Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Have a Toyota Crown Majesta S180 -2006.

andrewcoxgm@gmail.com

On 12/9/2018 at 12:31 PM, andrewcoxgm@gmail.com said:

Hi,

Here is a photo of the mystery button in my crown. It's located in front of the air purifier controls above the rear view mirror (sorry if the photo isn't very sharp). It's basically a car icon with beams coming down inside from the roof and the only option is 'OFF'.  If I press it, nothing seems to happen (no lights on dash etc). Can you help?

Thanks

20181209_153942.jpg

A bit blurred but I'm sure it disables the interior alarm sensors in case you lock pets/children inside.

7 hours ago, Scouselexus said:

I really like that.  I wonder which Toyota it shares parts with.

On 12/18/2018 at 7:08 PM, Scouselexus said:

Hi.

I think that's an S170 Crown, the previous model to my S180. They upgraded the engine to a V8 in the S180 Majesta plus a few other things. Still looks very nice though!.

Had my Majesta for over a month now and am v happy with it, but there are some minor niggly issues that I wasn't expecting..

Firstly, there's no way to manually reset the avg fuel consumption reading. In any other car you can press a button or choose an option to set this reading back to zero  (ie, how much fuel am I using from now on). In the crown (and lexus ls430) you can't do that. Instead, the reading gets reset to zero (whether you like it or not) when you fill up the tank. Considering the effort Toyota made to make this car better than it's European rivals,  this oversight is v strange.

Secondly, the boot release mechanism is rubbish. You press a button under the boot lid and and it pops open. Then you have to gently lift it up about an inch until the motors engage and open it fully for you. So it sort of opens automatically but it doesn't shut itself. You have to do that yourself! You push the boot lid down and just before it's shut the car sucks it down the rest of the way with a viscous thump to make sure it is secure. I have checked and this isn't a fault. It's just what crowns do. I think it is specifically designed to eat fingers and a real child hazard. It reminds me of the snappy cash till they had in 'Open All Hours'.

The worst one though is the park brake. It's not a handbrake, it's a footbrake, but that's not the problem - my Avalon had a footbrake and it's easy to use when you get used to it. You park and press the lever down to engage it, then press fully down and gradually lift off to disengage if you are on a slope etc (just like an old handbrake). My new Crown also has a foot pedal to engage the park brake, but you can't disengage it with the pedal. Instead there is a big lever under the dashboard and when you pull it the park brake is  completely 'off'.

I have a steep driveway and this isn't a problem when I set off in the morning because the engine revs higher until it reaches working temperature. However, if you drive about a bit and park the car on a slope, when you pull that lever to drive off the car rolls. The park brake is either on or off and you have to do some fancy footwork with the brake and accelerator to avoid a ding. Have no idea why Toyota went with this. The footbrake in other models worked fine.

Other then that it's all good. Great car, great price. Should have done it sooner!

.  .  .

20 minutes ago, andrewcoxgm@gmail.com said:

Hi.

I think that's an S170 Crown, the previous model to my S180. They upgraded the engine to a V8 in the S180 Majesta plus a few other things. Still looks very nice though!.

Had my Majesta for over a month now and am v happy with it, but there are some minor niggly issues that I wasn't expecting..

Firstly, there's no way to manually reset the avg fuel consumption reading. In any other car you can press a button or choose an option to set this reading back to zero  (ie, how much fuel am I using from now on). In the crown (and lexus ls430) you can't do that. Instead, the reading gets reset to zero (whether you like it or not) when you fill up the tank. Considering the effort Toyota made to make this car better than it's European rivals,  this oversight is v strange.

Secondly, the boot release mechanism is rubbish. You press a button under the boot lid and and it pops open. Then you have to gently lift it up about an inch until the motors engage and open it fully for you. So it sort of opens automatically but it doesn't shut itself. You have to do that yourself! You push the boot lid down and just before it's shut the car sucks it down the rest of the way with a viscous thump to make sure it is secure. I have checked and this isn't a fault. It's just what crowns do. I think it is specifically designed to eat fingers and a real child hazard. It reminds me of the snappy cash till they had in 'Open All Hours'.

The worst one though is the park brake. It's not a handbrake, it's a footbrake, but that's not the problem - my Avalon had a footbrake and it's easy to use when you get used to it. You park and press the lever down to engage it, then press fully down and gradually lift off to disengage if you are on a slope etc (just like an old handbrake). My new Crown also has a foot pedal to engage the park brake, but you can't disengage it with the pedal. Instead there is a big lever under the dashboard and when you pull it the park brake is  completely 'off'.

