking that the headlights should be configured the same regardless which model IS2 you have, but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

• 1 month later...

Its not you or the 220d...its the VLAND units!

I took the plunge and had the same outcome for my 250. Not got round to fitting them on the F yet (more on that soon!) 

Issue is that turning the sidelights on, only appears to turn on your rear lights, and this is the setting from the factory. hacking the wiring appears to be the only way to resolve it. 

• 1 year later...

So long since I've posted here but, finally had my first MOT since owning this IS220D and installing the Vland fronts|rear leds, due to the Covid-19 extension on mot renewal dates.

National Tyres test centre passed the car with no issues regarding the Vland current configuration and only had an advisory for one front tyre wearing on outer shoulder.

Currently the Vland DRL's are connected to the cars sidelight wiring along with the rears, so the only thing I want to address now is how to turn the rears off independently to the fronts.

Maybe a kill switch needs to be connected for the rear lamps.

• 1 year later...

I’ve got a 2010 is220d and have just found out the fuse box is different to the is250 like I’m missing the 10amp ignition fuse that it says I should remove and fit acc wiring harness they provide in the vland headlights. Any chance you could send a picture off where you spliced into the sidelights so I can get an idea of I need to do it would help me a lot thank you 

• 5 months later...

Sorry to revive a very old thread, but thought it may be worth people knowing. Fitted VLAND headlights and the HCMotion tail lights to my vehicle last year and its now gone for its first MOT with these on and it seems to have flown on by without issue. I have actually adjusted these ever so slightly higher than the OEM Lexus HID Headlights (compared against my mums IS250C with auto levelling) and it seems to have gone through fine. No modifications have been made to the VLANDS, they've been wired in as you'd expect them to be as the instructions dictate.  

While the VLANDS may technically fail due to the DRL not dimming, if you take your car to a decent garage who take a pragmatic approach to MOT's you shouldn't have an issue really getting these through. 

• Like 1