Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus RX400h for old man

Keith Hawkes

Due a back/neck problem I wanted a comfortable car that I could get into & out with out a lot of bending. Strange that it seems I can get in and out of a small two door car, say a 107   better than a large four door. Anyway I exstreamly surprised to find everything I needed plus much more in the Lexus. 

Have a few thing that miss due to the age but can and, I think will have to live with, unless someone knows better?

1) can’t upgrade the Map to latest version.

2) can’t download my phone directory. 

3) the 12v conection is way down and out of reach if I connect fm adapter. 

Not a great list of wants so well pleased but need to change f/s front light as it’s has condensation inside and n/s screen washer is a bit lacklustre, are pump individual or a a pair. 

Overall I’m well pleased 😁    

• Like 1

Congratulations on your new car Keith. We need to see photos of the beast 😊

I had an RX300 before my current RX450h but may be able to shed some light.

1) I may be wrong but I think the latest disc you could get would be about 2011 which is way out of date anyway. Even if you could get a 2018 disc the inbuilt navigation system is clunky and difficult to use at the best of times, so I only used it as a rolling screensaver on my RX300, much preferring to use my TomTom or my phone for navigation - a lot less frustrating and far better.

To be honest, I still don't use the integrated satnav even now in my RX450h. It's much newer but still clunky and not a patch on a standalone satnav like the TomTom. Having said that, even my TT is now being used less since I discovered an app for the phone called What3Words. The app is free to download and use and it's very easy and extremely accurate. The whole world has been divided up into 3 metre x 3 metre blocks and each block has a 3 word identity, such as 'Frog.Paper.Beer' or 'Box.Switch.Bus'. Once you've got the three word address from the app you just export it into Google Maps, Waze, or whatever your favourite mapping program is and away you go. It's so accurate that the front door of your house has a different 3 word address to your back door.

2). You definitely should be able to download your phone directory but I do remember it being rather fiddly and needing to follow the instructions in the car's owner's manual to the letter.

3)There are two 12V connectors - one at floor level between driver and passenger seats and the more normal one on the centre console/dash (cigarette lighter). If the FM adapter can be 'set and forget' then I'd use the lower one or if it needs constant adjustment you'll need to use the cigarette lighter one. We don't smoke so I converted the dashboard one to USB sockets for phone charging etc. You should have the cigarette lighter in the same position as you can see my USB sockets so if the FM adapter needs adjusting frequently I'd be putting it there.

usb.thumb.jpg.449419a743ae712f70a13e7ea5bd0daf.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi Keith.

Welcome to the forum.

1) I got the latest maps from eBay. Well, latest up to a few months ago. Doesn't make up for the system being quite dated though.

2) I think you're right with that one.

3) I connect my FM adapter into the ciggie lighter socket.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links