Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has anyone moved to Lexus from BMW ?

3 minutes ago, BrunoLeal said:

You missed my point. I paid premium for a Lexus. Toyota has the same level of reliability with much lower cost. Of course I would expect that every single detail in a Lexus was perfect. I wouldn't care much if the same happened in a Toyota as my standards would be lower. 😉

Sadly, I think perfection is unobtainable, no matter how much you pay! There'll always be something.

My missus's 17 year old Yaris is a brilliant bit of kit 😁

27 minutes ago, gdh300 said:

Sadly, I think perfection is unobtainable, no matter how much you pay! There'll always be something.

My missus's 17 year old Yaris is a brilliant bit of kit 😁😁

😁

Perfection is subjective yes, but what we are discussing here is simple stuff...for example never had any issue with cold/hot air in my old VW EOS, built 10 years before than my lexus... 

Just now, doog442 said:

Does anyone keep a car for 200K ..of course not. 

As I said above I have moved back and forth between both makes. I've had no issues with either. I

well said. And if it's reliability one is searching for I recommend Merc 190D...old school engines that easily do more than 500k... 😎

2 minutes ago, BrunoLeal said:

well said. And if it's reliability one is searching for I recommend Merc 190D...old school engines that easily do more than 500k... 😎

apologies I edited as hit the keyboard in error (No vino involved in this malfunction) but yes that was my point.

9 hours ago, gdh300 said:

My missus's 17 year old Yaris is a brilliant bit of kit 😁

And my daughter`s Yaris is 19 years old and a brilliant piece of kit.

And my Merc is 232,000 miles old and regularly travelling up and down to Andalucia 4 times a year. 

Perfection is unobtainable,but appreciation is widespread!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BrunoLeal said:

😁

Perfection is subjective yes, but what we are discussing here is simple stuff...for example never had any issue with cold/hot air in my old VW EOS, built 10 years before than my lexus... 

Can't say I've ever noticed any problems with the air con on my IS 300h - just leave it on auto all the time and let it do it's thing - generally set temp to 20C in summer (occasionally 18C if really hot) or 22C in winter so don't change it very often at all. Seems to work just as well as any previous cars (incl. BMWs) I've owned or driven. 

2 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

Can't say I've ever noticed any problems with the air con on my IS 300h - just leave it on auto all the time and let it do it's thing - generally set temp to 20C in summer (occasionally 18C if really hot) or 22C in winter so don't change it very often at all. Seems to work just as well as any previous cars (incl. BMWs) I've owned or driven. 

Yes tbh I've just left it on 21 all year round and I've never noticed any issues. I've never used the sliding strips either because it's always on 21

I've noticed if the sun shines in and the cabin temp starts to rise, the auto climate alogorithm seems to blow cold air on the face vents, rather than try to mix it out. I usually just close down the dash vents slightly to stop it feeling like someone is blowing an icy fan in my face.

Some of the other comments have made me think what BMW offer which i wish Lexus did in the IS, here is my starter for 10

1. Adaptive headlamps, the BMW ones are pretty trick. It is being offered now on NX, RX etc, but the BMW system is superior.

2. 360deg surround view. With F Sport alloys this should be standard fit!

3. Folding rear head rests - (i'm scraping the barrel now!)

Maybe/hopefully all will be in the new IS version?!?

Cant really say I've noticed big changes in temp with my climate, however, I did notice that you can set the fan speed in auto between soft med and high (I think that was he terms used)  - I guess in high you will notice the change more suddenly as the airflow is faster  

Had E90 335i for 4 years before, and our IS300H is going to be 4 years old next March.

The reliability and build quality of the IS300H makes my old BMW feel like a kit car. Aside from fuel and servicing the IS300H hasn't needed any attention, not even an oil top up. 22k and still have just under 5mm of tread on all tyres, will probably be 40K before they need changing!!!

The BMW at similar age needed new fuel pump, water pump, leaking radiator, persistant oil leak which no one could isolate, failed GPS aerial, ignition coils, and the turbo wastegates were starting too go - all at 4 years old under 50K on the clock!!

Only thing the BMW as better at was power delivery, but comparing a twinturbo 3L 6 cylinder petrol unit to a 4 cylinder unit with Prius tech is hardly fair. There is an irritating amount of throttle lag when your really pressing on, but for general pottering around its fine.

Infotainment on the Lexus should be better, but we use nearly 100% Spotify and the Bluetooth in the Lexus works fine.

