Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Electric roof - problem with motor?

In the manual it says that a one second depression of the open button opens the roof partially, followed by a second depression to continue. Mine doesn't - I need to keep the button down constantly to open it. 

Also, when I close it, the roof continues to the tilt position if i don't release it. Same if I tilt, when closing it will carry on to open if I don't release it. 

Obviously there is a problem, but is it fixable or will I need new parts, and if so is it the switch cluster or the motor. 

It is most unlikely to be the motor. It could be the switch, but it is also possible that there is an ECU that controls the sun roof, and that could be the problem.
Has the roof always operated as it is now while in your ownership? If so the operation may be customisable in Techstream or need resetting in the same way that the electric windows do after the 12 volt Battery has been disconnected. 

John.

I have only had it 3 weeks or so, and it has always acted this way.

I don't know if it has had the Battery disconnected at any time so cant comment on that.

Does a check and reset need a dealer visit, or can I get some software to check/correct it if it needs it.

I have a Bluetooth OBD connector - would I need a usb one?

britpus is correct it needs resetting keep the button pressed and it will open then let it run till the roof closes and then tilts it should then be ok i suspect windows are not one press either

good luck HTH

+1 on trying a reset first before worrying about motors ( ££££££'s) 

My Sun(Moon)Roof on my IS 250 was not behaving properly after replacing the Battery last year and although the window reset procedure is prominent in the manual ( page 45 in mine!) the Sunroof reset is not in the sunroof section (page 47) I can't remember the procedure exactly but it was something like holding the control knob down for 10 seconds?

paul m.

If the Battery has previously been disconnected and the roof hasn't been reset page 54 of the GS 450h owner's manual explains what you need to do. Similarly if the windows also haven't been reset after the Battery being disconnected page 51 explains what to do.

Sorry just noticed that you have a GS 300 and I quoted the 450h manual but I still think it will be in your manual as it shouldn't be so much different to mine. You state in your original post that you have followed your manual in how to operate it so, if it follows my manual, the explanation for what you need to do is on the following page under a bullet heading 'When the 12 volt Battery is disconnected'.

Thanks guys.

I found the reset instructions - they were in the 'opening externally' section further on in the manual.

It said to hold the 'UP' button until the roof opened and then partially closed again. Then to release the button and the roof should work - but it doesn't. When I press and hold the 'UP' button the roof opens and when fully open it makes a clicking noise but doesn't close partially.

If I hold the  'Close' button and continue holding it after the roof is in the closed position it continues to tilt, then if I hold the 'Down' button, after it drops it continues on and opens. All very weird.

If I try the other method suggested, I hold the 'Open' button until it fully opens, but if I keep the open button pressed it clicks but doesn't close.

What makes me think it may not be related to a disconnected Battery is that the windows function properly - and when I hold the lock button on the remote the windows open but the roof doesn't.

I was thinking that might work - but wasn't sure if it was a sensible idea.

I'll try it,  is it just the windows and roof that might need resetting, or are there other things I need to consider.

Each window will need 're-setting' otherwise they will not have 'one touch' and will only work on each respective door switch and not from the drivers position.The factory fit audio equipment should not need a code and if fitted sat nav should sort itself out.

paul m.

Thanks @Texas

That seems to have done the trick - almost.. Most of the roof functions seem to have returned - except the stopping half way when first opening. It goes all the way back. However the reset method in the manual wasn't what did it - that didn't work. What did work (it seems) was tilting the roof then holding the down button until the roof dropped, then wound fully back then wound fully forward and then tilted again before it stopped - at which point I released the down button and pressed it again to close the roof - then everything worked.

I reset the windows and they are working as they should again, and I will check that everything else is OK later - although I have lost the average mpg since top up from the info panel. I'm not sure how accurate the Lexus mpg monitoring is - but I was trying to test from last fill up and compare it physically - guess that can wait until next fill up.

Thanks again.

• Like 2