Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I didn't want to hijack the thread about LED lights currently active so I have started another one on the same lines.

I bought my current IS back in Feb and I found out not long after that most of the bulbs had been changed (interior and exterior)

I am a bit more concerned about the headlights. It has recently passed an MOT so not worried about the legalities of this .... The 3 different lights on the front are different colours - see images below.

I would like to match them up better - I would like to keep the HIDS so would like to match the dipped which are shown as blue in the picture and the spots to the same colour as the HIDS. Does anyone know what the best type of bulbs I would need to buy to better match these up. The pictures are of the main beam side lights (or dipped) and spot lights.

IMAG2443-20181126-180256764.thumb.jpg.1b8c4eb9a76ca5bf01d518302722cdd7.jpg

above light is very blue

IMAG2444-20181126-180254837.thumb.jpg.493caafd91baa2c6fb00cef241585740.jpg

main beam and side light - I don't think they look right together

IMAG2445-20181126-180252876.thumb.jpg.cdd87c6ef9ecfe10e0697b7a2db889f7.jpg

main beam / side light and spot light

Standard HIDS are 4300k. Assuming yours are standard you might have issues matching the colour. LEDs are usually 5500-6000k, halogens are usually 3200k....

However, Kelvins (K) are kind of misleading - halogens will always tend to be yellowish (unless some funky blue), LEDs (especially cheaper ones tends to be blue-ish)... and HIDs with 4300K will be more white then halogens claiming to be 5300K... I mean even for same K rating you not going to have exact match between different type of bulbs.

From experience any good quality HIDs ~5500-6000K will match any good quality LEDs around same rating - Because they simply going to be pure white (which is what you ideally want - yellow or blue indicates poor quality or "vintage" technology). So HID for dipped, LED for side lights, LED for fog lights.... but I personally have not found any cure for main beam - need to find powerful enough LED bulb I guess.

Here is old thread for comparison... my dipped + side lights matches, but main (5300k halogen) looks pink-ish. I am not that bothered about main beam or fogs to be honest..

• Like 2

Agree with Linas on most of this, except that LED bulbs are useless in the foglights and headlights - they just don't project enough light to do anything. LEDs are fine for the parking lights because you are not trying to illuminate the surroundings, just look bright from outside the car.

Are the HIDs original (ie does the car have self levelling)?. If so I don't think you can fit anything except HID bulbs.

Please note the 'names' of the different lights - the outer lights (the HIDs) are the dipped beams. The inner ones (the blue-ish ones in the pic) are the main beams. That lampholder also contains the parking light bulbs. (Note - parking lights - only for use alone when parked!) The 'bottom' lights which Noo bie calls 'spot' lights are fog lights and should only be used in case of seriously reduced visibility (see Highway code rule 226 and Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 27)

• Like 2

My guess, .... and it is only a guess, ..... is the previous owner has put some of those 'blue' 5w5 caplet bulbs in the side light socket. They were often dished out free with Halogen bulbs ... you know the type you can get on eBay. Most MOT centres will fail those straight away. The blue light they can give out has a bit of influence on the full beam emission. Equally, there may be a very blue bulb in the full beam socket.

I have an LED bulb in the side light socket ...think I put a picture in the Owners recommendations for parts page. If I can find it .....

This place:-

These are the ones i got.

a.jpg

My HID in the Osram cool blue intense

Full beam is a (think it was) 5000K Halogen bulb,  up specced from eBay. Been in there about 5 years now. The bulb cover looks pale blue, but the emitted light is white, and pretty close to the HID colour.

Never bothered with doing anything with the fog light bulbs ... can't remember the last time they were used!!

• Like 1

Can't find the original seller of my side light bulbs but this looks very close

Link

Just make sure, for the w5w type bulb you get the same tail fitment as shown in the pic. Also, try and get the type that has a metal sheath at the working end as the Full beam pumps out enough heat to melt those plastic type smd versions. You really want the CREE type in there.

Don't get this type of tail fitment ... I found they did not work at all ...anywhere..... on a Lexus. My son had some for his Audi ...worked fine ... but not on my Lexus!!

4x T10 CAR BULBS LED ERROR FREE CANBUS 6 SMD XENON WHITE W5W 501 SIDE LIGHT BULB

• Like 1

Perhaps it would be helpful here to add a bit about colour.

Blue light scatters more than red. So if you are driving through something which does cause lots of scattering like mist or fog, then blueish lights are not going to penetrate so far and worse some of the scattered light comes back at you reducing what you can see even more. This is why fog lights are reddish rather than blueish and/or have an orange window.

So 4300K for fog lamps. For headlights I think OEM are 4300 but 5 or 6000 possibly better? 

John

After reading this thread I'd kinda put it to the back of my mind. Then Wednesday morning I was seeing the Mrs off to work and had to show her where the fogs were on the 250c. Foggy as hell it was.
All bulbs are stock to my knowledge, but front sidelights are a different white / yellow to the hid's, and a different white to the fog lights.

