Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Range Rover Evoque. Would you?

DanD

No, my brother got rid of his after it started costing him big time, think the worst was the steering rack, cost £1200.

He now drives  a Hyundai and he says its actually a much better car.

I know someone else who had a Freelander and it randomly started lowering one of the rear windows about  5cm - he had to be very careful when leaving the car as it sometimes did it when the doors were locking.

Vince

• Like 1

No thanks, not even as a gift.  While the infotainment may be better than Lexus's, the drivetrain technology is antediluvian. Most of the engines burn heavy oil, and all of them still have "starter  motors" 😂.  Honestly, it's 2018 JLR! Having the iPace as halo model doesn't excuse the failure to electrify other new models. And the NX still looks better, but aesthetics are subjective.

Haven't even clicked on the link but from one of the most reliable brands to one of the least? Nope.

Have to admit I have a soft spot for the convertible though. Anyone who has the balls to drive around in one of those gets my utmost respect :biggrin:

5 hours ago, Vince Donald said:

No, my brother got rid of his after it started costing him big time, think the worst was the steering rack, cost £1200.

He now drives  a Hyundai and he says its actually a much better car.

I know someone else who had a Freelander and it randomly started lowering one of the rear windows about  5cm - he had to be very careful when leaving the car as it sometimes did it when the doors were locking.

Vince

In defence of the Freelander I had one from new for six years and 80,000 miles without ever letting us down.

Never been a fan of the Evoque but think the facelift is better looking,all getting the Velar front now.

I think the Velar is a great looking car but it should have been released with a hybrid engine from the off.

I previously owned the Evoque, which to be fare was a good drive and handled well.  I traded in my RX400h for it and the only reason was that I'd had an older RX before that and thought ! fancied a change.  

But for me it was style over substance, let down by horrendous after sales service, in my case a fault with the panic alarm (didn't even know it had one until it randomly started going off at all times of the night and day, much to my neighbours annoyance).  It went back to the dealer on numerous occasions and had to call out their recovery service at least twice.  I remember one time going to pick it up after being 'fixed' and when I asked someone else to open the car for me to check, it started going off straight away, I then sat in their reception for 2 hours whilst they stripped someone else's brand new car that had just been delivered to get parts to 'fix it'..... well I left in a loan car!!!  Never again!!  Couldn't wait to get rid of (back to the dealer!)

Extremely happy with my RX450h (it's replacement).  Never had any issues with the 3 RX's owned.

• Like 2

No. Hideous over priced tiny car with a silly little transverse mount diesel engine. Horrible.

I’d save 20k and get a Hyundai or find more and get a proper car with the engine facing the correct way with a proper number of cylinders.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

On 11/28/2018 at 1:35 PM, Martin J said:

No thanks, not even as a gift.  While the infotainment may be better than Lexus's, the drivetrain technology is antediluvian. Most of the engines burn heavy oil, and all of them still have "starter  motors" 😂.  Honestly, it's 2018 JLR! Having the iPace as halo model doesn't excuse the failure to electrify other new models. And the NX still looks better, but aesthetics are subjective.

MHEV and PHEV options are on their way.....

On 11/28/2018 at 1:55 PM, The-Acre said:

Hideous looking thing.  Is it the Evoque that they make as a convertible?  I always laugh when I see one with the top down as it looks just like a boat!

you have seen the new one yeah?

14 minutes ago, Twellsie said:

MHEV and PHEV options are on their way.....

you have seen the new one yeah?

Not sure as they all look the same to me so I've just Googled it.  I'm assuming they supply a lifebelt with it as it looks just as boat like. I have also seen the new Discovery in the flesh, a rear end that appears to be made up from leftovers.

8 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Not sure as they all look the same to me so I've just Googled it.  I'm assuming they supply a lifebelt with it as it looks just as boat like. I have also seen the new Discovery in the flesh, a rear end that appears to be made up from leftovers.

totally with you on the Disco, but the new Evoque is the best looking car in its segment and definitely the most capable off road

1 hour ago, Twellsie said:

...and definitely the most capable off road...

...where it won't spend any time at all but will, in all likelihood, be troubled with electrical gremlins, shoddy build quality and ***** poor residuals. Nice plastics do not a quality car make.

• Like 1

Going back to an RX.....just shows how the 'lure of the new' has got into your psyche? We're surrounded by ads trying to tell us to buy 'new' stuff. Why should a car be 'out of date' at 5 years old/60K miles? Cars CAN go on to 200K -see ads. If you worked out just how much you spent......ludicrous!

'Even' a 10 yr old RX is more than enough, and has less complexities to fail.

Going back to an RX.....just shows how the 'lure of the new' has got into your psyche? We're surrounded by ads trying to tell us to buy 'new' stuff. Why should a car be 'out of date' at 5 years old/60K miles? Cars CAN go on to 200K -see ads. If you worked out just how much you spent......ludicrous!
'Even' a 10 yr old RX is more than enough, and has less complexities to fail.

As a car ages they need more repairs - some adhoc and unplanned. Newer low mileage cars tend to be more hassle free - hence they’re worth more.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Twellsie said:

totally with you on the Disco, but the new Evoque is the best looking car in its segment and definitely the most capable off road

I guess it's all down to beauty being in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure the Evoque is a pleasure to drive, and if you're happy to buy me one I'm happy to drive it!

• 2 weeks later...

My brother-in-law has just ordered a Velar rather than going for an RX, even though he admits the Land Rover engine (diesel) is underpowered and rough and he knows about the reliability concerns. His rationale is that it will be bought on a PCP, will be under warranty, and that he won't care if it keeps going wrong (we will see!). These days I think reliability is less of a concern for many people as they only plan on (effectively renting) a vehicle for 2-3 years from new. 

Have to say I'm amazed that the PCP deal on a Velar was cheaper than on the RX - a measure of Land Rover sales woes I guess - but the real clincher for him was image. Personally I think the image is pretty naff - think footballers and their wives - but it would seem I'm in the minority. I've already told him that I'll laugh - a LOT - the first time he gets stranded...