Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Squeaky noise when opening window

I own a Lexus IS 300h 2013 since 6 months now and since it has gotten colder over here (The Netherlands) I notice the driver side window make an awful squeaky noise when opening it. I know it's most likely just one of the rubbers alongside the outside of the window frame, but even after a couple of car washes and trying to find if there's a place where some dirt might've gathered (which isn't the case) it still does this.

Since I'm still 9000 km from my next maintenance, I'm wondering what to do and if this might be a common issue or just normal after 160.000 km? Is something like this worth going to the dealership for or is better (cost wise) to just sit it out until the next maintenance is planned? Which will be at least 6 months from now with my mileage. On the one hand I don't mind that much since it's just a noise and only when opening the window, closing not so much. But every now and then when I enter a car park and open the window people passing by look at me and I can't help but think they might look at me as if I'm a cheapskate, buying a hybrid luxury vehicle but not maintaining it properly.

What do you guys think?

6 minutes ago, Carter said:

I can't help but think they might look at me as if I'm a cheapskate

Don't worry! They're not thinking about you at all. Like most other people they're thinking about themselves. Probably something along the lines of, "That looks a nice car. Hope the driver doesn't notice my 14-year-old Fiesta parked over there. I'll stand casually by this Tesla and maybe the driver with the squeaky window will think it's mine."

6 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

Don't worry! They're not thinking about you at all. Like most other people they're thinking about themselves. Probably something along the lines of, "That looks a nice car. Hope the driver doesn't notice my 14-year-old Fiesta parked over there. I'll stand casually by this Tesla and maybe the driver with the squeaky window will think it's mine."

This made me laugh! Maybe you're right though.

1 minute ago, matt8 said:

Same issue. I posted about it before.

Never got to the bottom of it. I mentioned to dealer and they couldn't solve it.

Well that doesn't sound promising. Is it a really loud squeaky noise as well in yours? I'll try and look up your post and also email my dealer. 

Don't have it on my Lexus but have had it on other cars in the past - generally cured it by making sure the horizontal rubber at the base of the window is nice and clean - wind down the window fully and really clean the rubber where it touches the glass - it collects a lot of dirt in there as it "scrapes" everything off the window each time it goes down. You can also try spraying a bit of lubrication in the vertical side channel - not much though or it will get all over the window.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, will check out the horizontal rubber tonight and if cleaning it doesn't help I'll get some silicone spray. So I reckon replacing any rubbers isn't the solution? Or is silicon spray a 3 month solution and replacing the rubbers maybe 2+ years?

45 minutes ago, Carter said:

Thanks guys, will check out the horizontal rubber tonight and if cleaning it doesn't help I'll get some silicone spray. So I reckon replacing any rubbers isn't the solution? Or is silicon spray a 3 month solution and replacing the rubbers maybe 2+ years?

I have never replaced rubbers on previous cars. A good clean and lubrication (as pre previous email for type of spray) would usually last a year or more - that's running cars to 10 years old and up to 200k miles. 

While we are on squeaks I get a gentle tapping sound  above my head .  It seems to come from the base of the stalk of the sun visor or perhaps behind the vanity light.  Only when it is cold and (annoyingly) only on the driver side.  Have tried banging the roof area with my fist but the only thing which seems to help is warm weather or once the car is heated up inside . Of course by the time I get to the garage the car is warm and the  tapping stops. Did try recording it but all the other car noises were also picked up.  

Has anyone else experienced this tapping and if so, what was the cause/solution?

Yes. I also have a tapping in that area. I have not solved it but also think it is behind the vanity light. May prise it off at some stage to investigate further. It is difficult to pin it down as it is intermittent as you said. The second issue is of course, that troubleshooting whilst driving is tricky to say the least.

A couple of thoughts, based on bitter experience... 

1) It always amazes me just how far rattling sounds "transmit" through a car - I have had a couple of rattles in the past that were driving me made and I could have sworn came from one area or another but eventually traced them to simply loose objects in the centre console / door bins / glove box. My way of dealing with any sounds now is to remove absolutely everything that is loose from these areas and see if that solves the problem. 

2) The door seals can also make what sounds like a rattle noise - this usually sounds like it is coming from the area near the seatbelt adjuster on the door pillar but sound further forwards. It is in fact the door rubber weather seals making the noise. Clean all the rubber seals on body and doors with water (to remove loose dirt) then apply Gummi Pflege (can purchase easily online) which is a rubber seal lubricant that softens and coats the rubber seals with a slippery surface. Once done it is amazing how many small noises are eliminated. I do this once or twice a year now as a matter of course. Also clean the windows where they go into the rubbers at the top - again friction in the dirt can make odd noises there too - crack the window down a mm or so and see if you still get it to see if it might be this latter issue.

Yours may not be either of the above, but in my case I have found on a number of cars undertaking these simple steps can often resolve the issues so now always try these first before reverting to more detailed inspection. The Lexus is so quiet that these small noises can be very frustrating...!

On 11/28/2018 at 6:54 PM, Richard1200 said:

I have an annoying buzzy rattle fof quite a while, comes and goes. Eventually while out one day my wife tracked it down to the shelf in the glove box. Pulled it out, nothing since. Simples.

i always remove the plastic tray as it divides the glovebox into 2 useless partions

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Got very similar issue on my IS. Suspect part that holds the window glass in position - put your window half way down and try moving it with hand up and down. Do the same on driver side and passenger site to see the difference - my is loose on driver side. Good idea is to check window up and down with door opened and closed. Had this issue for past 2 years and currently while driving I can hear rattling somewhat like door is not fully locked. Will be looking into it soon (good weather weekend) as need to take side panel off. Just dont believe any silicon, spray or prozac will solve this issue as suspect loose in mechanical parts...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links