I thought it looked a bit of an arse.

Anyone know what the standard Lexus hid bulb Kelvin rating is. I think I'm going to look at matching the sidelights and fog lights up better for a more uniform look.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

After reading this thread I'd kinda put it to the back of my mind. Then Wednesday morning I was seeing the Mrs off to work and had to show her where the fogs were on the 250c. Foggy as hell it was.
All bulbs are stock to my knowledge, but front sidelights are a different white / yellow to the hid's, and a different white to the fog lights.

I thought it looked a bit of an arse.

Anyone know what the standard Lexus hid bulb Kelvin rating is. I think I'm going to look at matching the sidelights and fog lights up better for a more uniform look.

I did my fogs and changed them to LED81fabc5e6d6fe324a867aa8c15ac0a1e.jpg42274960862ff3e7570c4ae3ec76379b.jpgf3de26ae5485f3fe94695f38fd6347d1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Cheers leelacey17

Is it a pain to get at the fog light bulbs ?

Not really you just pop out the clips around the wheel arch and access them from there. The ones I got are really good due to the lens at the front and the leds around the sides.

20 minutes ago, leelacey17 said:

I did my fogs and changed them to led81fabc5e6d6fe324a867aa8c15ac0a1e.jpg42274960862ff3e7570c4ae3ec76379b.jpgf3de26ae5485f3fe94695f38fd6347d1.jpg

Were these before and after pictures? If the LEDs are the bottom picture have you used them in fog yet?

If so, were they better than the old lamps?

John

Were these before and after pictures? If the LEDs are the bottom picture have you used them in fog yet?
If so, were they better than the old lamps?
John
Hi, yes the lower one is the LED bulbs. To be honest I don't do big miles in the car and not had to drive in heavy fog so can say. They are certainly brighter but probably project the light differently

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the info - I managed to have a look at the bulbs in the lights during the day time (have not really been bothered since buying the car) Strangely enough, and I have had an IS for 6 years now, I found out what the positions on the light stalk correspond to when turning them on - I knew what the positions meant but didn't know what position turned what light on... duh!!

1.thumb.jpg.8aad734189755c3829ea897eb8e8b209.jpg

Number 1 is the LED bulb that someone has replaced and this corresponds to the position shown in the next picture - to be honest I thought it was 2 that was activated with the position of the switch

2.thumb.jpg.3ec04837aa5962cf54bdb497f1b36492.jpg

The next position on the stalk activates the HID and keeps No 1 on. High beam activates No 2 (keeping the HID & No 1 on) - I get it now !!!!  I like Leelaceys post on the fog light bulbs as they would match better the light from the HID, granted, there's a question over their efficiency in the fog.

I am not really fussed on the high beam bulb (No2) as its hardly ever used so I will leave that one in. I will look to change bulb 1 to match the colour of the HID, or as best as. It is just too blue at the moment and does not have any affect at all - I thought it would fail the MOT to be honest but it passed... 

The Number 1 bulb in the picture is what everyone considers to be the sidelight?

On 11/27/2018 at 4:55 PM, rayaans said:

Osram cool blue intense bulbs would match the HIDs perfectly.

If not, something cooler like Philips Diamond vision would be good

As you can see - I have Osram Cool Blue intense dipped (HIDs) and Cool Blue intense Main beam and they do not match. Cool blue intense HIDs is completely white main looks "pink-ish".

@is200newbie - yes light 1 in picture is a side light. I replaced that with Osram LED Premium Cool White for perfect match to HIDs.

P.S. I am surprised how clean your light lenses are.... almost looks like they were replaced :) 

2 hours ago, Linas.P said:

As you can see - I have Osram Cool Blue intense dipped (HIDs) and Cool Blue intense Main beam and they do not match. Cool blue intense HIDs is completely white main looks "pink-ish".

@is200newbie - yes light 1 in picture is a side light. I replaced that with Osram LED Premium Cool White for perfect match to HIDs.

P.S. I am surprised how clean your light lenses are.... almost looks like they were replaced :) 

Thanks Linas .... the lights are actually dirty - haven't washed the car for around a month :unsure: hoping the kids will do it as a christmas present !! It is only a low miler car and was garaged by the last owner who had it from new.

I will look for some of the Osram ones as it seems to be a good brand and what everyone seems to use ... do you have a link to them?

Yes HIDs are pricey, I waited for the deal and paid ~£45. Looks expensive, but when I replaced mine after 8 years and 170k miles the old bulbs were factory ones... in similar mileage/age one would probably had replaced halogens 20 times. Replacing them is real pain - my neighbour though I am replacing engine... 

LED sidelights are actually good deal - they will outlast the car, so basically you paying £8 once and have the bulbs forever.