Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New NX Proposed purchase.

Hi everyone, thinking of leasing a brand new NX300h F Sport, but have read some mixed reviews on the car, i have test driven the car and i do like it, but some reviews are excellent, some not so good, so what i'm really after is an honest opinion on the car from an existing owner, before i commit and order the car.  Thanks!!   

I would say, go with your own impressions and opinions from forum members rather that “professional” reviewers who have a couple of hours with the cars and look for something that will grab readers attention. Had an NX LUX for a couple of years but blackmailed the wife to get an RX. : ).

• Like 1

I test drove one before buying my IS, wife loved it, but I didn’t think the mg was that great, so we test drove a Red IS and again my wife loved that but not the colour, so we got what she wanted, an oyster white . Now we are all happy.

NX is very striking though and if I could have got over the lower mpg I would have bought it

• Like 1

Hi David. There's plenty of honest owner information on the forum.  I agree that reviews by professional motoring journalists with an obsessive interest in handling on the limit are of doubtful value, especially when it comes to hybrids, which most of them just don't get. I can say after 3 years or so that the NX has been an outstanding car, with faultless reliability and good fuel economy for a near 2-tonne SUV (my lifetime average is around 41 mpg).  If you decide to go with the NX, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

• Like 2

I can only agree with previous comments. Make your own mind up, and if it fits the bill then get it. If we only went on 'professional' reviews then we'd probably all be driving German cars...

I find the NX to be well made, quiet, comfortable and with good mpg for an SUV. It isn't the most practical choice out there, and some of the design details are frustrating - having to lower the rear seats from the rear doors rather than from the boot area as an example - but these are the sort of small issues every car has for some owners.

The only other thing I'd say is you should drive the Luxury or Premier version as well as the F-Sport, as the ride and seats are softer. That doesn't suit everybody, but imho it's worth trying out before you commit.

When I went to test drive my NX 12 months ago I looked at all reviews from the motoring press and this forum and picked on all the negatives. I went on a test drive for an hour with all these negatives to observe and found that the negative comments were not  issues for me, but to be sure I asked for a 24 hour test drive. The longer test drive convinced me that the NX was the car for me as long as the costing figures added up.

8 months down the line and I am still discovering new things about the car on a weekly basis  (some negative), but there are far more positives for me about the car to confirm that I made the right choice.

If you are looking at reliability you will see that this forum is very quiet on this topic.

Well, we're a year in with our NX Premier. And re still convinced that we made the right choice.

The mainstream choices are German or JLR. The press reviews focus on sportiness (ha ha ha ha - in an SUV), image, and above all - seek to reflect mainstream popularity to keep their sales up and advertisers happy. And by the way, sales of medium to large SUVs from those manufacturers are tanking as they're dependent upon diesel.

If you need to buy something for image, status anxiety or keeping up with the Jones', don't get the Lexus. It's an independent choice and most people don't know what they are.

Any Lexus is not a mainstream choice, and all the better for it. The things that make it right for us include: They Hybrid mode. We bought ours with actually money so didn't want to be exposed to taking residuals on diesel cars. And petrol only was a bit too juicy. It's not even trying to be sporty so don't drive it like a sports car. Just relax and waft along. The fuel economy is as good as or better than most diesel SUVs in normal driving - 38 mpg average over the year. in 17k miles, not a thing has rattled or gone wrong. We've almost forgotten how to get to the dealer. This car will last a LONG time. The radar cruise control is excellent, makes a long journey so much easier. The Mark Levinson stereo is AMAZING. All the toys were included. The only options was the protection pack, well worth it. And the satisfaction and reliability surveys put Lexus at the top and Germans/JLR mid-table at best.

Yep, I still don't like gearbox, the engine start/stop occasionally isn't as smooth as it should be and I've nearly thrown the sometimes bonkers satnav out of the window. But the latter is not unique to this car. 

Take the plunge and don't worry about the others. They can follow the status-needy crowd. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, EssexGonzo said:

The press reviews focus on sportiness (ha ha ha ha - in an SUV)

Maybe because it’s a SPORTS Utility Vehicle ? 😂

The press don’t know jack Schitt about a Lexus and hybrids and the longer it stays that way the better for us Lexus owners and drivers, who can waft about in luxurious comfort and not looking like every other wannabee German car driver

On 11/23/2018 at 6:33 PM, Martin J said:

Hi David. There's plenty of honest owner information on the forum.  I agree that reviews by professional motoring journalists with an obsessive interest in handling on the limit are of doubtful value, especially when it comes to hybrids, which most of them just don't get. I can say after 3 years or so that the NX has been an outstanding car, with faultless reliability and good fuel economy for a near 2-tonne SUV (my lifetime average is around 41 mpg).  If you decide to go with the NX, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Thank you thats useful comments, we wanted a car that stands out a little, because there are so many similar looking SUV type vehicles out there, its seems to me when driving around every other car seems to be a Chelsea tractor (RR) or a Nissan quashqi, i do like the gearbox transition on the NX that shifts between electric & petrol, and found acceleration good on a test drive, and following a great deal of research over 12 months on all the manufacturers, we found that the Lexus NX was the only car that offered something the others didn't, which i found interesting, and in a crowded market swamped with SUV type vehicles makes the NX fairly unique, so looking forward to getting the car next February.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add another one to the "basically ignore reviews because they overstate handling" argument.

The infotainment is a pain (but you do get used to it) and I do think road bumps get through the car a little more than they should. But that's it. Other than that it is quiet, it is good-looking, it is supremely comfortable, it is reliable, and it is in every sense outstanding.

So if you liked it, don't hesitate!

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2018 at 7:26 AM, olliesgrandad said:

Thats what I thought until I drove both 😊

In contrast, I’ve had RX courtesy cars for a couple of weeks (lots of issues with my first NX - eventually deal done to replace with Lexus help) and, although it is a very good vehicle, I prefer the NX.

A lot of that is down to size (narrow lanes where I live) but in general I found the gains for the type of driving I do to be marginal. As others have stated, the NX is quiet, well made and relatively economical, and buying new the saving over an RX is significant.

Saying all that, when I come to change I’ll look to downsize to the UX as even the NX is really bigger than I need or want.

I’d say that if you really need space or just prefer the bulk of a full sized SUV then get an RX - there isn’t a better choice on the market imho. But if you really don’t need the space the NX is just great.