I have a steep driveway and this isn't a problem when I set off in the morning because the engine revs higher until it reaches working temperature. However, if you drive about a bit and park the car on a slope, when you pull that lever to drive off the car rolls. The park brake is either on or off and you have to do some fancy footwork with the brake and accelerator to avoid a ding. Have no idea why Toyota went with this. The footbrake in other models worked fine.

Other then that it's all good. Great car, great price. Should have done it sooner!

.  .  .

Minor woes then really.  Not sure what you mean about not manually setting the average fuel consumption on the LS430, with mine you just press re-set whenever you want.

On 12/19/2018 at 2:15 AM, The-Acre said:

A bit blurred but I'm sure it disables the interior alarm sensors in case you lock pets/children inside.

Wow thanks! Presumably I can test this by locking children inside and hear if the alarm goes off?

20 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Minor woes then really.  Not sure what you mean about not manually setting the average fuel consumption on the LS430, with mine you just press re-set whenever you want.

Really? How? Have been told on other forums it isn't possible.

23 hours ago, Chris Skelton said:

Nice Cube in background of pic! possibly my next car! (-:

Don't do it! I checked out the cubes they had in the compliance shop and they are awful. You would be better off with an Austin Maxi or a Morris. 

1 hour ago, andrewcoxgm@gmail.com said:

Sounds a bit like the footbrake in the XC90. A foot operated pedal to apply the brake but a handle to pull to disengage. Can you cover the footbrake with your foot so it doesn't completely disengage when you pull the lever? Pretty much what I had to do on the XC90. To stop it rolling and avoid the bloody loud twang! when the footbrake disengaged.

Sounds like the system I have in the Merc.

Can`t you use the left foot on the brake?

7 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Sounds a bit like the footbrake in the XC90. A foot operated pedal to apply the brake but a handle to pull to disengage. Can you cover the footbrake with your foot so it doesn't completely disengage when you pull the lever? Pretty much what I had to do on the XC90. To stop it rolling and avoid the bloody loud twang! when the footbrake disengaged.

Thankyou - I will give it a a go and let you know. That solution never occurred to me. By the way, I also find that big clunky noise very annoying when I pull the release handle. Sounds more like a tractor than a luxury sedan.

19 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Sounds like the system I have in the Merc.

Can`t you use the left foot on the brake?

I do, but it is annoying and I don't understand why Toyota rolled this out when they had perfectly good set ups in other cars. It is an annoyance I wanted to tell potential buyers about.

2 minutes ago, andrewcoxgm@gmail.com said:

I do, but it is annoying and I don't understand why Toyota rolled this out when they had perfectly good set ups in other cars. It is an annoyance I wanted to tell potential buyers about.

I`ve had it for 25 years in 4 successive Mercs and never found it  troublesome Andrew.

Horses for Courses, I suppose.

38 minutes ago, andrewcoxgm@gmail.com said:

Thankyou - I will give it a a go and let you know. That solution never occurred to me. By the way, I also find that big clunky noise very annoying when I pull the release handle. Sounds more like a tractor than a luxury sedan.

Always thought exactly the same with the Volvo until someone casually mentioned covering the brake when you release it. I thought Doh! Very quickly became second nature after starting the car.

18 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

I just press reset on the steering wheel.

IMG_20181220_151100094.jpg

That works for resetting average speed/trip distance etc, but it won't reset avg fuel consumption. Just to be clear, that is (in my crown) kms travelled per litre. No way to reset that unless you refill the tank. Maybe your lexus is a later model?

Not sure if this is of any help regarding touchscreen & controls to anyone with an import,
I have an aristo with the factory emv

sorry for the slight blur zoom in [emoji16]
7de09abe27ced012e14ea479bc731910.jpgeb0e70954f70d3417dd8c0123dfe51c2.jpge27b632c371d8cc73d5df9572fb570fc.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, andrewcoxgm@gmail.com said:

That works for resetting average speed/trip distance etc, but it won't reset avg fuel consumption. Just to be clear, that is (in my crown) kms travelled per litre. No way to reset that unless you refill the tank. Maybe your lexus is a later model?

No, mine resets the fuel average as well.

15 hours ago, The-Acre said:

No, mine resets the fuel average as well.

Wish mine would but it doesn't, and the TS controls for fuel usage don't either. I spent ages trying to figure out a way to reset it then came across some US Lexus forums and they were complaining about the same thing. It only resets when you fill the tank up. Minor thing nut v annoying.

20 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I`ve had it for 25 years in 4 successive Mercs and never found it  troublesome Andrew.

Horses for Courses, I suppose.

Yes but horses don't roll downhill. They dig their hooves in to stop that happening. Just saying it is a stupid setup.

• Like 1