We were planning to swap the IS300H for a full EV sometime next year, but its been so reliable with such minimal running costs, £10VED, cheapish insurance, true 45-50mpg and only doing 6k miles a year into, the maths just doesn't add up to change it. So we'll be keeping it for a while longer.

• Like 1

My BMW never did this. It would blow slightly warmer or colder air to gradually cool the temperature down. On a long journey i never noticed it. The Lexus just blows cold air and gets noticeably colder in the cabin for a good few minutes.

Mines the same, go from comfy to sub artic in a few minutes, really irritating

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

On 12/2/2018 at 11:26 AM, Steve44 said:

I've noticed if the sun shines in and the cabin temp starts to rise, the auto climate alogorithm seems to blow cold air on the face vents

I haven't noticed that but I have noticed that after switching from recirculated to outside air, a colder, stronger air flow starts coming from the vents if the weather is cold. I might even adjust the vents to compensate.

I wonder if this is happening automatically and unexpectedly causing a colder airflow in some people's cars?

Although you can switch manually between the two modes, the manual says:

"Outside/recirculated air mode may automatically switch depending on the temperature
setting or the inside temperature."

Maybe this is what is happening when colder air suddenly starts coming through the vents.

Good news - the demo car is now sitting in the car park at work.  Bad news is I cannot give it a test until 5.30pm!

Had a quick look at lunch time.  Anyone able to tell me how to input a post code into the Sat Nav.  It's the top level widescreen version but for the life of me I cannot see how to input just a post code ?

I have an 5 series E61 20D as well as the IS300h.

Taking aside the difference in age there isn't a great deal of difference in mileage between the two, both are about 85K, the Lexus doesn't rattle like the BM does

I find the Lexus a nicer car to be in for long periods of time, the BMW seats don't support my upper back much. I also find the BMW a bit more 'vague' when pushing it quickly thorough corners.

However I also acknowledge that the E60/61 is a bigger car than the IS, as a BM comparison it would be better to compare the IS against a 3 series.

I find the German interior a bit too 'sterile' for my liking, the Lexus offers a bit of an alternative and a lot of my customers love the interior of the IS judging by the comments they make. 

Hi All - thanks for all of the opinions/guidance so far.

Had a good drive in the IS300 this evening.  

The demo car is an F-Sport Premier so has all the toys.

I have another questions if anyone can help me please ..............

1.  I can set the adaptive cruise control to a set speed and then can increment by 5 mph by pushing up/down on the stalk.  It is possible to increment by just 1 mph ?  For example I'd like to set the cruise at 50mph and then increment to say 52 mph.  I can only get the increments by 5mph at a time ?

Thanks in advance !

Snap on spec! Pretty much fully loaded.

from memory I think you can adjust the cruise control setting in the menu on the speedo display. You need to have the car “ready” (effectively ‘engine’ running mode) but stopped. Then use the steering wheel 4 way, go to the settings menu and there are a variety of options to adjust cruise, lane departure, speedo display etc. If you are moving these settings are greyed out.

if you long press the cruise button on the stalk it will move into regular cruise control mode too, rather than adaptive.

Right ..... day 2 of the test drive and my view so far.

Firstly, I am amazed at the quality of the paint - much smoother and no orange peel like I have on my BMW.  I also like the grey-ish finish on the wheels.  The car has 10k on the clock and only a few stone chips show.

The demo car has the premier kit so plenty of toys to play with.  Most impressed that the steering wheel and seat can be set to move when you turn the car off - really nice touch for me as at 6' 5" tall it's very easy to get in and out.  The leather is beautiful and actually feels like leather. 

More than happy with the performance of the car - very refined and quiet and I am getting a claimed 49 MPG which I can live with.

The sat nav is an 'experience'.  In my honest opinion it's a bit 'Windows 95'.  I'm going to try and get the motorway signs/lanes guidance working on the way home (apparently I need to turn auto zoom off???.)  Also it seems a slight step backwards that I need to connected to my phone for live traffic etc. when I've been used to cars that have a SIM built in.

I've got used to the shift lever which is a little dated compared to what you get in a modern BMW - i.e. in the Lexus I actually have to put it into park which happens automatically in my BMW.

I was worried about the foot operated parking brake - took me a few attempts to find it initially but now I have that mastered !

I think I've pushed every button on the dash - the dash is busy just like some of the SAAB cars I have had historically.  Cannot quite belief the wealth of options in the various menus.

