Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My 430 runs on 5-30 synthetic because that is what Lexus says it should run on.

Almost all new cars run on this. Remember the 430 was recommended to run on SJ oil. We now easily run on SN standard, so most oil is better than in 2002.

11 hours ago, Daveyboy20 said:

Fully synthetic? Or part?

Does anyone know the capacity?

Thanks again

Because the oil change is 6k I've always (for at least 10 years) used part synthetic in all my LS's.  If the interval was longer I'd use fully, but it isn't so I don't. None have ever used a drop and it still looks clear before it's changed.

• Like 1

Fully synthetic costs about £4-5 extra. Why not have all that extra protection? I ran my old 1992 Mercedes E Class 124 on it for 10 years even though everyone said semi was ok. When I sold it at 146,000 miles the engine was sweet as a nut.

Oil is cheap .....engines are not.

22 hours ago, Daveyboy20 said:

So many conflicting opinions.  

I trust my indy totally and he has given me chapter and verse on this ( which i can't remember tbh ) and we use 10 or 15/40 semi-synthetic and have done for about 100k miles and it's fine

now on 215k miles and serviced annually with the MOT

used the same oil on my previous Ls400s too and now 18 years in the running .  I now use Wilko oil and it's absolutely fine, made to the usual exacting standards I believe 

Malc

Wilko oil! ....everyone will decry this, but they don't read the spec. For years I have run cars on French Hypermarket oil, Asda oil, Tesco's oil, Euro Car parts oil, and Shell.

All are great. All meet the spec and actually exceed it. Last oil change was ASDA =£15 or Shell =£21. My heart said Shell.......looks good. Head said Asda= brilliant.

• 5 weeks later...

Ive also heard great things about Asda oil.  I dont understand all the specs, but apparently it is meant to be really good O(and lets be honest, they dont make their own oil, so one of the big players must be making it for them.)

Welcome to the LOC. You'll find it very helpful and loads of knowledgeable people on here.  How come you get a Tyne & Wear location as previously the Geordies were in County Durham. Things must have changed in the LOC world!!!. I'm in Washington.  

• Like 1

All oil recommendations should be invalid until the recommender has torn the engine apart and inspection pistons, cylinders, cams etc

Of course, no one will do that, so when I see comments like “it’s a great oil”, I think ‘how can you say that without knowing what the engine looks like internally?’

“Tell me I’m wrong!”

• Like 1

My thoughts ( other thoughts are available!) are that as long as the oil used is the same 'rating' ie 5w30 as the manufacturer stated when they built/released the car then you can't go far wrong as the actually 'quality' or 'specification' of the oil today ( SN or ACEA rankings) are going to be far superior to oils from 20 years ago!

What I can't really get my head around is the oils that say Halfords sell labelled as 5w30 'Ford' or 5w30 'Vauxhall' can it be that specific or is it for the ease of the end user? 

Paul m.

Just now, Texas said:

My thoughts ( other thoughts are available!) are that as long as the oil used is the same 'rating' ie 5w30 as the manufacturer stated when they built/released the car then you can't go far wrong as the actually 'quality' or 'specification' of the oil today ( SN or ACEA rankings) are going to be far superior to oils from 20 years ago!

What I can't really get my head around is the oils that say Halfords sell labelled as 5w30 'Ford' or 5w30 'Vauxhall' can it be that specific or is it for the ease of the end user? 

Paul m.

Both GM and Ford have the own oil spec requirement (eg m2c913-A/B/C for ford) it just means the Halfords oil meets that spec.

So it IS for the ease of the end user, so they don't have to read through the small print on the back looking for M2C913-A to confirm its ok for their Ford, and in fact it could be Exactly the same oil in the 'Vauxhall' can! ( because it meets the Vauxhall spec also)

paul m.

On 1/3/2019 at 3:21 PM, 39buss said:

Welcome to the LOC. You'll find it very helpful and loads of knowledgeable people on here.  How come you get a Tyne & Wear location as previously the Geordies were in County Durham. Things must have changed in the LOC world!!!. I'm in Washington.  

Thanks for the welcome (but not the geordie bit 🙂 (Sunderland).  I have still not got my LS430 on the road yet, having a few issues with the back door not closing, and want to get it all sorted before I start using her.  She is a lovely one owner from new with 75K.

Anyway, back to oil, for anyone wanting to stock up, amazon have castrol magnatec 5w30 fully synthetic on at the moment for £17 for 4L, which is a cracking price. 

7 hours ago, Texas said:

Some European manufacturers have specific oil requirements to use their extended service intervals. 

""amazon have castrol magnatec 5w30 fully synthetic on at the moment for £17 for 4L,""

Not just the fully synthetic but the Stop/Start one which is normally a bit dearer!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Castrol-15990F-Magnatec-Stop-Start-Engine/dp/B01H3UKUMW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546636477&sr=8-2&keywords=magnatec