Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What's gone wrong with your IS300h?

What's gone wrong with your IS300h?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. If your IS300h has developed any faults, which area were they in?

• Hybrid system (excluding 12v battery)
    • 12v battery
    • Other electrics
    • Transmission
    • Bodywork
    • Engine
    • Other faults
    • No faults (no work needed except routine maintenance)

I've been reading the Boring Forum thread on the LS sub-forum. (Boring because of the lack of faults to discuss.) It made me wonder what faults owners have found on their IS300h. Any comments? I've attached a poll, too.

7 hours ago, sheamus said:

IS300h 2013 110k

Wipers stopping on windscreen cost me €500

Drivers seat back worn through cost me €900

Drivers seat back wearing through at that mileage isnt a fault as such

• Like 1

I found all three generations of the IS in their 200, 250 and 300h versions to be equally reliable mechanically and, by and large, electronically.  After three years’ ownership/75000km I came to regard the 300h as the best in terms of overall build and materials quality insofar as I experienced none of the more serious issues - all quickly resolved under warranty but very irritating at the time - affecting its predecessors, e.g.  condensation-prone headlights, flaking body chrome, worn gear-knob in the 200, and corrosion-prone wheels in both of my two 250s.  The only major problem (at least I considered it to be such) I had with the 300h was the marked tendency of the padding of the door-side bolster of the driver’s seat to flatten and sag and the leather to crease. This finally became so irritatingly unsightly as to lead me to bring my change of car forward by a few months.  The only other issue I ever had with the 300h regarded a faulty tyre pressure sensor when the car was practically new.  Because a replacement was not immediately available from stock I was obliged to leave for a month-long trip with the tyre warning permanently lit.  This was extremely irritating but gave me something to curse at during periods of motorway boredom while at the same time discovering the car to otherwise be as predictably solid and reliable as any Lexus I had previously owned, and probably more pleasing.

Rear Brake pad seized within the caliper (but at the time, I was only using the car to travel from Yorkshire to Birmingham so not using the brakes (happened after an emergency stop.

Vibration at 50mph, not a fault, but fixed under warranty.

other than that no faults.

Best car Ive ever owned. Even the odd rattle turned out to be door seals that needed to be cleaned.

Other than the door seals there is some brake noise when almost coming to a halt (seems to be normal) and the main ML speaker grill coming loose behind the rear seat which the dealer fixed. All small stuf.

This is such a smooth and quit car, I'm not longing for anything else after 3 year of ownership from new. 

1st IS300h, rear Adaptive dampers (shocks) were weeping and replaced under warranty. Dealer noticed at service.

Had a noisy whirring noise when it was cold from in the dash (heater, CD player, something else) never found out or fixed it, wasn’t too much of an issue. 80k miles of otherwise trouble free motoring.

2nd IS300h, front parking sensor controller failed and was replaced under warranty after a bit of investigation.

have a little rattle From the trim around the mouse controller, but it is intermittent and not an issue really. Again 31k miles so far and enjoying car.

i had a rattling sound on my last 300h, it drove me mad for weeks

i was about to remove the steering wheel and luckily found the rattle

had been coming from a metal clip on the kick panel above the

driver foot well a bit of self adhesive felt on the clip cured the issue.

Interesting to see in the poll at the top that someone had a problem with the transmission. It would be good to know what the problem was. There are so few moving parts in the transmission that I'm intrigued to know what went wrong.