I really like the way that the speedo can be made to slide over.  It's interesting that Lexus can produce something like that but then blend with the slightly poor Navigation.  Having used I- Drive in BMW I don't see any problem with the  mouse controller now that I've adjusted the sensitivity.  In fact I've dabbled with so many things that they'll need to factory reset the car when I hand it back. 

All in all it's a good package - just need to decide if I can live with the Navigation System !

Lol! The satnav and general infotainment system is an acquired taste, but most of the features are there, just looks like it was designed by 5 different teams using tools from about 5yrs who and not allowed to talk to each other!

To be honest if the SatNav is your only gripe, you are doing great. I guess the main issues that most of the so called expert journalists aren’t an issue?? CVT box, noisy active noise system(you can turn it off), ride a bit jittery etc.

Be interested in your thoughts on ride, steering, comfort etc compared to the so called ultimate driving machine! 

bTW 49mpg is fantastic but don’t get too excited. My current is about 40mpg which is much more realistic for an FSport and the trip comp overeads by at least 10%. Is the 49mpg, after reset, after refuel or after start?? 

5 minutes ago, Steve44 said:

Lol! The satnav and general infotainment system is an acquired taste, but most of the features are there, just looks like it was designed by 5 different teams using tools from about 5yrs who and not allowed to talk to each other!

To be honest if the SatNav is your only gripe, you are doing great. I guess the main issues that most of the so called expert journalists aren’t an issue?? CVT box, noisy active noise system(you can turn it off), ride a bit jittery etc.

Be interested in your thoughts on ride, steering, comfort etc compared to the so called ultimate driving machine! 

bTW 49mpg is fantastic but don’t get too excited. My current is about 40mpg which is much more realistic for an FSport and the trip comp overeads by at least 10%. Is the 49mpg, after reset, after refuel or after start?? 

Yes, I agree - the infotainment team were clearly locked in different sound proof rooms !

Personally, I see no issue with the CVT - I appreciate the noise that it makes but does not bother me.  Having had several diesel cars the noise from the Lexus is an improvement,  I've turned off the active noise system already as could not see the point of it.  The overall ride seems fine to me - in reality it's better that my current BMW which has 19" rims and M-Sport Suspension.

In terms of comfort, the seats are great and remind me of the quality of seat that you used to get in SAAB many years ago.  I also like the lumber support which is normally an option in a BMW.

The 49 MPG is 'after start' and was based on my commute this morning.  I'll have to check out the difference between after refuel and after reset so thanks for pointing that out.

1 hour ago, stevegant said:

Right ..... day 2 of the test drive and my view so far.

Firstly, I am amazed at the quality of the paint - much smoother and no orange peel like I have on my BMW.  I also like the grey-ish finish on the wheels.  The car has 10k on the clock and only a few stone chips show.

The demo car has the premier kit so plenty of toys to play with.  Most impressed that the steering wheel and seat can be set to move when you turn the car off - really nice touch for me as at 6' 5" tall it's very easy to get in and out.  The leather is beautiful and actually feels like leather. 

More than happy with the performance of the car - very refined and quiet and I am getting a claimed 49 MPG which I can live with.

The sat nav is an 'experience'.  In my honest opinion it's a bit 'Windows 95'.  I'm going to try and get the motorway signs/lanes guidance working on the way home (apparently I need to turn auto zoom off???.)  Also it seems a slight step backwards that I need to connected to my phone for live traffic etc. when I've been used to cars that have a SIM built in.

I've got used to the shift lever which is a little dated compared to what you get in a modern BMW - i.e. in the Lexus I actually have to put it into park which happens automatically in my BMW.

I was worried about the foot operated parking brake - took me a few attempts to find it initially but now I have that mastered !

I think I've pushed every button on the dash - the dash is busy just like some of the SAAB cars I have had historically.  Cannot quite belief the wealth of options in the various menus.

I really like the way that the speedo can be made to slide over.  It's interesting that Lexus can produce something like that but then blend with the slightly poor Navigation.  Having used I- Drive in BMW I don't see any problem with the  mouse controller now that I've adjusted the sensitivity.  In fact I've dabbled with so many things that they'll need to factory reset the car when I hand it back. 

All in all it's a good package - just need to decide if I can live with the Navigation System !

Do you really need/use a sat nav as many of us have them, and do not use them for 95% of the time we are in the car.