Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Let me down already :( - Probably battery though.

Dammit just went out to my GS-250 to go to a meeting and it's dead, can't even open the doors, no red alarm light illuminated.

Pretty sure its the Battery as I didn't drive it yesterday and the cold weather has arrived and there is no sign of it being replaced in the last 5 years in the MyLexus app.

What Battery do I need, any in particular?  Is it worth going to Lexus or just an auto store?

Thanks folks!

• Like 1

Sorry about your trouble - Lexus have in the past been surprisingly competitive on batteries and wipers - so definitely worth a call - you might even get a free valet not to mention the lovely coffee and biscuits ( personally yet to taste them lol)

Well the car is 5 years old so I suppose it is to be expected that it'll need a new Battery at some point.  Unfortunately after having the car only a month and having no end of trouble with my last car I am a bit annoyed at the moment.

Thanks that's good to know, I'll call them and see what they say.

15 minutes ago, DaveWebDesigner said:

Well the car is 5 years old so I suppose it is to be expected that it'll need a new battery at some point.  Unfortunately after having the car only a month and having no end of trouble with my last car I am a bit annoyed at the moment.

Thanks that's good to know, I'll call them and see what they say.

Tell CAR GIANT to replace it for free under Statutory Law !!

1 minute ago, DaveWebDesigner said:

Hi John, what is the law on these things?

It's been just over a month now I just checked.

Under the Trade Description Act AND SUBSEQUENT AMENDING LEGISLATION IN PARTICULAR CONSUMER RIGHTS ACT 2018 the seller of the car (if a trader) is responsible for anything that goes wrong within 6 months of purchase. If your Battery has failed,then it was failing 2 months ago !!

Look at Google for more info Dave.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveWebDesigner said:

They are happy to pay for the battery so I'll order it then send them the invoice, thanks for the info John I wasn't aware that was the law.

A good result, well done!

7 minutes ago, DaveWebDesigner said:

Now I just hope it is the battery 😀

Well if it is not the Battery, just remember your newly discovered Consumer Rights !!

You should not have to pay anything, repairs, replacements etc are the responsibility of the seller (if a trader).

11 hours ago, Initial P said:

My alternator died recently but my car is twice yours in age, you can get a little voltage cigarette slot reader off eBay for a few quid to help you monitor it.

I have had an alternator go on me in another car, it started ok and I started driving it, then it died on me when I was driving.  Was that what happened to you?

7 minutes ago, DaveWebDesigner said:

Amazingly the car still starts with the battery at 11.82v just fine.  Anyway, got the new one now which I'll fit asap.

It's the right thing to do as you'll see from the chart below. Have you checked that the alternator is actually working though? Putting a voltmeter on the Battery terminals with the engine running should give you a reading in the region of 14V, otherwise your new Battery may be going the same way as the old one quite soon.

bvolts.png.ec3e65b3d8a8783f640af3d54c6eee1d.png

Thanks, that chart is very helpful.  That actually differs to another chart I looked at last night, but it looks like your one is more accurate. 

I just drove with the old Battery still fitted to go and get the new one.  Once back, it's reading 12.33v on the old Battery with the engine off, so definitely charging, albeit not to 100%.

Just seems like it won't hold the charge for very long at all.  The new Battery is indicating a healthy 12.66v.

• Like 2

On 11/30/2018 at 9:01 AM, DaveWebDesigner said:

I have had an alternator go on me in another car, it started ok and I started driving it, then it died on me when I was driving.  Was that what happened to you?

Yes soon after running the Battery light came on the dials & it died about 3 miles later.