• 6 months later...
  1. Drivers window loud noise (up and down) when outside temperature low and glass is wet - fixed twice by the dealer due to a part which moved a bit inside, the issue just returned a few weeks ago during the mentioned conditions, but can't get it fixed again as the weather changed to hot.
  2. Squeaking rear brakes - fixed twice by dealer + twice by me as is an easy fix (every 20k miles or so).
  3. Knocking sound when full steering right then turning a bit towards straight on a bumpy road - under investigation, dealer already said a few times that they can't hear anything as there is no bumpy road around for them to test it, but this might be a design flaw. I'll be back with details and, maybe, a video on YouTube.
  4. Recently had to press the foot brake all the way to stop, normally is a halfway to 3 quarters or so - under investigation.
  5. Soft or loose or not so responsive steering after being on a bumpy road - under investigation.
  6. Clicking or popping sound when steering left right, also when stationary - under investigation, dealer replaced the spiral cable in the steering wheel, but no change in the car's behavior.
  7. Front Parking Sensors started sometimes during sunny days with no obstacle in front or dirt on them, not a big issue as this happens randomly and might be a bug or something as were clean by the time I've got out to check them, a quick wipe of the sensors should fix it.
  8. One of the seatbelts Sensor requesting to have it on, without any passengers in the car, not a big issue as it only happened once - fixed by turning off and on the car.
  9. USB ports not giving enough power to charge my phone, fixed by buying a cigarette charger - checked by the dealer and everything seems to work normally, I didn't want to investigate further because these ports might not give enough power for some phones so not sure if this is an issue.
  10. The alarm went off a few times without anything around the car, not a bit issue as it happened only a few times.
  11. Cabin noise coming from different parts, doors making creaking sounds when going over bumps, dashboard, handrest, and glove box. Not a big issue, but it kind of ruins the silence and pleasure of driving a Lexus, especially when running on Battery. Hope this can be fixed with some deadening - to be investigated.
  12. Engine shaking heavily when car turned on (like starting a frozen diesel engine during a cold winter) until I pressed the acceleration and went back to normal, only happened once, when I started the car after 3 days at 5 degrees, never had this issue after - this might be related to the Battery (not hybrid), but not sure.

• Engine shaking heavily when car turned on (like starting a frozen diesel engine during a cold winter) until I pressed the acceleration and went back to normal, only happened once, when I started the car after 3 days at 5 degrees, never had this issue after - this might be related to the battery (not hybrid), but not sure.

• What mileage has you 300h done?

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

120k and going strong 🙂

Forgot to add:
    Reversing camera condensation twice, the water inside the camera lens disappeared in a few days with no intervention needed, but I was unable to see clearly when I was reversing.

120k and going strong [emoji846]

Forgot to add:
    Reversing camera condensation twice, the water inside the camera lens disappeared in a few days with no intervention needed, but I was unable to see clearly when I was reversing.

That’s interesting.

I’ve run prius for about 10 years now and the later ones had an issue where when they started getting a bit of mileage on cold mornings they would start and run very rough.

It was found that there was oil in the inlet manifold and the crankcase vent system wasn’t working as it should. The unofficial fix was an oil catch tank, this stopped the oil from collecting in the manifold and irradiated the rough running on cold mornings

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, mister_johnn said:

USB ports not giving enough power to charge my phone, fixed by buying a cigarette charger - checked by the dealer and everything seems to work normally, I didn't want to investigate further because these ports might not give enough power for some phones so not sure if this is an issue.

This is how they are designed - they do provide a trickle of power but they are really about USB comms between the car and the phone - e.g. Mirrorlink. The only fault here is that this comms doesn't really work at all; the fact that you get a little charge which will charge the phone - albeit at a painfully slow rate - is a bonus.

Hi Mister John how did you fix the rear squeaking brakes bought my IS300h 2015 Fsport (only in March 2019) and has this issue. Been back to Lexus twice and still doing it. They say Lexus knows about fault and are working on it.

Really annoying me as i saved for a long time to buy it as a 50th birthday present for my self.

Any advice would be good from any one. Car is still under warranty.

Thanks

On 11/23/2018 at 6:37 PM, rayaans said:

Drivers seat back wearing through at that mileage isnt a fault as such

It’s a design fault by Lexus , or wrong choice of leather , I had my drivers seat replaced , under warranty and within months of getting in And out really carefully, it is again badly worn , it’s my biggest complaint I have with the car . 

On 6/29/2019 at 2:56 PM, rayaans said:

6 years old in September - no issues yet, not even a rattle at 18k miles

18000 miles over 6 years ??!!!  Let me know when you are selling it !!!!

7 minutes ago, Dealkent said:

18000 miles over 6 years ??!!!  Let me know when you are selling it !!!!

Had 10k miles on it when bought at 2 years old. We've got 3 cars in the house now so the IS barely gets used like 2k a year always garaged and serviced each year too